I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582384 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #2685 on: July 26, 2015, 05:59:58 pm »

God tells us not to kill, and then goes rampant killing entire planets (barring a random family and some animals.) At the very least he's a hypocrite. Very arguably, by his own definition of sin (which isn't "do what I think is right," more "do not do these things, such as murder, because they are inherently wrong. That has been my interpretation, anyway.) he is a sinner.
God tells us not to murder. Murder is unlawful killing. God has nothing against lawful killing, such as in war, self-defense, or capital punishment. Which is basically what he's doing.

The morality might be blue and orange, but it's not inconsistent.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: July 26, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »

Precisely. 'Thou shalt not kill' is a horrible translation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: July 26, 2015, 06:32:28 pm »

But Jesus does basically say not to kill. Obey the state, turn the other cheek, forgive everything, suffer now and be rewarded in heaven.

Heh, imagine if the tribe of Israel heard that. They wouldn't believe it, it's so against old testament scripture.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: July 26, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »

Obeying the state != not killing people - especially considering that this applied to the occupying forces in the area as well.
Turning the other cheek != not killing people - although this phrase has been perverted into a pacifist propaganda slogan, it originally referenced the two ways of slapping: The normal and the bitch slap. Turning the other cheek would force your adversary to slap you the normal way, acknowledging you as an equal. This phrase is about countering insults, not countering deadly force.
Forgiving everything != preventing bad things from happening. Forgiveness happens after the fact, not during.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: July 26, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »

Do you have a source on that? I've heard a couple similar interpretations of that passage, but the common interpretation seems way more in-line with the rest of what Jesus said and did. I mean, one of his defining traits is that he's an omnipotent God figure who passively let people torture him to death. And he forgave them during his crucifixion, not after.

People hold up Jesus' sacrifice as the most forigving act imaginable - I might be wrong, but it's a lot easier for me to see that guy teaching limitless forgiveness rather than teaching his followers how to counter-insult effectively. That just seems so petty compared to everything else he did... except maybe his treatment of fig trees. But that was a metaphor.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: July 26, 2015, 07:26:07 pm »

The turn the other cheek thing is one in a series of popular alternate explanations to things Jesus said which feel strongly to me of amateur scholar hour. They could be true, but I strongly suspect them of being gotchas that spread by being clever inventions rather than the truth.

Other entries include "if any man asks for your cloak, give them your shirt" and "if a man asks that you carry his burden for a mile, carry it for two" being forms of passive resistance against the Romans, as any Roman solider could demand the former ones but would be punished for abuse of power for the latter ones, even if forced upon them by a "generous" Jew.

There's also the now-popular reversal of "blood is thicker than water" as "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb". This one I know to have no clear source.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:06 am »

With the lack of terribleawesome wrestling games, unfortunely.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2694 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:28 pm »

Probably not completely related to the current discussion, but I found this article to be rather interesting.
Oh jesus fuck (unintended), not this guy again. That stuff reads like MDickie.

What's wrong with his writing? I rather like it.

Why you be hatin, bro? ;)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: July 27, 2015, 12:51:33 pm »

Well, Jesus did need to appeal to the people under Roman law. It's mere opinion, one that isn't necessarily covered by NT holy law. Obeying the state is arguably different than serving your elders, and I think that the intrinsic relationships of the latter got favor in Jesus's teachings.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2696 on: July 27, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »

Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 27, 2015, 01:03:16 pm »

The kind of weaseling that only an overworked nihilist bureaucrat could love.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: July 27, 2015, 01:33:43 pm »

The kind of weaseling that only an overworked nihilist bureaucrat could love.
That was the point. His opponents were trying to trick him into either inciting rebellion or being seen as a Roman shill.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:53 pm »

The weasel words vaguely communicate my point, but I'm having trouble putting my words together. Give me a month.

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 521