Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Subnautica..  (Read 14867 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Subnautica..
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 10:12:25 am »

Is there any point in killing them? I was under the impression that wildlife just respawns when killed. One quick zap sends them all running anyway

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:51 am »

Food fish such as peepers, reginalds and hoverfish will eventually respawn automatically, but their local populations can be reduced to scarcity before they pop back in. Larger animals such as leviathans and anything hatched from an egg (bonesharks, jellyrays, stalkers, gasopods, rabbit rays etc., but not spadefish, which are still classed as food animals) will stay dead and do not respawn naturally.

If the game's memory cache is cleared (which also resets all naturally-found plants and minerals, as well as any loose items in the game world), then they will be repopulated as per the start of the game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 10:26:20 am »

Ahh, interesting. I had tested that by manually killing every stalker around my base (using the knife + seaglide) but seemed like there was no appreciable drop in stalker encounter frequency. They still steal my camera drones sometimes... but it's kinda cute.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 10:33:55 am »

There's a little uncertainty whether or not eggs laid in the wild will ever actually hatch on their own and become a new whatever, but the animals themselves (almost) definitely don't respawn. Leviathans, at least, are absolutely incapable of repopulating outside of a cache clear; as they cannot lay eggs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 10:42:03 am »

That makes me wonder... if I were designing the ecosystem manager I'd set up some kind of soft limit on creatures per area so that eggs laid in the wild would only be likely to hatch if the local population dropped below that point, with different tolerances per creature type or per creature. I'll try another experiment after scouring the area of eggs first.

Also wondering... creatures you hatch yourself via alien containment don't seem hostile after release. I wonder if you could repopulate an area with non-hostile creatures. Does that non-hostile flag persist?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 10:48:12 am »

Interesting... I must say that it doesn't seem to line up with my experiences: I spent hours combing around the barren geyser area southwest of the enforcement platform looking to (re-)find the entrance to the underwater river in my prawn suit. (Always keep an extra beacon on you, kids - just because you think you know where something is, doesn't mean you'll find it again!)

I must have left dozens of twitching boneshark corpses in my wake, and the damn things never seemed diminished or any less interested in gnawing on my (apparently delicious) titanium shell.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 10:54:01 am »

It should, yes. I mean, containment-raised animals still have some weirdness in their behavior, such as retaining the bite reflex if you swim too close to their mouths, and freely attacking any of your vehicles if they're inclined to do that in the wild (regardless of whether or not you're inside it at the time). Containment-raised crabsquids will also still go ballistic on any light sources they find, so try not to release too many near your base or they'll keep cutting the power with their EMP.

I think it's actually unknown whether or not wild animals and their eggs have any connection with one another at all, or if the eggs just spawn naturally by themselves. There are a lot of incredibly bizarre gameplay systems in place, and the developers themselves aren't fully aware of how they work. Science is recommended.

Oh, also, the wiki appears to be out of date on a number of topics, and will likely remain so for a good while due to the editing restrictions in place. Nuclear power generators, which were all but worthless in the early access versions, are now considerably more powerful, with a single rod being worth a whopping 20,000 energy units before it's used up.

Interesting... I must say that it doesn't seem to line up with my experiences: I spent hours combing around the barren geyser area southwest of the enforcement platform looking to (re-)find the entrance to the underwater river in my prawn suit. (Always keep an extra beacon on you, kids - just because you think you know where something is, doesn't mean you'll find it again!)

I must have left dozens of twitching boneshark corpses in my wake, and the damn things never seemed diminished or any less interested in gnawing on my (apparently delicious) titanium shell.

It's worth mentioning that there are a LOT of bonesharks ingame, and the only real thing keeping them from bunching up into a swarm is the fact that they'll sometimes bite and scare away each other.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 12:24:02 pm »

Also wondering... creatures you hatch yourself via alien containment don't seem hostile after release. I wonder if you could repopulate an area with non-hostile creatures. Does that non-hostile flag persist?

I had a tame stalker eventually turn on me. It took a while, but it did. It was definitely the same one, too, since I turned it loose by the enforcement platform and the derpy thing spent all its time trying to evolve legs and crawl onto the beach when it wasn't stealing camera drones.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 12:38:28 pm »

Does anyone know if its possible to disable the gun BEFORE the Sunbeam arrives? And thus trigger an alternate ending? Id imagine it would be hard, and you'd have to rush for materials, but I doubt noone's ever done it.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »

Does anyone know if its possible to disable the gun BEFORE the Sunbeam arrives? And thus trigger an alternate ending? Id imagine it would be hard, and you'd have to rush for materials, but I doubt noone's ever done it.
It is possible, it has been done. You do get an alternate story. They accounted for it. :)

If you want the spoiler, open the spoiler tag:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 12:44:50 pm »

In earlier versions, the Sunbeam event would still play out in exactly the same way (despite this making absolutely no sense), and nothing would change. Later they added a new sound file where they'd report that the Aurora had left a debris field in orbit that rendered it impossible to land, so they just don't show up. For whatever reason this got removed post-release, so I think that the event just sort of fizzles. Not sure.

Also, it doesn't actually require any rushing. Like everything else in the game, the Sunbeam showing up isn't actually time-related. If you just never listen to their broadcast informing you of the rendezvous point, then they don't show up. You can put off listening to the signal until after you've "finished" the game, thus activating the event after the gun's been disabled.

This is all rather spoilery though, not sure how much spoiler protection folks in this thread want.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:46 pm »

It is possible, it has been done. You do get an alternate story. They accounted for it. :)

*Raspberry noise*

Thats dumb.

Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 12:58:15 pm »

Yeah I know

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6