Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800016 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6060 on: February 24, 2019, 01:36:46 pm »

Huh. I missed a lot of shit it seems.

Bit belatedly, I should note that using the discord as a metric for what project management is up to is not going to be productive. Most of the develops on there are the lower-level ones who use it to discuss the stuff they're contributing, and none of the really old senior devs are on there except Kevin.

And he's, well...hostile to the community there to, to a degree. He does have two warnings there for a reason, and his response to that was removing the discord link from the game itself.

Note that this is coming from someone who ALSO has a warning there, due to both of us arguing with each other.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: February 24, 2019, 02:14:39 pm »

*shrug* a lot of people complain about this Granade guy, and I have to agree that C:DDA is getting shittier as time goes by, but on the other hand (despite this being an open source game) none of the critics have gone on to create their own forks. AFAIK you wouldnt need to roll back to 2013; you could simply download the code as is and go whichever way you want. So I can see his point: as of now despite the polemics there is apparently nobody else with the support or the will to take the helm (which I find curious, as many of the more outspoken critics were involved in development earlier on), so given that it's his work and effort, he calls the shots. I can understand that and empathize to an extent, even if I don't agree with the way he's taking the project.

As far as I'm concerned it's a damn shame that I don't remember at which point I started disliking his addons  :P  I'm guessing around mid 2017 (I could possibly match it with forum data I guess). The last time I played I was doing so with a homebrew mod that allowed me an easier start so that I could have fun exploring the world. Presumably I could do that in the current version, even though it probably wouldn't help with the more tedious stuff in the later builds. On the other hand, IIRC there were several mods that made many of those tedious features strictly opt-in...

Coolthulu made a fork.
I don't think it's active anymore, unfortunately. (unless something changed recently?)
AFAIK it is still available, though and IIRC it was highly playable, so I might roll back to that though.

EDIT: indeed, it's available, but not active. Since mid '17. So my guesstimate was correct
https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:18:43 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: February 25, 2019, 09:17:49 pm »

looks like cdda reached its first release candidate for 0.D as spotted on reddit :
https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/auhvg0/build_8544_is_the_first_0d_release_candidate/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: February 26, 2019, 08:39:52 pm »

*shrug* a lot of people complain about this Granade guy, and I have to agree that C:DDA is getting shittier as time goes by, but on the other hand (despite this being an open source game) none of the critics have gone on to create their own forks. AFAIK you wouldnt need to roll back to 2013; you could simply download the code as is and go whichever way you want. So I can see his point: as of now despite the polemics there is apparently nobody else with the support or the will to take the helm (which I find curious, as many of the more outspoken critics were involved in development earlier on), so given that it's his work and effort, he calls the shots. I can understand that and empathize to an extent, even if I don't agree with the way he's taking the project.

As far as I'm concerned it's a damn shame that I don't remember at which point I started disliking his addons  :P  I'm guessing around mid 2017 (I could possibly match it with forum data I guess). The last time I played I was doing so with a homebrew mod that allowed me an easier start so that I could have fun exploring the world. Presumably I could do that in the current version, even though it probably wouldn't help with the more tedious stuff in the later builds. On the other hand, IIRC there were several mods that made many of those tedious features strictly opt-in...

Coolthulu made a fork.
I don't think it's active anymore, unfortunately. (unless something changed recently?)
AFAIK it is still available, though and IIRC it was highly playable, so I might roll back to that though.

EDIT: indeed, it's available, but not active. Since mid '17. So my guesstimate was correct
https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases

This is gonna sound really weird given how much I bitch about the godawful shit Kevin & co. are doing with DDA, but I don't really enjoy BN much either. I have vastly more respect for Coolthulhu than I do for basically anyone involved in DDA dev these days, but it went too far in the other direction for my taste. I really like Cata sat in that middle ground where you start out barely scraping by after everything goes to shit (and, indeed, can set things up so that you can play as a wild-man/LMOE/scavver more or less indefinitely if you so choose), with the ability to scale your character up and start getting into all the weird sci-fi and high-post apoc shenanigans while still retaining the relatively mundane backdrop.

BN is basically just Cata with a bunch of extra Fallout-flavored shit added in, IIRC. Swung too hard in the direction of gameplay > realism with too-easy healing, cheap nuclear shit and energy weapons, &c., where current DDA is just a morass of idiotic unrealistic "becuz muh realsum" tedium. An action game rather than a roguelike (where current DDA is a clicking/travel/wait screen simulator rather than a game at all).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: February 26, 2019, 10:07:54 pm »

Well if you want something between dark days and bright nights I guess we'd better come up with dark nights and bright days?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: February 26, 2019, 10:58:49 pm »

Well if you want something between dark days and bright nights I guess we'd better come up with dark nights and bright days?
Gloomy Twilight?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: February 27, 2019, 01:37:04 pm »

the main screen report 0.c

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: February 27, 2019, 10:03:53 pm »

the main screen report 0.c

well it seems to have found its balancing point for 0.d and then whatever comes moving forward

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: February 28, 2019, 06:48:55 am »

Notice for anyone that updates their game, mansions will no longer spawn martial arts manuals as of THIS PR.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: February 28, 2019, 08:39:10 am »

True. But in its stead, dojos have a much higher frequency of spawning martial arts books, and can actually spawn a few of the rarer ones now missing in the mansion. Furthermore, crafting textbooks are similarly more common in libraries/bookstores than they were before.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6070 on: February 28, 2019, 10:06:27 am »

That's nice. I was annoyed when I found a library with absolutely no useful crafting books once. Just a lot of novels and magazines I didn't need

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: February 28, 2019, 11:02:45 pm »

True. But in its stead, dojos have a much higher frequency of spawning martial arts books, and can actually spawn a few of the rarer ones now missing in the mansion. Furthermore, crafting textbooks are similarly more common in libraries/bookstores than they were before.
In fact there were many martial arts books that just plain never spawned in game, now they pretty much all have a chance to spawn in dojos, and dojos have a bit better than a 50/50 chance to spawn books (up from around 1/6 as I recall, and then only the most useless books like aikido). This was definitely an overall buff, it just means you have to actually go to more than a single location to find what you want and a few previously pointless locations are now worth visiting.

Mansions can still spawn martial arts books, it's just rare. Same with the weird and wacky textbooks. The ones that used to appear in mansions now appear in libraries roughly as commonly as they used to appear in mansions. I understand that it isn't entirely out of place that mansions might have that kind of stuff, but libraries make far more sense for it - and libraries now are a dang treasure trove. No more going to the library and coming away with a single young adult novel. I've done the same treatment to lumberyards (it used to be possible to go there and find a single two by four in the whole joint).

I actually haven't done bookstores yet. I will get there, probably when I add more types of fiction novels. Right now I'm making abandoned barns interesting.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: March 01, 2019, 03:26:23 pm »

You're doing God's work, Erk.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: March 02, 2019, 03:25:29 am »

Apparently, He loves you and wants you to know Kung Fu.

Took a brief digression today to sketch up a tileset.

- despite possible appearances, I'm designing this to be a very easy to add to community contribution set (there's no way I have time to make an entire tileset on my own and also write all the dialogue I want to do and make maps). Individual colour blocks are kept to 3-5 shades in general and the look is surprisingly quick and easy to do. With some help from Fuji on discord we should have a demo version ready soon, and then if there are any pixeleers around here I'd love to help add your work to it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:27:51 am by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: March 02, 2019, 07:38:39 am »

I really like the look of that, having that as a option for a tileset would actually make me want to use one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 451