Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where shall Cog do next

Wait a year for winter and attempt an ocean crossing to Elf island
Head to the Southwestern Savannah / Unknown Civilizations beyond

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Cog the blind Drunk  (Read 88168 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Cog the blind Drunk
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2017, 01:26:40 pm »

18th Malachite, 125
Today was boring and uneventful. Nothing happened at all. It's strangely comforting. I slept in the mountains.
I long for a tavern where Cog can rest for a moment and allow nothing to happen. There is something strangely comforting about the nothingness, the gaps between the intensity

Oh god, you are so gonna get eaten by a giant cave spider.
I hope not. I'm not even sure I'm fast enough to run away from one... Do giant cave spiders make audible sounds when they climb? I fear I will not be able to hear such an ambush predator if it is not approaching me, but descending upon me.

I mean, you're gonna spend weeks getting out of webs you randomly walk into before finding one, but oh yes, it'll happen.
I did not factor in webs before making this decision. I fear I have now made a poor life choice

Remember though: set the cave moss under the SPIDER on fire before trying to burn the webs under yourself away.
That's true, at least I still have fire

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
'Once upon a time there was a Dwarf called Medtob Masteredceiling. He was King of the Infinite Cheerful Crafts. He was killed by the forgotten beast Asnan Skullmines. The end.' Cog told his tales with expert proficiency, excising all the pomp and nonsense to get to the true story beneath. Lesana was visibly sickened, cursing that her superior memory would likely burden her with this butchery of lore forever. She now welcomed the inevitability of death.
'What did you think?' Cog asked.
'The story was... Interesting.' Lesana replied.
Thus Cog retold the story again, much to the protestation of Lesana. Eventually the tale-telling stopped and Cog began sorting out his inventory for the trek south or the descent into the caves. Anything that couldn't be used or wasn't light and valuable was left at the mouth of the cave, Cog then approached Lesana to announce the journey plan.
'Are you going to tell more stories?' Lesana asked, concern knitted in her face.
'No, we are just going to scout the cave and then camp here for the night. On the morrow - we descend!' Cog replied. Together they mapped out the cave's interior, the whole complex seemingly empty and secure.

'So how's the family?' Cog asked.
'My eldest son is married to some unknown creature. I do not wish to talk about it.' Lesana replied.
'It happens, you hear it all the time with impressionable 80 year old Elves running off with night creatures-'
'-Not talking about it. It is terrifying.'

'Well then, are you enjoying this adventure?'
'This is the life for me.'
'It sure is dark down here,' Cog said.
'Aren't you blind?' Lesana asked, concerned.
'Seek the great beast of comedy and kill it Lesana. Lesana?' Cog heard Lesana draw her wooden sword and shield as she leapt ahead, Cog continued sneaking around the cave wall trying to figure out what had just occurred, and whether he should be fleeing now.

The Round-chin Ettin and Lesana both exclaimed in the loudest roars 'I have defeated many fearsome opponents!' Their warcries echoing throughout the cave. Cog thought Lesana was insane and as good as dead, picking a fight with a two-headed warrior that was twelve times her size. He snuck past the melee pausing only to pick up some sort of flower along the way, when he was stopped dead in his track by an unusual sound - the ettin screaming for help. Somehow, Lesana was winning.

Cog dropped his supplies and drew his warhammer, charging into the fray. Try as he might however, the beast was too tough! Cog's warhammer failed to do more than bruise muscle, he could not strangle the two-headed beast to death nor did it seem to bleed to death or have a hide weak enough to tear. Lesana's wooden sword lacerated the ettin grievously but could not land a killing blow. The battle would be lost when the Ettin caught Lesana by the leg and broke her right knee; unable to maneuvre around the superior bulk of the ettin, she was thrown into a wall and killed. The Ettin turned its attention to Cog who had no means of seriously wounding it, whilst a single strike from the Ettin would slay Cog. Picking up Lesana's shield Cog ran to a lower level where he hid his supplies and began sneaking away. The Ettin blocked the only exit and was descending down the ramp for him, Cog had no choice but to go lower.

