Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Temple ideas!  (Read 10571 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Temple ideas!
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:55 pm »

Do you get a Bloody Mary or a Ghandi?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:01 pm »

For funerals I'd feel sorry for the dwarven pallbearer. The poor guy would have to just heft a rock casket with a corpse in it onto his shoulders and haul it all the way to the memorial hall. Granted the haulsmiths basically do that already. It's still a funny picture I have in my head.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2015, 03:38:30 am »

The issue of altar items and priesthood gets dicey when it comes to disfavored religions.  Are heretics hidden from the player like vampires are?  Can you tell who owns a banned religious item by looking at it?  Is heresy/blashpemy/etc a crime handled by the dwarven justice system, or do the faithful of the dominant religion take matters into their own hands (with possible loyalty cascades)?
This is an interesting implication. I may be completely wrong here but I think Toady mentioned something about factions within a fortress. It'd be nice to have the option of free religion or to have a repressive religion tied with the law. Or maybe it could be up to the noble in charge. Do you get a Bloody Mary or a Ghandi?

There's always the old, "Build each faction their own part of the fortress and keep them as separate as possible" strategy. I'm interested to see how that would work with procedurally generated religious conflicts, too - some worlds may have just one religion relatively ostracised from the rest, others may have different sides drawn up.

It'd be a good excuse to build an automated minecart system, if (say) the least-liked group are in charge of farming.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 06:39:59 am »

You have strangely specific ideas of how the game is supposed to operate.  This is not a D&D game you're running for your friends where you get to make pronouncements about how reality works.  It's Toady's game, and he has put reintroducing an economy on the development roadmap.  Yes, you will need to worry about your dwarves being able to afford their meals.  When that happens, there will probably be an analog of forbidding that reserves items (or entire stockpiles) for official fortress use.

Toady One would be foolish if he reintroduced the 'economy' so it worked essentially the way it did last time.  Dwarves starving to death because they cannot afford food *is* part of what made the 'economy' broken.  There is reason that the old economy was scrapped rather than simply fixed and that is because the fundamental concept as to how it worked was broken. 

I do not know of any sources where Toady One promises to reintroduce the 'economy' in the old sense of a meta-feature plonked on top of the existing economy when the correct conditions are met.  I believe that is just a rumour spread by fans of the old economy concept like yourself.  What is the case however is that Toady One has plans to expand the existing economy by adding things like caravans travelling across the map and trading with travellers; both of these however are building on the existing system not reintroducing anything, caravans and fortresses trading with adventurers is already in the game. 

That is way things are going, strangely specific ideas related to developing the existing economy brick by brick are how things are being done and not vague megaplans to reorganise Dwarf Fortress so it works in a way that von-Hayek can relate to. 

The issue of altar items and priesthood gets dicey when it comes to disfavored religions.  Are heretics hidden from the player like vampires are?  Can you tell who owns a banned religious item by looking at it?  Is heresy/blashpemy/etc a crime handled by the dwarven justice system, or do the faithful of the dominant religion take matters into their own hands (with possible loyalty cascades)?

This all rather works on the assumption that there would be heretics.  Why would the player invent heretics in the first place, what purpose would that serve?

Historically heretics were normally defined by the government for political reasons, that is it was a way to surpress unorthodox political ideologies while effectively demonising them at the same time.  Until we have an opposition that has opposing ideologies to the player's, the player would only play along with heresy hunting if they were literally forced to do so by the game. 

