I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582225 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #4560 on: January 12, 2016, 07:19:29 pm »

New title.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4561 on: January 12, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »

I change the title every time someone mentions the title.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: January 12, 2016, 07:23:30 pm »

Nice Title.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4563 on: January 12, 2016, 07:25:49 pm »

Yeah but you'll just make OW get meta and not change the title

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:30 pm »

I change the title every time someone mentions the title.
*waits*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »

"Everyone's a cryptic in their own way"
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #4566 on: January 12, 2016, 07:59:34 pm »

Semi-random note, I misread the title and thought it say 'I am enlightened by my Ethiopia'.

Something something Ras Tafari
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:53 pm »

This title-changing spree is enlightening...
Sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #4568 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:31 pm »

Semi-random note, I misread the title and thought it say 'I am enlightened by my Ethiopia'.

Something something Ras Tafari

I and I be irie while Bablyon burns mon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4569 on: January 12, 2016, 10:30:11 pm »

"Everyone's a cryptic in their own way"
POPERY

Also, I'm going to be a colossal hypocrite and everyone to tone the shitposting down a bit. We're getting slightly too derailed here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:32:04 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: January 12, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »

Popourri, the holiest air freshener you've ever smelled. Made with real popes!

... I'll ask it, though, to lessen the post's frippery, does anyone have any idea how well the underground relic market is doing these days? How much would a jar of pope-infused potpourri run for?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: January 12, 2016, 10:53:38 pm »

Life Advice would probably be the better place for this, but I'd rather not make an entire topic out of it.

Lately, I've been getting into some arguments with my mother. She is Protestant Christian while I consider myself Agnostic. I try to be as objective as possible in all aspects of life so I don't completely accept nor deny anything in the Bible. Some of its writings are very fantastic, yes, but I think it's ignorant to disregard something just because it conflicts with your view of the world.

Anyways, my mother wants me to attend church, read the Bible and listen to speeches like this, but I've turned them all down. She wants me to be Christian but I've told her that I'm happy in life without religion and it would just be "going through he motions" if I did all of this for her. I'm not the type of person to put complete faith in anything so I don't want to lie and say I have sincere faith in everything in the Bible. In response she said that she's very concerned for my soul and does not want me to face eternal damnation.

To be clear, I've never been condescending towards her religion or argued against the Bible in our arguments. I've tried to remain as neutral as possible but she's interpreted my hesitation as complete Atheism. I've very heavily stressed that I am Agnostic but she's not satisfied with that. I hate seeing her so unhappy so can anyone offer advice about how to resolve this?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4572 on: January 12, 2016, 11:14:00 pm »

Tell her you're looking for God and it's something you have to do on your own, and you're thankful for her efforts to help but they're not helping

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: January 12, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »

There is no resolution that will leave both of you happy. A universe without a god and a universe with a very particular and demanding one are irreconcilable, and so too is the difference in viewpoint that you and she have. Given her behavior, if you prostrate your mind to her religion and walk the walk she'll be happy, but I imagine you probably don't want to do that.

The issue isn't whether or not you've disrespected her religion, your very state as not being a Christian is offensive from where she's standing. This trait is fairly ubiquitous among universalizing religions.

The ideal solution for the both of you here, and I'm being completely serious here, is for her beliefs to become so severely mired and confused that she stops thinking about your agnosticism entirely. You can't really make that happen, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: January 12, 2016, 11:18:44 pm »

Life Advice would probably be the better place for this, but I'd rather not make an entire topic out of it.

Lately, I've been getting into some arguments with my mother. She is Protestant Christian while I consider myself Agnostic. I try to be as objective as possible in all aspects of life so I don't completely accept nor deny anything in the Bible. Some of its writings are very fantastic, yes, but I think it's ignorant to disregard something just because it conflicts with your view of the world.

Anyways, my mother wants me to attend church, read the Bible and listen to speeches like this, but I've turned them all down. She wants me to be Christian but I've told her that I'm happy in life without religion and it would just be "going through he motions" if I did all of this for her. I'm not the type of person to put complete faith in anything so I don't want to lie and say I have sincere faith in everything in the Bible. In response she said that she's very concerned for my soul and does not want me to face eternal damnation.

To be clear, I've never been condescending towards her religion or argued against the Bible in our arguments. I've tried to remain as neutral as possible but she's interpreted my hesitation as complete Atheism. I've very heavily stressed that I am Agnostic but she's not satisfied with that. I hate seeing her so unhappy so can anyone offer advice about how to resolve this?

I'm gonna go with my fallback suggestion here, which is to quote Ecclesiastes all the time
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 521