I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582080 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #4860 on: January 20, 2016, 05:18:24 pm »

Because Islam is culture and true, jihads are just islamophobes if you agree you're a white supremacist and maybe you should let yourself get enriched a bit?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4861 on: January 20, 2016, 06:26:06 pm »

That sounds... dangerous.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: January 20, 2016, 07:32:11 pm »

Quantum Zeno effect

You know, I'd heard about that effect before but totally forgot it was a thing until you mentioned it.

I wonder if it could be used to keep the fissile material in a nuclear bomb viable for longer. And if so dies the gobernment already use that. And if yes to 1 and no to 2, why not?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: January 20, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »

Quantum mechanic's effect on my thought processes are inherently unpredictable, therefore I have free will.
Can randomness really be called a meaningful choice? If you say that free will comes from randomness, literally everything has free will and it's still not anything worth cherishing.
'Everything has free will' does not lead to 'free will is not worth cherishing'.

Quantum Zeno effect, Telgin. :P plus I don't necessarily believe that I have to magically influence it in order to have free will. Though the concept is fairly meaningless

Going to be honest... I'm not sure I see how the quantum Zeno effect affects anything here.  I am operating on 5 hours of sleep, so maybe I'm just missing something.

In order for us to have free will, our decisions have to come from something other than determinism and random behavior
.  What other possibilities even exist, aside from something immeasurable and divine / magical?  So far as I can tell, the quantum Zeno effect is just influencing randomness, but it's still random results.  The measurements that cause the influence themselves must be either deterministic or random, right?  I don't see how you can avoid determinism or randomness as long as you stick with physics.
I disagree.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: January 20, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »

Well... okay.  I'm curious what else you think can bring about free will, but I guess you'd have volunteered it if you wanted to keep this conversation going.  Or we just have incompatible understandings of what free will is.

Probably for the best anyway, since I've grown a bit sour about talking about free will anyway.  Last time I had a serious conversation with someone about it, I sent them into spiraling depression...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4865 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:55 pm »

Probably for the best anyway, since I've grown a bit sour about talking about free will anyway.  Last time I had a serious conversation with someone about it, I sent them into spiraling depression...
That's awesome, determinists make me depressed too

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: January 20, 2016, 10:29:11 pm »

Well... okay.  I'm curious what else you think can bring about free will, but I guess you'd have volunteered it if you wanted to keep this conversation going.  Or we just have incompatible understandings of what free will is.

I just don't think that determinism+randomness means there's no such thing as free will.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: January 21, 2016, 01:55:37 am »

That's the big problem, it's a very poorly defined term.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: January 21, 2016, 02:11:23 am »

Yeah I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean, and I'm pretty sure it means very different things to various people.  I'm sure a professional philosopher could say some interesting things about it, but in the end I don't see what difference it could make. 

I mean, I'm open to the idea of universes constantly splitting on the quantum scale...  But that doesn't give me any more agency than I already have, just changes the sensory input and my brain chemistry.  Pick a line on the quantum tree and the question's the same:  If it was always going to happen this way, did I have a choice?

Well yeah, I thought about the thing and made the choice, like I was always going to.  Is that "free will"?  I don't understand the question.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: January 21, 2016, 02:31:29 am »

Well yeah, I thought about the thing and made the choice, like I was always going to.  Is that "free will"?  I don't understand the question.

That's just "will"
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4870 on: January 21, 2016, 02:41:54 am »

This is why free will is such a nebulous concept and I'm so dubious of theodicies revolving around it. Well, that and the implicit other issues, but mainly that.

I mean, I voted for 'no free will', but that's only in a highly theoretical sense. It's all rather complicated, really.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: January 21, 2016, 06:00:54 am »

Will is a function of the brain. Does it get to decide a thing? Huzzah, you have free will!

That wasn't so hard. These things are all so much easier if you don't get mired in made up metaphysical rhubarb. I think the part where most went wrong is where they assumed they were some sort of magical being inhabiting a human body, then realized the brain makes all the decisions and feel their existence as a 'soul' is threatened.

Which makes it all the more surprising to see the atheist make up the majority of the 'no free will' group.

I especially like the cat-leap of logic that suggested there can be no free will without a divine force directing all we do.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4872 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:21 am »

Will is a function of the brain. Does it get to decide a thing? Huzzah, you have free will!
No, that's just choices. Free will is by definition non-deterministic. If our choices are ultimately the product of external stimuli, then it's not free will.

Admittedly this is just a semantics argument, but w/e, it's the definition I had in mind when I made the poll.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: January 21, 2016, 06:18:19 am »

I really think this is a very bad discussion topic because it's gonna go nowhere and it's been debated forever through history without any resolution.  :'(

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: January 21, 2016, 06:30:33 am »

No, that's just choices. Free will is by definition non-deterministic. If our choices are ultimately the product of external stimuli, then it's not free will.

Admittedly this is just a semantics argument, but w/e, it's the definition I had in mind when I made the poll.

I believe our choices are ultimately deterministic.

However a lot of people make some really odd conclusions when you state there is no "free" will.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 521