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »

PTW!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2015, 07:24:10 pm »

... Oh my god, GoblinCookie. Just, you're aware that DF is a simulation, right? Not everything has to have 100% game-value and be completely controlled by the player. It's not like we get to pick what kind of immigrants we get or which family lines eventually join the world-gen nobility, having story-elements that can only happen naturally makes the the world seem more alive and makes for a better simulation. You think there's going to be strategic value to the kinds of poetry dwarves will  prefer in the next release? I don't. It'll be fun and neat to go through the histories of various poets and musicians, but I can't see how anything the Dev-blog is currently talking about could possibly be interpreted as strictly game-logic.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:42 am »

I do not know of any sources where Toady One promises to reintroduce the 'economy' in the old sense of a meta-feature plonked on top of the existing economy when the correct conditions are met.  I believe that is just a rumour spread by fans of the old economy concept like yourself.  What is the case however is that Toady One has plans to expand the existing economy by adding things like caravans travelling across the map and trading with travellers; both of these however are building on the existing system not reintroducing anything, caravans and fortresses trading with adventurers is already in the game. 

That is way things are going, strangely specific ideas related to developing the existing economy brick by brick are how things are being done and not vague megaplans to reorganise Dwarf Fortress so it works in a way that von-Hayek can relate to. 
The dev page mentions prices derived from supply and demand, and imperfect knowledge of prices elsewhere in the world.  Sounds pretty Hayek-y.

It doesn't mention player-set prices.

This all rather works on the assumption that there would be heretics.  Why would the player invent heretics in the first place, what purpose would that serve?

Historically heretics were normally defined by the government for political reasons, that is it was a way to surpress unorthodox political ideologies while effectively demonising them at the same time.  Until we have an opposition that has opposing ideologies to the player's, the player would only play along with heresy hunting if they were literally forced to do so by the game.
The player doesn't invent heretics, any more than the player invents grudges.  If you play a civ that has a religion that doesn't play nicely with the dominant one(s), then you're going to have religious outcasts, heretics, heathens, cultists, pagans, or whatever you want to call them.  The dominant religion's attitude toward the disfavored religion would affect the seriousness of the "offense."  Mere misguided souls (heathens, pagans, and cult members) are treated harshly, while those actively against the dominant faith (heretics and cult leaders) have historically been singled out for especially barbaric treatment.  Of course, some religions are so commando that they peg the punishment for every non-believer at the high end.

My guess is that the game would unrealistically max out heresy punishments at EXILE so that "nice" civs (without TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE) won't go around burning witches at the stake.

In any case, the UI question is whether the player knows about any heretics (etc.) in the fort.  I think not knowing would be a nice change of pace from the typical vampire hunt.  In a distant-future version of the game, you might find a mined-out area with a secret temple in it, but how in the world do the dwarves use it without revealing those tiles to the player?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2015, 09:28:49 am »

By the way, temples can perform some redistribution to take the edge off of the economy.  Richer dwarves are expected to tithe more, and with those donations the temple can feed/clothe/etc the poor.  It could be a direct redistribution of coins, but I have higher hopes than that.
Just got back, updating:

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2015, 09:32:47 am »

By the way, temples can perform some redistribution to take the edge off of the economy.  Richer dwarves are expected to tithe more, and with those donations the temple can feed/clothe/etc the poor.  It could be a direct redistribution of coins, but I have higher hopes than that.
I like this idea, depending on the god in question.  A god of greed, for instance, might expect their worshippers to either pay high tithes to the priests (which the priests then keep) or not pay tithes at all and keep it all for themselves.  It will be interesting to see what Toady eventually decides on in terms of temples.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2015, 12:49:36 pm »

... Oh my god, GoblinCookie. Just, you're aware that DF is a simulation, right? Not everything has to have 100% game-value and be completely controlled by the player. It's not like we get to pick what kind of immigrants we get or which family lines eventually join the world-gen nobility, having story-elements that can only happen naturally makes the the world seem more alive and makes for a better simulation. You think there's going to be strategic value to the kinds of poetry dwarves will  prefer in the next release? I don't. It'll be fun and neat to go through the histories of various poets and musicians, but I can't see how anything the Dev-blog is currently talking about could possibly be interpreted as strictly game-logic.

Indeed, however it is not fun when the player is forced to implement certain economic policies by some kind of heavy-handed game mechanics equivilant of IMF.  Yet it is not clear why certain of Dirst and Deboche's economic policies (such as internal prices for food, rooms or drink) would ever be implemented by the player otherwise. 

