Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Ulitmate Melee Dwarf Guide - Understand Sparring, Demonstration and More!  (Read 39444 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM

Oh Armok. Did I not mention that you HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO equip them with full armour? Mine do this only with a breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, gauntlets, high boots, and helm. I'm also working on getting the clothing industry running so they can have silk robes too. Thus equipped, the 1z drop is ineffective but the 2z works great with next to no injuries. I'm in the process of patching mine up to raise the level back up to 2 from the 3z I turned it into when I first started training swimming. Adequate swimmers after two years, so it's slow, but still it means they'll git gud one day. I have had two random bleedouts so far, and that's only after lowring it to 3z, so I can fairly confidently say that 2z is safe. BUT YOU MUST EQUIP THEM WITH METAL ARMOUR.

Anyway, dwarves are a very expendable resource. If your training isn't killing off a few in the process well then it's just not goddamned Spartan enough.

I think that leather armour doesn't cover as much as people think. I swapped to copper mail shirt and now they aren't having injuries anymore.

For sparring/falling armour training I'm finding that mail shirt/gauntlets/helm/high boots are enough, however the falling down to gain armour/swimming is not really giving the gains i'd have hoped for. Less than 1 level of swimming/armour user in a whole year :(. I think it's also slowing down my actual training substantially (We are wrestling training so lots of dwarfs are being thrown down the holes).

I don't want to spoil the fun just yet but I'm thinking I might make a giant cascading waterslide which flushes dwarfs down double z level drops multiple times over and over as a separate means of training swimming/armour user... not had time to play and figure it out yet though.

jvj_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Oh Armok. Did I not mention that you HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO equip them with full armour? Mine do this only with a breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, gauntlets, high boots, and helm. I'm also working on getting the clothing industry running so they can have silk robes too. Thus equipped, the 1z drop is ineffective but the 2z works great with next to no injuries. I'm in the process of patching mine up to raise the level back up to 2 from the 3z I turned it into when I first started training swimming. Adequate swimmers after two years, so it's slow, but still it means they'll git gud one day. I have had two random bleedouts so far, and that's only after lowring it to 3z, so I can fairly confidently say that 2z is safe. BUT YOU MUST EQUIP THEM WITH METAL ARMOUR.

Anyway, dwarves are a very expendable resource. If your training isn't killing off a few in the process well then it's just not goddamned Spartan enough.

Just to check, when you say 2z seems to be the perfect drop, you mean that they're falling from the z-level they train on, through one level that is made up of only channels, and on to the bottom level where they land and return to their training? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been having problems getting them to take many hits when dropping them that distance. I'd reckon only one or two percent of the drops cause an actual hit, and the rest of them don't generate combat reports at all. And similar to your experience, increasing it to three levels of drop (which is to say, two levels that are channeled out, plus a top and a bottom layer) caused enough crushed ears that my prospective teachers had bled out/died to infections within a few seasons.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to check, when you say 2z seems to be the perfect drop, you mean that they're falling from the z-level they train on, through one level that is made up of only channels, and on to the bottom level where they land and return to their training? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been having problems getting them to take many hits when dropping them that distance. I'd reckon only one or two percent of the drops cause an actual hit, and the rest of them don't generate combat reports at all. And similar to your experience, increasing it to three levels of drop (which is to say, two levels that are channeled out, plus a top and a bottom layer) caused enough crushed ears that my prospective teachers had bled out/died to infections within a few seasons.

Yes, by 2z I mean that they fall from the level they spar on, through one level of open space, and land on a level of ramps. Crushed extremities are minor enough injuries that they may not generate a hospital job, which is probably a bug, given that our dwarves are bleeding out from them. Especially since dwarves with amputated legs don't often bleed out for me.

