I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582149 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6060 on: January 23, 2017, 03:09:40 am »

Accept that the universe is objectively meaningless, all of your actions in the past are the result of contextual scenarios, that you cannot alter the past, and attempt to live the remainder of your life in concordance with your self-defined values and be the best of yourself?

I don't think any of that even necessarily requires atheism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: January 23, 2017, 07:00:32 pm »

Or just chill.
thincake

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: January 24, 2017, 04:43:32 pm »

It sounds as though you would benefit from airing your troubles, to a psychologist probably, although confession probably works to some extent...
If you want to avoid contaminating the source of your world? Don't worry, it is also the source of your contamination...
If you want to be a better person, self-analyse. If you do not know what a better state is, and do not know the difference between your current state and that of the desired state, then any improvements will be largely random. You shouldn't expect to make a decent paper plane if you don't know what shape you want it and can't see the paper... Really, I inherently distrust any religion that doesn't preach self-understanding. The whole idea of "sin" feels to me like it is telling you what is wrong arbitrarily so that you don't need to bother looking at evidence or thinking about anything... Compare with things like Fox News that would get you caught up over how they are wrong about an issue and really win by having you ignore this other issue that they don't even mention or just drop and an inconsequentiality... Your sins probably haven't caused as much damage as you think and the damage you have caused probably had more contributing factors than you think.

Really, bad deeds are not a matter of the consequences they have. Humans are not equipped to know all of the consequences of their actions. Bad deeds are the result of failing to attempt to predict what consequences you are able to. You can have good intentions by spraying water at a cat to get it out of a tree, but whether it safely runs home, runs onto a road, plummets from the tree and lands badly, or climbs higher doesn't change the fact that you were probably acting with undue haste and a lack of consideration, but ideally the cat wouldn't have been stuck up a tree to begin with.

Minds are far less malleable than people think. With sufficient resources, it is possible to murder someone by compelling them to commit suicide. Advertising does have a measurable effect. Thoughts are not that important, it is all just a big mess of circumstance. Whatever bad deeds you feel that you may have committed were(most likely) performed by your own hands, but being the person that you were you didn't possess the means to act differently. All that you can do is try to mould yourself to behave better in the future, and that means self-understanding...

Also, consider that a great many very unhappy people have died, often in great numbers over a short period of any given dimension. There is a decent chance that any being that interacts with the dead has been displaced at some point... Maybe god number 38926 could benefit from your relative decency...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: February 06, 2017, 01:32:45 pm »

Accept that the universe is objectively meaningless, all of your actions in the past are the result of contextual scenarios, that you cannot alter the past, and attempt to live the remainder of your life in concordance with your self-defined values and be the best of yourself?

I don't think any of that even necessarily requires atheism.
I agree completely. It's a bit hard early on, but if you keep the "universe is objectively meaningless" on the backburner, and focus on it only to put things into perspective (it works surprisingly well at making bad things not seem as bad), then I think you'll feel a lot better about yourself.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: February 06, 2017, 06:23:23 pm »

The alternative is that viewing the universe as essentially meaningless can cause you to look into the Void of Self and see, with horror, no purpose.

Not to mention names, but previously in this (or one of these) thread(s) a Forumite essentially said that "something" and "nothing" are essentially no different - without a God, the universe may as well not exist.

As a rejoinder that I just thought of, the universe does hold meaning so long as someone/thing believes it does, and god(s) need not feature into that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »

I just realised this is the religion thread, I've thought it was genuinely 120+ pages of railgun discussion and often wondered "what the hell do they talk about to fill so many pages"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:58 pm »

Railgun is love, railgun is life.

Embrace the rail gun, and have real fun.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: February 06, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »

(;
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6068 on: February 06, 2017, 08:04:08 pm »

*Have rail fun

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: February 07, 2017, 12:24:50 am »

God is dead, we shot him with our railguns.
Praise coil.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:24 am »

ye shall be anointed with coil
thincake

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: February 07, 2017, 11:59:08 am »

it feels like this is more of a railgun thread that occasionally gets derailed (decoiled?) by spirituality discussion.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: February 07, 2017, 12:21:43 pm »

it feels like this is more of a railgun thread that occasionally gets derailed (decoiled?) by spirituality discussion.
It's a railgun. It has rails. If it had coils, it would be a coilgun. Please.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: February 07, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »

...Degaussed?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 521