Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803036 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1245 on: May 23, 2015, 03:05:56 pm »

So which of the martial/weapon styles CAN'T you as a skill book?
According to the item browser, skill books exist for all 26 styles except Brawling, which you learn by getting to level 2 unarmed combat. In-game, I've only ever stumbled upon books for Karate, Aikido, Boxing, Judo, Tai Chi, and Fencing, though, so I'm not very sure if the others are available. Also note that Boxing and Niten Ichi-Ryu can't be learned at character generation.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:08:38 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 23, 2015, 03:28:28 pm »

wait, is this on the last experimental version? https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/12347

I don't know how this things work, so I'm downloading right now to see myself, seems awesome!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 23, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »

wait, is this on the last experimental version? https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/12347

I don't know how this things work, so I'm downloading right now to see myself, seems awesome!

Experimentals get built often enough maybe an hour after a commit. That looks like it's still open and not actually committed.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 23, 2015, 08:26:03 pm »

A bug in armor coverage calculations was causing the value to be inverted, the more coverage you had, the worse it was.  For a short time, chainmail bikinis were the best armor in the game.  Fix merged last night.

Heh. I knew something wasn't quite right, but I never suspected it was that bad lol.

According to the item browser, skill books exist for all 26 styles except Brawling, which you learn by getting to level 2 unarmed combat. In-game, I've only ever stumbled upon books for Karate, Aikido, Boxing, Judo, Tai Chi, and Fencing, though, so I'm not very sure if the others are available. Also note that Boxing and Niten Ichi-Ryu can't be learned at character generation.

Looking through the JSONs, I've found spawnable manuals for:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for me, aside from the ones you listed, I myself managed to find a manual for Niten Ichi-Ryu exactly once.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:29:17 pm by ShinQuickMan »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:03 am »

Death by codeine overdose for popping 5 pills over 4 hours? Seriously? ::)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 24, 2015, 12:48:10 am »

Death by codeine overdose for popping 5 pills over 4 hours? Seriously? ::)
Did you have the Lightweight trait? Even if you didn't, 5 doses of codeine in an entire day is still an overdose in real life and likely to cause symptoms, if not death.

Looking through the JSONs, I've found spawnable manuals for:

Spoiler: Book locations (click to show/hide)

Based on this, to answer the original question by Tnx, I'd say the ones you can't learn from skill books are the 10 Kung Fu styles, Zui Quan, and Muay Thai.

AFAIK you can also sometimes learn martial arts from NPCs who're in your debt, just like any other skills. IIRC I once learned Dragon Kung Fu that way.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 24, 2015, 12:53:26 am »

Thank you for all the answers guys!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 24, 2015, 02:32:14 am »

I recently started a new world with wander spawns turned on, just to shake up the usual playstyle.

I was having a good first day, having filled up an emergency shelter with the basics, when I managed to run over Brad Hertfelt with my recently acquired car. I looted his SMG, a Calico 590 or something to that effect, and went off to find a previously noted house full of gun modifications and miscellaneous ammunition.

Upon returning to my shelter night had fallen, so I prepared to read for a few hours before tucking in to my hastily gathered blanket-pile. Entering from the right-hand side of the shelter, I made my way across the dusty concrete to the left side, where my food and nest were located. That's when I saw the first yellow "?".

One more step, now there's 5 yellow "?"'s just outside the wall. Did I mention my character has great listening so those "?"'s aren't just an approximation?

One more step and the windows burst open, my flashlight flicking on to reveal . . . exactly what you expected (a commonly used vulgarity that stands for sexual intercourse-ton of undead).

There is a certain sort of pressure, or stress, that comes from having maybe ten in-game movement turns to grab what you can carry before hundreds of zombies flood your base. It feels like a real decision, not some shoehorned 'choose A or B' narrative dichotomy that AAA gaming falls back onto so frequently. All these separately programmed systems come together to produce a scene out of a movie and it feels entirely organic. This sort of thing is why I play Cata.

Anyways I managed to grab the important bits and throw them into the trunk of that car I had found. Jumping in the drivers seat, slamming the door and twisting the key I started it up and sped off, zombies chasing aft - wait what there's no battery charge left?! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's where I am now, and it isn't the first time I've found myself stranded and running, lugging along a heavily modified tactical weapon that I can't even use properly and a backpack full of not food (who needs food?) but books.

Eventually I'll make my way back to the car, there's too much there to simply forget.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:34:21 am by Salmeuk »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 24, 2015, 03:09:40 am »

I recently started a new world with wander spawns turned on, just to shake up the usual playstyle.

I was having a good first day, having filled up an emergency shelter with the basics, when I managed to run over Brad Hertfelt with my recently acquired car. I looted his SMG, a Calico 590 or something to that effect, and went off to find a previously noted house full of gun modifications and miscellaneous ammunition.

Upon returning to my shelter night had fallen, so I prepared to read for a few hours before tucking in to my hastily gathered blanket-pile. Entering from the right-hand side of the shelter, I made my way across the dusty concrete to the left side, where my food and nest were located. That's when I saw the first yellow "?".

One more step, now there's 5 yellow "?"'s just outside the wall. Did I mention my character has great listening so those "?"'s aren't just an approximation?

One more step and the windows burst open, my flashlight flicking on to reveal . . . exactly what you expected (a commonly used vulgarity that stands for sexual intercourse-ton of undead).

There is a certain sort of pressure, or stress, that comes from having maybe ten in-game movement turns to grab what you can carry before hundreds of zombies flood your base. It feels like a real decision, not some shoehorned 'choose A or B' narrative dichotomy that AAA gaming falls back onto so frequently. All these separately programmed systems come together to produce a scene out of a movie and it feels entirely organic. This sort of thing is why I play Cata.

Anyways I managed to grab the important bits and throw them into the trunk of that car I had found. Jumping in the drivers seat, slamming the door and twisting the key I started it up and sped off, zombies chasing aft - wait what there's no battery charge left?! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's where I am now, and it isn't the first time I've found myself stranded and running, lugging along a heavily modified tactical weapon that I can't even use properly and a backpack full of not food (who needs food?) but books.

Eventually I'll make my way back to the car, there's too much there to simply forget.
Yeah, wander spawns are ridiculously OP on the first day; it's best just to go nomad for a day or two in a random direction, looting as you go and dragging along a shopping trolley or something. The spawns seem to die down after that.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 24, 2015, 08:18:22 am »

quick and fast footed used to be 2 points, right? rest in peace OP traits

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 24, 2015, 08:20:09 am »

Quick for sure was 3, I *think* fleet-footed was the same.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 24, 2015, 12:16:52 pm »

Quick for sure was 3, I *think* fleet-footed was the same.
I'm fairly sure fleet-footed was 2 points for, like, forever.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 24, 2015, 12:24:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure they were both 3 points as far as I can remember. I've been relying on them since some point around 0.B.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 24, 2015, 01:43:35 pm »

a backpack full of not food (who needs food?) but books. Look, man, I was scared back there and couldn't think properly.
No, I think you were thinking incredibly properly.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 24, 2015, 01:51:20 pm »

Books are awesome. if they are on survival, they teach you how to make food, instead of just feeding you until it runs out.

Its the proverbial person teaching you to fish.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 451