I quite like the waterfall flushing idea but the reason I prefer my pillar barracks is that it's incredibly simple and easy to set up -- it only needs a bit of mining; no mechanisms or anything, and a few buckets -- and doesn't drain FPS at all, unlike many other systems. Sure, it trains swimming and armour user very slowly, but it's better than them not getting trained at all. They reach novice after between a season and a year, then hit adequate a year or two after that -- and thereafter they won't drown unless stunned or over-exerted. That, to me, makes this system worth it. Also remember that when dodging there's a 50/50 chance of them falling with this barracks; they may dodge onto a pillar. So on average, less than every second attack against them causes them to fall, so this doesn't really interrupt sparring much at all. If you want armour user to go up past expert at all on your dwarves, this (or something like this) is necessary.

I have just bought an entire forests' worth of dead animal from the dwarven caravan (a couple hundred bins) so I'll report back later on the injuries sustained with leather robes covering the remaining skin. It should convert those otherwise-useless hits to the fingers into meaningful armour user gain.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM

I've now had three dwarfs die of dehydration while standing in the water (all competent swimmers). Still haven't managed to figure out why.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've now had three dwarfs die of dehydration while standing in the water (all competent swimmers). Still haven't managed to figure out why.

Never had that. Perhaps your barracks is too wide and they can't find a path? I seem to recall that there's a limit to how far they will path through 6/7 water. Refer to my earlier post with the screenshot of my barracks design for a size that has never caused that problem. I'll post the updated version once I've raised it up a z to prevent the lethal bleedouts.

jvj_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Ooh, I had removed the ramps on my bottom level. Perhaps that has something to do with my lack of success. Thanks so much for all of this.

Friti

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Roo. Hop to it.
    • View Profile

Point of note:  Bucklers instead of shields when training.  Seems to level up shields slower in favor of Armor/Weapon(block/parry)/Dodge.  Unsubstantiated by Science!(TM) but I've favored it often enough for my training squads that I'm pretty sure I see a difference.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Point of note:  Bucklers instead of shields when training.  Seems to level up shields slower in favor of Armor/Weapon(block/parry)/Dodge.  Unsubstantiated by Science!(TM) but I've favored it often enough for my training squads that I'm pretty sure I see a difference.

Only potential issue with this would be them getting attached to bucklers, which are nowhere near as good as shields in normal combat. But definitely worth looking into.

Friti

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Roo. Hop to it.
    • View Profile

I tend to avoid most attachment issues by having a couple squads rotate on/off duty when training up and taking off their gear when not on active-duty.  Tends to shuffle the gear around every couple months between dwarves so attachment usually isn't an issue.

Reason I bring up bucklers is I think (unconfirmed) the order of prescedence for attacks on a dwarf is:

Shield Block  >  Weapon Parry  >  Dodge  >  Armor Check  >  Fleshy/Squishy Dwarf 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:17:28 pm by Friti »

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried to give each of my equads 2 months of training and the other 10 months off, using your system. However, everyone is training all year 'round. any idea why?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:31:44 pm by bennerman »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

I tend to avoid most attachment issues by having a couple squads rotate on/off duty when training up and taking off their gear when not on active-duty.  Tends to shuffle the gear around every couple months between dwarves so attachment usually isn't an issue.

Reason I bring up bucklers is I think (unconfirmed) the order of prescedence for attacks on a dwarf is:

Shield Block  >  Weapon Parry  >  Dodge  >  Armor Check  >  Fleshy/Squishy Dwarf 
From what I've seen, missing from dodge skill comes before any of that.

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you!  You have taken what is one of the most complex things to do in a game filled with complex tasks and broken it down to something players as incompetant at this game as I am can use.  Now to apply this and other half understood knowledge for some XX Fun XX by embarking next to 3 necromancer towers in an aquifer area.  Strike the earth!
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

Yarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW, Excellent guide!

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried to give each of my squads 2 months of training and the other 10 months off, using your system. However, everyone is training all year 'round. any idea why?

Anyone?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As their discipline increases, off-duty soldiers increasingly favor individual training over other jobs, which could be the cause of what you're seeing. If they're not doing individual training, then something else is up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6