The old system as I understand it was just that, the fortress functions happily using the present economic system until it gets to a certain wealth and then the IMF-code turns up whether you like it or not, activating something nasty called the economy.   ;D

The dev page mentions prices derived from supply and demand, and imperfect knowledge of prices elsewhere in the world.  Sounds pretty Hayek-y.

It doesn't mention player-set prices.

What you are referring to is this.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
World economy

Supply/demand based on current available entity resources etc.
    Expand on trade/tribute relationships formed in world generation
    Realize trade/tribute relationships with actual caravans moving on the map
    Ability to get some supply/demand information about nearby locations from travelers and others
    Ability to get that information yourself and trade it to merchants, especially as explorer
    Replace dwarf mode generated caravans with actual caravans
    Improved dwarf mode trade agreements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc.
    Fairs

The emphasis here is on the world economy.  There is nothing here about developing the internal site economy only the economy at the level of sites and caravans (what already exists).  The only possible exception to this is the last entry, that is fairs.

I understand to mean however that fairs as an extension of caravans, basically they are travelling fairs which set up outside or inside your settlements and from which individual dwarves will buy particular items they want (using an allowance given to them by the player?).  What is hopeful simply from addition of fairs as a seperate thing from caravans is that Toady One seems to understand what I pointed out earlier, that the player's purchasing things will end up clashing with individual dwarves purchasing things. 

von-Hayak's basic idea is that prices transmit accurate information as to the situation of things in the economy that allow individuals to plan their economic activities accordingly.  The intended political consequence of this is that governments should never fix or attempt to interfere with prices because the freedom to set prices is now essential to the proper functioning of supply and demand. 

There is little correspondance between what he was saying and the way that Dwarf Fortress is planned/does handle trade.  Prices are not being taken by traders to reflect the actual supply and demand but instead it is all a game of poker where the vital skill is the ability to decieve people as to the actual value of items and to avoid being decieved yourself (Appraise). 

These two entries are actually very un-Hayakian.

Ability to get some supply/demand information about nearby locations from travelers and others
    Ability to get that information yourself and trade it to merchants, especially as explorer

Hayakian merchants trade primarily based upon the prices which accurately reflect the situation as regards supply and demand.  A Hayakian merchant would not buy information about supply and demand but information about the prices of goods. By having the merchants instead seek to know independantly what is in great supply and what is in demand essentially so that they cannot be decieved by the prices set by other merchants the game is rather saying the opposite to von-Hayak.

Quote from: Dirst
The player doesn't invent heretics, any more than the player invents grudges.  If you play a civ that has a religion that doesn't play nicely with the dominant one(s), then you're going to have religious outcasts, heretics, heathens, cultists, pagans, or whatever you want to call them.  The dominant religion's attitude toward the disfavored religion would affect the seriousness of the "offense."  Mere misguided souls (heathens, pagans, and cult members) are treated harshly, while those actively against the dominant faith (heretics and cult leaders) have historically been singled out for especially barbaric treatment.  Of course, some religions are so commando that they peg the punishment for every non-believer at the high end.

My guess is that the game would unrealistically max out heresy punishments at EXILE so that "nice" civs (without TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE) won't go around burning witches at the stake.

In any case, the UI question is whether the player knows about any heretics (etc.) in the fort.  I think not knowing would be a nice change of pace from the typical vampire hunt.  In a distant-future version of the game, you might find a mined-out area with a secret temple in it, but how in the world do the dwarves use it without revealing those tiles to the player?

That was not the core issue, I had sorta guessed you would answer that way but I was making sure of it.

Granted there are proceedurely generated heretics why would the player care to actually engage in heresy hunting. Unlike vampires heretics are actually quite harmless; yes agreeing with the dominant religion as to what *is* a heretic and formerly commiting yourself to eradicate heresy may be a good idea to keep said folks happy but that is the end of it. 

