Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800007 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3750 on: September 21, 2016, 12:33:44 am »

Had a random NPC run up and jump into my armored security van. I figured, "No problem, I'll just reverse and he'll explode into gore". Nope, turns out NPC's don't take damage from a car if they're IN the car, even standing in the doorway.

I didn't want to risk opening the interior door to go back and kill him in case he'd looted one of my 50cal's or M249's, so I just had to wait for him to get out and obliterate him. The resulting 'killed innocent' thought completely ruined any hope of finishing out the planting season productively because I couldn't build a plow in time. I had to survive the winter on pine nuts, coffee, and malted milk balls.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 21, 2016, 02:23:02 am »

I never had problem with neutral NPCs looting my stuff. Do you guys close your doors?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 21, 2016, 03:57:38 am »

I never had problem with neutral NPCs looting my stuff. Do you guys close your doors?

All the time, but vehicles crossing over diagonal tiles doesn't work out too well when you only have 1 tile wide walls. Might as well just take off the armor plating and boards and save on weight for engine power.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 21, 2016, 04:15:35 am »

I do close all doors. I don't think they come in through doors though. It looks like they just spawn inside the LMOE, right next to the bed. There's an NPC spawning every day now. Regretting not taking the cannibal and psycho traits.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: September 22, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »

Updated to new experimental after a week (when my character finally died) and realised that volume is now in decimals. Finally. Never made sense to me that my cell phone took up the same amount of space as a pill. :D

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 22, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »

my cell phone took up the same amount of space as a pill. :D

Jokes on you, that was a suppository.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:14 am »

I heard there were lots of problems with the original decimal volume implementation, like stuff running onto the next line and stuff because of too many digits.
It also sounds like they kinda screwed guns over for the time being while they work out a ranged rework.  This greatly concerns me because my character has a heavy rail gun that can shoot perfectly accurately to the edge of the reality bubble (60 tiles), and it seems with the new ranged code there's a hard coded max of 30 tiles.

If I can't shoot a steel rail through a zombie master's head from two blocks away, why am I even playing this game, you know?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: September 23, 2016, 08:48:19 am »

That's what 150mm howitzers are for. Just stick one on a wooden frame with a couple cart wheels, drag it into a hell fortress, and give them the old 'How do you do'. Guaranteed to surgically remove your eardrums every time, free of charge.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: September 24, 2016, 12:48:26 pm »

So did the difficulty get changed while I wasn't playing or something? Just had my spawn immediately overrun by a shocker brute... which I then beat to death with my makeshift crowbar. Granted, I died almost immediately after because I was basically a boneless bag of gore by then, but still.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: September 24, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »

Where did you spawn? Might've just been bad luck.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: September 24, 2016, 12:53:04 pm »

Normal shelter, no surrounded start.

And I wasn't complaining about the presence, but rather about the fact that I was able to beat it to death with minimal skill and a crappy weapon. Maybe my memory is off, but I recall getting pasted by normal brutes often enough that I eventually just outright avoided them until I had a modded-up Savage that I could evaporate them with.

3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: September 24, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »

Well....  I may have personally seen to the buffing of shocker brutes from  'walking tesla coil treent' to 'shocking brute'.

But, its all random, and the game will occasionally allow high level spawns to pop up in the first hours of the game to explicitly laugh at your reaction.  try again.

But yes, the game has been made harder by the compounding over gradual changes as well as other influences.  combat is harder, being grabbed is deadly, weapons are slightly nerfed, items are tweaked in frequency, and focus seems to be on making the earlygame last longer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:59:04 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: September 24, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »

alsoalsoalso, that makeshift crowbar is a crap weapon.  you need a nailboard, a bow and arrows, a sling, or even a 2x4.

Combat tehcniques, such as block or brutal strike, will serve you better than slightly more raw damage.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: September 24, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »

Again, it wasn't that it was too hard, it was that it was too easy. I expected to get splattered all over the walls when it caught me, but instead I beat its shit in with a bent pipe and only died because I was too hurt to outrun the normal zeds that were trailing behind it. And again, that was a normal start, just the survivor shit + makeshift crowbar + 1 point in melee. I shouldn't have been able to kill it at all, much less only die because there were other enemies right there.

3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: September 24, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »

Right, so youre saying that together the zombies beat you.  :o

Looking over the brutes:

Shocker damage in melee
    "melee_dice": 3,
    "melee_dice_sides": 4,
"melee_cut": 2,

regular brute in melee
    "melee_dice": 3,
    "melee_dice_sides": 8,
"melee_cut": 2,

Thats a significant difference.  Smashing, additionally, gets more dangerous the more bashing damage is.  Side*number iirc, determine distance and force, which determines if you go through something and how much damage said impact and landing do.

The shocker brute did its job.  But, just for clarification, I cant control how many people dont want to face an early game brute who does brute damage.  The shocker brute via my own mod do

"melee_skill":4,
    "melee_dice":3,
    "melee_dice_sides":8,
    "melee_cut":2,
    "melee_damage": [ {"damage_type": "electric", "amount": 6} ],

more than a standard brute.  But they also dont evolve.

so idk.  if you are okay seeing zoms as smart enough to work as a team its not really an issue.  shocker brutes have always been less smashy and more zappy.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 451