I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580334 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3450 on: November 13, 2015, 11:53:02 am »

Also free will goes out the window when you consider he hardened Pharoahs heart like 10 times, presumably so God could get some firstborn killing in.

And on a slightly more rocky note, the whole "believe or burn for eternity" thing goes against free will. Eternal burnination, if real, would certainly fall under "under duress" and not really count as freely choosing to follow Christ. I know of a few people who are Christian purely out of fear of Hell.

Makes the whole "follow me out of your own choice" thing modern Christ has going on ring a little hollow.

I was one of those Christians for a long time and agree.

An interesting thing about the hardening of Pharoah's heart is that supposedly the original text blamed that on Ra and that later translations changed it to be God, presumably to deny that any other gods existed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: November 13, 2015, 11:56:16 am »

It's very much an existential and psychological salve to a lot of people throughout their life.
A friend sincerely said to me today, "My life is a mess, but it's okay because I'm Christian." It's an odd sentiment from the outside but makes sense internally I guess.

Also free will goes out the window when you consider he hardened Pharoahs heart like 10 times, presumably so God could get some firstborn killing in.
Wrong god, Ra was the one doing the hardening. Then it got retconned because monotheism.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3452 on: November 13, 2015, 12:13:30 pm »

The old Pascal's Wager has always been a tad abhorrent to me.
You feeling lucky, punk? Did I roast three cheeky nandos, or two?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: November 13, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »

And on a slightly more rocky note, the whole "believe or burn for eternity" thing goes against free will. Eternal burnination, if real, would certainly fall under "under duress" and not really count as freely choosing to follow Christ. I know of a few people who are Christian purely out of fear of Hell.

Makes the whole "follow me out of your own choice" thing modern Christ has going on ring a little hollow.

There's a rabbi, I don't remember his name, who points out that there's obviously two conflicting histories going on, the Bible and empirical observations about the world.  If God exists and created the world then this is obviously intentional.  So which are we supposed to believe?  The book with talking animals and a six-thousand year earth or the brain that God gave us?

Quote from: Proverbs 14:15
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Which leads into what I really think, which is that if God exists (I don't think he does) the only thing that makes sense is the universe is a test and the Bible is the wrong answer. 

Shoes...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: November 13, 2015, 12:53:08 pm »

The old Pascal's Wager has always been a tad abhorrent to me.
I love when people use it though, because it's the easiest thing to poke holes in. Simply introducing another god who may possibly be real (and who's belief is mutually exclusive) automatically zeroes out the whole gain chart, or alternatively propose the existence of a god of atheism, that rewards you in the afterlife for disbelieving in it à la Dresden Codak. (Sadly people seem to have caught onto that, so I don't get to whip out the refutations that often. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: November 13, 2015, 12:55:36 pm »

I don't believe in God but if I did I'd believe in the atheist God.  It's the only thing that makes sense anymore.
Shoes...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: November 13, 2015, 01:52:31 pm »

Wrong god, Ra was the one doing the hardening. Then it got retconned because monotheism.

It was neither. Eating too many deep-fried geese hardened the pharoah's heart.

EDIT:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1253842/The-sacred-junk-food-Egyptian-pharaohs.html
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:01 pm »

It doesn't actually seem to really be against free will to me. While it obviously shows that god *can* take away your free will if he chooses, these are the exception rather than the rule. So everyone that isn't the pharaoh does presumably have free will. Similarly, the fact that he could turn you into a fish if he wanted too doesn't make you any less human now. That all said, it was really a super dick thing to do.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: November 13, 2015, 08:51:20 pm »

I think that pharaoh would have had a chance after the Israelites escaped.

If you read Exodus 14:
"Then the waters returned and covered the chariots, the horsemen, and all the army of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them. Not so much as one of them remained."
It says pharaoh's whole army died, but it doesn't specifically say he died. After seeing all the crazy stuff that happened, pharaoh may have had a change of heart. Even if he did die in the ocean, he believe God still would have given him a chance to change his heart on his own right before he died.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: November 13, 2015, 08:59:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It doesn't seem to explicitly say that he killed them, but it does say that A) He was with the army (on the march at least), and moses said B) "I shall gain glory through the pharaoh and all his army", which strongly implies he will kill them all.

So while it *is* theoretically possible that he chose to turn around at the last instant (although I pretty sure god would have just "hardened his heart" again and made him keep going), I think the bible would have probably noted that he lived and broke off from his army beforehand.

That said, it doesn't really matter if he did survive, the actions he took against him before his death are far more dickish then simply killing him.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: November 13, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »

I just found this in 1 Samuel 6:6

"Why do you harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh did? When Israel's god dealt harshly with them, did they not send the Israelites out so they could go on their way?"

From this verse, it implies that pharaoh hardened his own heart. Perhaps one of the scenarios is a difficult translation. But that's interesting.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: November 13, 2015, 09:09:55 pm »

Lemon, I guess? Most often I've heard the free will argument more along the lines of "God doesn't/can't interfere in free will, that's why he can't [just show us he exists by appearing individually to every person]/[make everyone on Earth believe in him]/[make sure his book is translated correctly/written correctly]/[make sure everyone understands it correctly]/[etc]"

Which Pharoah being fucked with shows that yeah, no, he could do that, hell I even tossed in a few examples of ways he can "interfere with free will" without going all mind-probey.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: November 13, 2015, 09:11:45 pm »

He's God, he can do whatever he wants. He gave us free will so he could love us. It's hard to love a robot.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: November 13, 2015, 09:13:29 pm »

It's hard to love a robot.
Let me tell you about a little thing called a 'waifu'...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: November 13, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

That's a poor excuse, especially considering Hell, as I said originally.

Not much love involved in "You don't believe in me because [reasons, usually involving evidence (or lack there of), or being raised in a different religion]? THEN BURN!" "But you could just like... pop up and tell me I'm wrong! I'm okay with that! You don't even need to stick your godfinger in my brain!" "Nope. Hell."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 521