You see heresy hunting, unlike heretics themselves is rather harmful.  You are standing to lose good, skilled dwarves who would be quite harmless.  The ideal stategy then is to formally make heresy a 'crime' but see to it that as much as possible no heretics are actually ever caught. 

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2015, 01:23:29 pm »

GoblinCookie: Stop thinking of things as a game, where every mechanic must make things better for the player.  The vampire mechanic does nothing but screw over your fortress, to the point that the people who write utilities find ways to make it easier to find them.  The ghosts rising does nothing useful for you (barring silly bugs that will be squished in the future).  They're just there to make the game more interesting and enhance the simulation.  Yes, it still needs to be playable, but none of the suggestions you rage against so vehemently would actually ruin the game.  Maybe they'd bug you, but nothing here would faze me.  You also constantly compare what people suggest to older, broken mechanics without actually taking into account the fact that Toady can write a better way of doing things in that regard.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:25:17 pm by 4maskwolf »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:25 pm »

Yet it is not clear why certain of Dirst and Deboche's economic policies (such as internal prices for food, rooms or drink) would ever be implemented by the player otherwise.
The player doesn't implement food prices any more than the player implements haunting ghosts or wound infections or vermin.  They're elements of the setting.  If you don't like a new feature (and it's not adjustable to your liking), just don't upgrade your free copy of the game.

The old system as I understand it was just that, the fortress functions happily using the present economic system until it gets to a certain wealth and then the IMF-code turns up whether you like it or not, activating something nasty called the economy.   ;D
Transitioning from an outpost-like commonwealth to a city-like market without a discrete state change would be quite a feat, but it's essential for an on-site economy to function properly.  It's out of scope for this suggestion thread on temples, except to note that temples can smooth the transition by looking out for the undercapitalized.

The emphasis here is on the world economy.  There is nothing here about developing the internal site economy only the economy at the level of sites and caravans (what already exists).  The only possible exception to this is the last entry, that is fairs.

I understand to mean however that fairs as an extension of caravans, basically they are travelling fairs which set up outside or inside your settlements and from which individual dwarves will buy particular items they want (using an allowance given to them by the player?).  What is hopeful simply from addition of fairs as a seperate thing from caravans is that Toady One seems to understand what I pointed out earlier, that the player's purchasing things will end up clashing with individual dwarves purchasing things.
We'll have a better idea how this is intended to work when the taverns appear in a release.

It reminds me of an entertaining discussion the writers had back in the days of Deep Space 9.  Some were insisting that the Star Trek universe was post-capitalist and there was no money.  "Well then," went the counterargument, "what are all of those people doing in the casino?" 

von-Hayak's basic idea is that prices transmit accurate information as to the situation of things in the economy that allow individuals to plan their economic activities accordingly.  The intended political consequence of this is that governments should never fix or attempt to interfere with prices because the freedom to set prices is now essential to the proper functioning of supply and demand. 
That is not in the paper I linked, though it does sum up the ultimate logical conclusion of "freshwater economics" which includes the "Chicago School."  This particular paper was written at approximately the same time that economics-of-information was emerging as a field, and since that time we've come to understand a lot more about when and if someone would truthfully reveal their private information.  Short answer: only when it's in their own interest to do so, and in those cases it's usually costly to signal the information in a credible way (for example, offering unconditional warranties to signal your product quality).

The basic premise of the Hayek paper I actually linked is what might be called an economic version of the Gaia Hypothesis, that changes in supply and demand can influence production decisions through prices (and stock-outs).  Temples may have some role to play in smoothing out economic shocks (by accepting donations during gluts and giving things away during shortages), but it's tangential to their primary purpose in a fort.

There is little correspondance between what he was saying and the way that Dwarf Fortress is planned/does handle trade.  Prices are not being taken by traders to reflect the actual supply and demand but instead it is all a game of poker where the vital skill is the ability to decieve people as to the actual value of items and to avoid being decieved yourself (Appraise). 