He reached moss and knew at once what this all meant. The cool breeze of a climate, the squawks and scurrying of things larger than him, the rich smell of mulch, decay and rebirth - this was the caverns.

The only way out was to find another cave.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »

I'd say things look dark for Cog, but, well...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:54 pm »

Poor Lesana.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »

On the 10th of Slate Cog made it... Somewhere northwards, direction, elevation and orientation is nearly impossible to keep track of in the caverns, but Cog always went in some vaguely northwards direction. Constantly sneaking and skulking through the rat tunnels, it should come as no surprise that Cog would be able to find a rat. A fine lunch!

Sleeping amidst the fungus, getting caught in webs, avoiding giant toads and crocodiles - the 11th of Slate was to be mostly unremarkable, though it did mark the day when Cog made it farthest from the cave. Things took a considerable turn for the worse when Cog went to fetch water from a lake.
A cave crocodile emerged from ambush, its jaws around Cog's head. It seemed to be trying to figure out whether Cog was food or not - this saved Cog's life. Cog managed to free himself and sprint to safety, stuck on a muddy platform somewhere away from the crocodile. He rested to recoup from his wounds as unconsciousness overwhelmed him.

He slowly roused from his stupor hearing the gobbling of Turkeys and the warmth of sunbeams intermingled with a cool eastern breeze. He was lying in some grass.
Was he dead? Was this the afterlife?

He felt his third finger, the broken one, it still hurt like hell. He probably wasn't dead.
Maybe this was all a dream and it never happened? But Cog checked, he had Lesana's shield and some rat meat rations.

Night was falling. Cog would have to debate whether the gods were playing tricks on him or not later, the only shelter available... Was the cave.

[OOC: I think Cavern traveling may be a bit buggy]

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2017, 04:20:56 pm »

Hm, well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2017, 04:29:06 pm »

COG LIVES.

But did he make it to the islands?!?! This is probably going to be a Magellan-esque journey to find distant lands and he will always end up somewhere else.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »

COG LIVES.
But did he make it to the islands?!?! This is probably going to be a Magellan-esque journey to find distant lands and he will always end up somewhere else.
In a whole day I made it a total of one tile (on the Questmap scale) through the caverns, so nowhere even close. Basically stopped outside the cave. I reckon I could still make it to the island if Cog trains in swimming to be the very best, or waits until Winter and attempts an ocean crossing if it freezes over. Alternatively, travel south into the savanas and leave the island Elves for another day

AlexKing17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:43 am »

PTW

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »

Perhaps we should check with the inhabitants of the savannahs and see if they have any insight in cavern-crossing.

Can't go back in there without companions, anyway.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2017, 07:15:28 am »

Savannah sounds like a better bet for now. Crossing the Ocean is a little to big a task for Cog at the moment I feel.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2017, 12:13:27 pm »

I say Cog spends some time waiting for the sea to freeze over. He can train some storytelling skills in that time.

Can Cog read or write?

EhSolly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2017, 01:16:27 pm »

I say Cog spends some time waiting for the sea to freeze over. He can train some storytelling skills in that time.

Can Cog read or write?

Asking if a blind man can read huh? How do you think HE feels about that? Agh the ignorance!

/s
New account; changed username.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »

Can Cog read or write?

How long does he have until winter? Maybe he could discuss the matter with savannah folk in the meantime.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2017, 11:00:27 am »

Can Cog read or write?

Considering the whole point is he's blind, I don't think he'll write any books any time soon. But, he could be like Homer, and blindly walk around telling tales of heroic feats to villages, in exchange for sleep and drink. His stories will be transcribed by others, and will inspire generations of drunks to join in adventuring.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Lezeryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2017, 04:14:21 pm »

How can I choose someone specific, like you did with Cog, to play adventure mode?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16