I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580350 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #4485 on: January 11, 2016, 08:32:38 am »

What both sides of the whole morality debate seem to keep forgetting, is that morality has been around since before any particular religion was introduced in a region, and was still around after it got supplanted by another or after religion no longer held the majority of the population.

Europe for instance did not start killing, stealing and adulterating much more or less after Christianity became widespread (mostly through decidedly immoral means by the way).

Oh, and 'objective morality' goes in the same category as 'objective best ice cream flavor'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: January 11, 2016, 08:37:43 am »

Christianity didn't begin violently necessarily. There was some tolerance of polytheists in places such as Athens - but, yet in others, places of worship were burned.

I think it's fairly safe to say that as it became more established it got more violent, but the original spread also had a lot to do with the shared culture of Greeks and Romans which allowed communication over vast distances - only two languages - and also the fact that quite a few pagans were getting miffed at their after life. Eternity as a ghost in Hades? They preferred the whole angelic paradise idea. Before Christianity they were trying to add "mysteries" into polytheism that gave a better afterlife, but not quickly enough it would seem.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: January 11, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »

Why DO people think the Bible/Quran/other religious books give an accurate description of reality?

Mindless tradition. I blame the fact that parents are given leeway to raise their children however they like
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: January 11, 2016, 03:29:29 pm »

Christianity didn't begin violently necessarily. There was some tolerance of polytheists in places such as Athens - but, yet in others, places of worship were burned.

It did by virtue of being derived from Judiasm; from the old testament. That's where the true beginning of all the Abrahamic religions lay.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: January 11, 2016, 03:31:24 pm »

I blame the fact that parents are given leeway to raise their children however they like
what
thincake

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: January 11, 2016, 03:33:49 pm »

Christianity is the worship of Christ, with some God worship thrown in. Judaism is its father, but not it.

So, specifically speaking of Christianity, an individual sect of Abrahamic religion, it didn't start overly violently.

I blame the fact that parents are given leeway to raise their children however they like
what
Well, it is kinda true. Parents are allowed to bring up their children believing whatever religion they deem fit, not necessarily the truth. In bad cases it leads to extremism.

Not a reason for severing that parent-child connection I would say, though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: January 11, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »

I  think a more appropriate statement would be about how the parents influence beliefs, or something.
thincake

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:58 pm »

Christianity is the worship of Christ, with some God worship thrown in. Judaism is its father, but not it.

So, specifically speaking of Christianity, an individual sect of Abrahamic religion, it didn't start overly violently.

what
Well, it is kinda true. Parents are allowed to bring up their children believing whatever religion they deem fit, not necessarily the truth. In bad cases it leads to extremism.

Nope, separating kids from their parents would be way too extreme. Now a rule that disallows religion for minors, just like alcohol and tobacco, would be an idea. Only teach people about the various world religions in the last years of highschool, in philosophy classes. Once they're eighteen, they're free to join any religion they like, or none at all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:47:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:47 pm »

what

Nope, separating kids from their parents would be way too extreme. Now a rule that disallows religion for minors, just like alcohol and tobacco, would be an idea. Only teach people about religion in the last years of highschool, in philosophy classes. Once they're eighteen, they're free to join any religion they like, or none at all.
good luck.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: January 11, 2016, 03:57:43 pm »

Do you say "good luck" because you're against it, or because you think it's unlikely?

If the latter, then you're right. It is unlikely that parents won't attempt to teach their children what they see as the truth, despite it...perhaps...not being so, but were such a blanket ban to be introduced it would at least give some easily-manipulated-children-who-are-now-less-manipulatable-adults the chance to choose their own path, or to not choose one at all. Practices such as Sunday School - which, depending on your church, can be akin to indoctrination and at best gentle coercion - would no longer be legally valid. It may even promote tolerance if everyone chose their own faith. Also, it may promote tolerance in other ways - I distinctly remember a Sunday School teacher of mine laughing at Jews because they didn't believe in Jesus.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: January 11, 2016, 04:00:22 pm »

It'd also mean the schools would teach non-religious points of view as absolute fact with no protest.
thincake

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: January 11, 2016, 04:01:02 pm »

Do you say "good luck" because you're against it, or because you think it's unlikely?

If the latter, then you're right. It is unlikely that parents won't attempt to teach their children what they see as the truth, despite it...perhaps...not being so, but were such a blanket ban to be introduced it would at least give some easily-manipulated-children-who-are-now-less-manipulatable-adults the chance to choose their own path, or to not choose one at all. Practices such as Sunday School - which, depending on your church, can be akin to indoctrination and at best gentle coercion - would no longer be legally valid. It may even promote tolerance if everyone chose their own faith. Also, it may promote tolerance in other ways - I distinctly remember a Sunday School teacher of mine laughing at Jews because they didn't believe in Jesus.
I said it sarcastically because I knew it wouldn't happen. You'd piss off about 85% of the world.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: January 11, 2016, 04:03:05 pm »

It'd also mean the schools would teach non-religious points of view as absolute fact with no protest.

The schools would teach fact, you mean? They could throw in the odd bit of "this religion thinks this, though, and this one that" if they wanted.

I said it sarcastically because I knew it wouldn't happen. You'd piss off about 85% of the world.
I would. And wouldn't it be glorious? Sometimes, for advancement, people need to be peeved off.

Edit: Though, I must say it shows a certain insecurity in your faith's validity if you don't think non-indoctrinated children would choose it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: January 11, 2016, 04:13:38 pm »

It's more how saying atheism is fact and then saying 'yo hav the religuns' is kinda, well, indoctrination.
thincake

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: January 11, 2016, 04:15:21 pm »

No, it's saying there are many religions. Here is what we know. Here is what religions say. You're now mature, pick.

As opposed to:

There is one true religion. This is what it says. You'd better stick with it, or hell/associated companies.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 521