These two entries are actually very un-Hayakian.
That's because the supply and demand considerations aren't in the game yet.  And since trading skills will continue to affect prices, we won't have a happy utopian Coase Theorem world where everything is fair.  Mostly because bringing fairness into DF would be unseemly :)

Hayakian merchants trade primarily based upon the prices which accurately reflect the situation as regards supply and demand.  A Hayakian merchant would not buy information about supply and demand but information about the prices of goods. By having the merchants instead seek to know independantly what is in great supply and what is in demand essentially so that they cannot be decieved by the prices set by other merchants the game is rather saying the opposite to von-Hayak.
Not sure where you get the idea that no one would ever buy information, and even if you somehow thought that was implied, trading for information is specifically on the dev page.

That was not the core issue, I had sorta guessed you would answer that way but I was making sure of it.

Granted there are proceedurely generated heretics why would the player care to actually engage in heresy hunting. Unlike vampires heretics are actually quite harmless; yes agreeing with the dominant religion as to what *is* a heretic and formerly commiting yourself to eradicate heresy may be a good idea to keep said folks happy but that is the end of it. 

You see heresy hunting, unlike heretics themselves is rather harmful.  You are standing to lose good, skilled dwarves who would be quite harmless.  The ideal stategy then is to formally make heresy a 'crime' but see to it that as much as possible no heretics are actually ever caught.
Again, there are plenty of details outside the player's control that affect gameplay (at least for people paying attention) like grudges and assaults.  Depending on the civ's relationship between church and state, the discovery of heretical religious materials might plop a crime into the justice system.  Having the unsolved crime linger could cause stress.

The player could certainly hunt down the heretic, but it'd be fun to have some other alternatives.  Coming back to what I mentioned earlier, does having the player order a shrine suddenly make that religion okay?  Probably not.  Would putting a heretic (known to the player but not the other citizens) in a position of authority soften views toward that religion "subliminally?"  That would be interesting, especially given the risk of the heretic being unmasked before he/she has won acceptance for the religion... putting the faith in an even worse position than it was before.
Just got back, updating:

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:59 pm »

Let's not be too harsh on GoblinCookie. It helps to strengthen the suggestions when there's active resistance against them. Although I'm pretty sure Toady only reads the first post and skims the rest.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »

GoblinCookie: Stop thinking of things as a game, where every mechanic must make things better for the player.  The vampire mechanic does nothing but screw over your fortress, to the point that the people who write utilities find ways to make it easier to find them.  The ghosts rising does nothing useful for you (barring silly bugs that will be squished in the future).  They're just there to make the game more interesting and enhance the simulation.  Yes, it still needs to be playable, but none of the suggestions you rage against so vehemently would actually ruin the game.  Maybe they'd bug you, but nothing here would faze me.  You also constantly compare what people suggest to older, broken mechanics without actually taking into account the fact that Toady can write a better way of doing things in that regard.

You do not seem to see the difference.  Vampires can be killed, ghosts can be buried but if the game forces you to implement certain economic policies that actually do not make any sense in your own situation what then?

If the game has set your food prices too high for your favourite dwarf to eat then there is no solution in the game unless we can set the prices ourselves, which of course tends to be what lots of governments do or give away food for free which again is what lots of governments do.

If we can do those things then why would we ever play along with the system in the first place?  Everyone will simply set the food price to 0 or give away all the food their fortress produces for free as a permanent policy.  Is it really worth going to the bother to implement a vast and elaborate system of internal prices when the first page of the tutorial will simply tell each new player to set all prices to 0?

The player doesn't implement food prices any more than the player implements haunting ghosts or wound infections or vermin.  They're elements of the setting.  If you don't like a new feature (and it's not adjustable to your liking), just don't upgrade your free copy of the game.

Rember that at the moment internal food prices are simply not part of the setting unlike ghosts, wound infections and vermin.  They are not even in the development plan so your confidence about the idea seems misplaced. 

