Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5926344 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20205 on: March 01, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »

A necromancer just resurrected the dead frost giant siege in the south west corner of my map and they're ambling in the general direction of my gate.  Solution?   They're hard enough to kill normally.  Translation: [BODY_SIZE:25:0:15000000] giant zombies.  And TRAPAVOID because the logic of a dwarf-sized sawblade being able to hurt something that big was not sound.  Oh, and the siege had fifty of them.  I killed them the first time with a drowning trap but that won't work on zombies.

Fun, isn't it? 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20206 on: March 01, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »

I've begun tossing goblin prisoners down to a mintaur child who tried to attack my fort.

These prsioners are the survivors of the above attack which ended in disaster for them.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20207 on: March 01, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »

I've lost exactly two items to Kobolds, both were large gems encrusted with millions of dwarfbucks in other gems that weren't important enough to bring indoors.

And THAT is why you don't put your jewelers' workshops outdoors. Or any workshops, for that matter.

I've yet to see kobolds make it into my inner fort, they always get spotted by the first passing hauler/hunter/marksdwarf. So I'd say they're only a potential threat to a very new fortress, or one that's almost completely fallen.

Goblin snatchers are even more pathetic since they're not [TRAP_AVOID], I suppose if you happened to have kids far outside then they might grab one, but really, even if you don't use cage traps they're far too easy to stop.

As an aside, what shall I do with a Goblin Master Thief? I don't think i'm likely to get many more, so I'd like to put him somewhere... special. Even if it's just a very deep dungeon.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

ZombieMedic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20208 on: March 01, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

I was just "attacked" by something known as a "Wereass Child". Apparently one of my dwarven children turns into a giant human-like butt beast when the moon is full. Luckily they transformed back before the militia could even get to it, but it's still weird.
Link to description:
http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/ZombieMedic17/?action=view&current=Wereasschild.png

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20209 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:09 pm »

And THAT is why you don't put your jewelers' workshops outdoors. Or any workshops, for that matter.

I've yet to see kobolds make it into my inner fort, they always get spotted by the first passing hauler/hunter/marksdwarf. So I'd say they're only a potential threat to a very new fortress, or one that's almost completely fallen.

Goblin snatchers are even more pathetic since they're not [TRAP_AVOID], I suppose if you happened to have kids far outside then they might grab one, but really, even if you don't use cage traps they're far too easy to stop.

As an aside, what shall I do with a Goblin Master Thief? I don't think i'm likely to get many more, so I'd like to put him somewhere... special. Even if it's just a very deep dungeon.
Above Ground fort without a perimeter wall, should have dumped them in storage but it was no real loss. I actually remove all the trap avoid tags, kidnapping Kobolds is fun.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20210 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »

Why can't children/unskilled dwarves default to weapon or armorsmith moods? Why?!

Bloody rock mugs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20211 on: March 01, 2012, 06:47:49 pm »

I find myself rooting for the goblins as they chase elf merchants around my map.
They had better kill that last horse cause it has all the goodies I want on it.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20212 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »

Oh god, the Undead came, so many. Elven, human and dwarven undead, dozens of them. So unprepared, the fortress over the lake was only just taking off, everything was outside. So many dead.

At one point a Yak exploded.

Then when all seemed lost the siege ended. ( i dont know what happened, and theres a LOT of report pages to go through)

3 survivors, somehow, manged to pull through. Then suddenly 26 migrants arrive, amidst a field of bodyparts and debris. Most of them are peasants.

Where there was 5, now there is over 130 listed as dead, 130 odd listed as undead. Without their master i guess the undead are re-dead.

[EDIT] Nope they're still un-dead, poor migrants, well form a squad and at least make a go of it...

[[EDIT]] Nope. Fortress on the lake is now a ruin, fit only for monsters and future generations to ponder over.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:50:32 am by hjd_uk »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20213 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20214 on: March 01, 2012, 08:10:19 pm »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20215 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:44 pm »

I was about to start training a lovely new recruit with great stats, then a goblin thief appeared and cut off her foot. What the heck. Useless dorf.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20216 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »

had a necromancer have the poor luck of appearing right next to a goblin ambush. the goblins took down his undead, and my military took down the goblins and the necromancer. now i have the necromancers GHOST haunting my fortress. you want a grave here seriously? seriously? anyone have a good idea on how to give this guy a really humiliating grave? was thinking of burning his body and making him a slab out of some cheap ore by a novice mason and have it reside underwater or something...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20217 on: March 01, 2012, 10:16:39 pm »

had a necromancer have the poor luck of appearing right next to a goblin ambush. the goblins took down his undead, and my military took down the goblins and the necromancer. now i have the necromancers GHOST haunting my fortress. you want a grave here seriously? seriously? anyone have a good idea on how to give this guy a really humiliating grave? was thinking of burning his body and making him a slab out of some cheap ore by a novice mason and have it reside underwater or something...

Wooden unmarked coffin, aboveground, walled in with no entrance or exit
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20218 on: March 01, 2012, 10:22:16 pm »

Make sure it's low quality as well.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20219 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »

A combination of a burst pump stack causing major flooding in the living quarters and an accidental loyalty cascade by a misjudged kill order (i selected A which was the outpost liaison, meaning to select B, a wild kangaroo who had been harassing masons) is likely to bring down Fathdakost.
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 3838