Transitioning from an outpost-like commonwealth to a city-like market without a discrete state change would be quite a feat, but it's essential for an on-site economy to function properly.  It's out of scope for this suggestion thread on temples, except to note that temples can smooth the transition by looking out for the undercapitalized.

At the moment there is no logical need for any transition and everything works quite fine; it would continue to work just fine forever, as everyone happily works for free and helps themselves to what they need.  I do not think the temples would do much smoothing of anything since they have to buy loads of other stuff that is more expensive probably than food, leaving themwith no money left over to tend to the poor. 

We have to introduce flaws into the existing system and have the flaws become more serious as our settlement grows.  The flaws are obviously related to first problem, everyone works for free.  There is nothing essentially unrealistic about people working for free, people do volunteer to do lots of things, but they need to be motivated.  I can think of a number of demotivaters that we can add to make our dwarves progressively less intrinsicly motivated as our fortress gets more advanced.

1. "Somebody else can do it": As the population grows the number of other dwarves that are equal or better to you at a given task increases and so does your motivation to work decrease.

2. "The fortress really does not need a thousandth plump helmet": As the number of a given item in stock compared to the population increases the task is seen as less and less vital, so dwarves motivation to do that task increases.

3. "I am so bored of hauling plump helmets": The more times a given dwarf does something in particular the less motivated they are to do it again.  This is reset only by doing other tasks, particularly ones of a different category to the task they are used to doing. 

The key thing is that the transition is both voluntery and gradual, the player decides to put certain items up for sale at a price and also decides what their dwarves will be paid for particular kinds of labours.  Dwarves are programmed to be savvy enough to realise that money is worthless if nothing is for sale, they are only motivated to work by being paid if there is something they want to have up for sale.

The clever thing is this; the dwarves get paid for performing a particular labour however they get paid regardless of whether they actually have any plans for the money and are actually being motivated by it.  Lowering their wages upsets them, meaning that the player starts to need to sell things in order to get the money and therefore can now end up going bust.  However the player can subsidise things or give things away for free, provided that other areas of trade, whether internal or external can make up the slack. 

We'll have a better idea how this is intended to work when the taverns appear in a release.

It reminds me of an entertaining discussion the writers had back in the days of Deep Space 9.  Some were insisting that the Star Trek universe was post-capitalist and there was no money.  "Well then," went the counterargument, "what are all of those people doing in the casino?" 

There is not really a counter-argument since capitalism is not needed for their to be things of value to be gambled away and there are other things of value than money.  For instance the players could really be gambling their own casino ration tokens instead of money.  The casino could actually issue it's own internal 'currency' that functions simply as a measure of score and the best gambler can then 'purchase' himself a place in the Hall of Fame. 

The tavern idea is directed at visiting outsiders, basically what we are doing is representing the Adventure Mode side of things in Fortress mode by having individual visiting outsiders come to your fortress and engage in commerce with your citizens and with eachother.

That is not in the paper I linked, though it does sum up the ultimate logical conclusion of "freshwater economics" which includes the "Chicago School."  This particular paper was written at approximately the same time that economics-of-information was emerging as a field, and since that time we've come to understand a lot more about when and if someone would truthfully reveal their private information.  Short answer: only when it's in their own interest to do so, and in those cases it's usually costly to signal the information in a credible way (for example, offering unconditional warranties to signal your product quality).

The basic premise of the Hayek paper I actually linked is what might be called an economic version of the Gaia Hypothesis, that changes in supply and demand can influence production decisions through prices (and stock-outs).  Temples may have some role to play in smoothing out economic shocks (by accepting donations during gluts and giving things away during shortages), but it's tangential to their primary purpose in a fort.

I read the paper but little of it is actually true since supply and demand is actually transmitted by means other than prices, namely it is transmitted along the supply chain and prices are largely irrelavent to the whole process (basically things would work just as well if we had the supply chain but nothing was ever paid for).  von-Hayak gets things backwards, people set prices according to what they think they know about the supply and demand. The actual process is not based upon be transmitting information about supply on demand but actually concealing the information that you have. 

The seller knows that what he selling is common as dirt but he depends upon the buyer not knowing that it is, he bluffs up it's value on the basis of the buyer not knowing that it is common as dirt.  If it becomes common knowledge that said thing is common as dirt then the buyer will instantly see through the deception, what matters is not the reality but the perception.  All this means that in every sense those who actually take prices to transmit information are the losers, those who know the actual reality behind the prices are the winners. 

The end result is the ordinery consumer typically loses hard due to not knowing very much and those who control as much of the supply chain as possible (ie supermarkets) tend to win, since they have the most complete set of information and rely least on the prices to determine the situation. 

That's because the supply and demand considerations aren't in the game yet.  And since trading skills will continue to affect prices, we won't have a happy utopian Coase Theorem world where everything is fair.  Mostly because bringing fairness into DF would be unseemly :)

Dwarf Fortress is already next to perfectly equal and fair, the only thing remaining is to remove those lovely rooms the top nobles demand and then fairness will be 100%.  8) ;) :D

Supply and demand considerations are already in the game in relation to the player.  You signal your demand for something by making a trade agreement with the mountainhome which ensures that given items are more likely to be present next time but also have a higher base price.  You transmit information along the supply chain and based upon that information prices are set.

The AIs own demands of you are randomised I think but work on the same principle, the high demand is transmitted to you and you can set a higher price knowing this. 

Not sure where you get the idea that no one would ever buy information, and even if you somehow thought that was implied, trading for information is specifically on the dev page.

I was just talking about how DF's planned statist economic development is not based upon von-Hayak.  That is shown by how the information the merchants are buying is supply and demand directly rather than just the prices is a strong point of divergance from his theories, since in his theories they make decisions based upon prices.

Again, there are plenty of details outside the player's control that affect gameplay (at least for people paying attention) like grudges and assaults.  Depending on the civ's relationship between church and state, the discovery of heretical religious materials might plop a crime into the justice system.  Having the unsolved crime linger could cause stress.

The player could certainly hunt down the heretic, but it'd be fun to have some other alternatives.  Coming back to what I mentioned earlier, does having the player order a shrine suddenly make that religion okay?  Probably not.  Would putting a heretic (known to the player but not the other citizens) in a position of authority soften views toward that religion "subliminally?"  That would be interesting, especially given the risk of the heretic being unmasked before he/she has won acceptance for the religion... putting the faith in an even worse position than it was before.

The incentive to the player is to play along with heresy hunting to the very minimal degree that he has too.  The incentive for the player is to hide all the heretics in the closet, not to expose them. 

The same thing would presumably be the case for all the AI settlements throughout world-gen.  Heresy hunting would starve to death because no government would find in their interests to encourage any religion to entertain such notions. 

The government/player builds all the shrines, those who get the shrines are those who has the properties desirable to the government/player.  It is not a case of building shrines making heretics acceptable but rather than nobody that believes in a concept like heresy-hunting would ever have been given any shrines in the first place.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2015, 01:28:01 pm »

I have found mention of Hayek in DF.  The circle is complete; happiness is attained.

On the religion front, I imagine DF religion running very similar to most polytheist religions, where there are personal and social spheres of religious obligation.  Personal focuses on individual devotion (ancestors, personal dealings with deities for personal matters, etc.) and does not impact the fortress as a whole.  Personal religion is family-centered or individual, reflective, and private. 

Social religion, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother show.  Social religion is designed to make sure that the fabric of society is maintained, and as such, is public, demonstrative, and focused on the weal of the community.  Generally featuring large temples and festivals, all members of the community are expected to partake in the social and religious rituals on a regular basis, with widely known, predefined roles such as festival sponsor, worshipper, priest, diviner, etc.

These two existed across the ancient world in most societies, and anything that forced a transition from one sphere to another (e.g., general conversion to Christianity forcing paganism underground, or the changing role of Ifa in colonial and post-colonial Yorubaland) creates massive amounts of social tension and dysfunction.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6