Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1824 1825 [1826] 1827 1828 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5931053 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27375 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:51 am »

Just embarked with enough ingredients to forge 40 bars of steel and founded Lushfurnace! Let's strike this earth.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27376 on: January 18, 2013, 08:31:48 am »

My drown machine worked too good for its own good. It was not the flooding the world that worried me, but with some bad timing winter came.
Now I have a huge glacier covering (and probably hiding) my fort's entrance, so I will have to wait a full season for it to thaw, and two more for it to drain.
oh yeah, and goblins killed passing merchants and then ran off to their homes. Making all the non-dead animals outside berserk while the surviving traders went sad.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27377 on: January 18, 2013, 11:24:31 am »

The underground complex has been designated, and the last 3 migrant waves (each one only a married pair of dwarves and a kid or 3) have been drafted to be miners. Trained them up on digging the massive tree farm right above the aquifer layer, moving the to the marble harvesting site when they got skilled enough.

After they finish digging the marble layer out, I will have them cut into the caverns and the masons on standby will seal up a large enough area to ensure full access to the complex. I plan on a double-helix rampway leading from the surface down, and will need to do a little construction to fix the empty bits left by the caverns.

The underground complex consists of concentric rings, each slightly larger than the last, spanning 5z total. The uppermost part is a round meeting area, where the ramps from the surface will connect. The next level down will be finished goods storage, while the next 2 will be dedicated to food production, storage, and any other related industry. The 4th level will be dedicated to housing, with some of the apartments looking down into the main commons. The main commons will be the most massive, covering most of the 3x3 embark. 2 walkways will be separated by a magma channel through the middle, and will be filled by pumps in each corner. The center of this area will dip down some more, leading to the forges and smelters, with magma underneath that to power those industries.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not especially complicated, or anything. But its the first massive, overly complex thing I've done yet, and been working on the designations since I woke up at 7am (now around noon, my time). I'm debating on main the main commons multiple zlevels, using ramps to carve upwards. Should be able to get everything smoothed and engraved as long as I leave the ramps in place.

I figure the noble quarters can do either directly under the magma for the forges, on top of the clown fortress, or over the magma pipes nearby. I'll worry about that when I need to, right now I'm under a severe labor shortage. Don't want too many migrants yet, since the facilities do not exist to house, clothe, and feed them.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27378 on: January 18, 2013, 11:34:04 am »

It's been about 1 year in my fort since I increased the pop cap, and I have almost reached 200 from the 20 I had before. -.-
I haven't dug any areas besides two downward staircases past 2 z-levels from the surface!  And even then, just barely!
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27379 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:14 am »

Just had a tantrum spiral of death and lost about 60 dwarves down from 120. Still going down. Seems like I have to relocate soon  :-\
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27380 on: January 18, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »

In the middle of a tantrum spiral related to a large goblin invasion. I noticed one of my berserk dwarven children now had four names. She killed five adult dwarves in her rampage before she was put down by a fisherdwarf.

The spiral's pretty out of control, I think the metropolis of Pridetrades is about to be abandoned.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27381 on: January 18, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »

Beautysteel has breached the caverns! They are 40+Z-levels below the bulk of the fortress (which puts them 60+ below the top of the mountain) - maybe our excavations missed a cavern level?

Initial view shows a tribe of cave swallow men in residence, who I believe use poisoned weapons but no significant armour. Copper Bolt production is being increased from the (otherwise useless) supplies of Tetrahedrite.

I have spied a suitable location to carve Fortifications through the wall of the cavern at shooting distance from their food stockpile. There will also be enough room for the pump stack behind it.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27382 on: January 18, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »

Odorrigged fell to a goblin siege. No defense set up, no military training. I decided to let the dorf die.

A few seconds later, Trammeledgravel was founded. This time, all the activity is to be held underground.
Already breached the first cavern, as usual the main stariway was designed to break over the ceiling of the cave, so I just designed a grate to be built over the hole, thus allowing tree-farming but at the same time preventing flying FB to enter the fort.

I also have a river, this time, so I plan to build a tower over the main gate that will release water over the seiging force. When they will come. Because I have already found limonite and hematite, so I just need a lot of wood (I have it) in order to start smelting and forging armor equipment.
But first, I need to build beds.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27383 on: January 18, 2013, 04:13:50 pm »

I got a useful artifact in the first year!

Maskir Amal, "The equivalence of Teaching", a iron war hammer
This is a iron war hammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of oval lavender jade cabochons. On the item is an image of Zon Latewire the dwarf and dwarves in iron. Zon Latewire is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Zon Latewire to the position of queen of The Tombs of Cremating in 1.

Basic value:25.200
Gotta rush to arm my militia... at least the gate is easy to close, the lever is already linked and it's in the middle of the working area, so plenty of dwarves.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:15:22 pm by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27384 on: January 18, 2013, 04:20:56 pm »

The Equivalence of Teaching is the perfect name for a hammerer's hammer. Bitchin' artifact bro.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27385 on: January 18, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »

The Equivalence of Teaching is the perfect name for a hammerer's hammer. Bitchin' artifact bro.

I noticed it. But how to equip a hammerer with it? I understand how to equip a militian, not a civilian
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27386 on: January 18, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

I dunno. I've never specifically equipped a hammerer with a hammer because I usually intervene with dwarven (in)justice with an atom smasher or death tower.

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27387 on: January 18, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »

Somehow my fort managed to survive 3 massive tantrum spirals. Death count is over 200 atm. That's a lot of coffins!

Dwarf count is up to 94. Also one of them is a vampire (exposed himself by murdering a beekeeper)! Training him into a semi-immortal supersoldier. Maybe I'll try to convert all of my dorfs into vampires some day.

EDIT: aww forgot to turn on seasonal save, now it cost me 6 hours of gameplay when the game crashed (right back to the start)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:47:19 pm by fungee »
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27388 on: January 18, 2013, 06:22:40 pm »

Embarked on a partially evil rez-happy jungle, and checked my expedition leaders personality: He worships a deity called Tholtig, who usually takes the form of a female dwarf, and is associated with fortresses. This bodes well.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27389 on: January 18, 2013, 06:37:45 pm »

Had a  werecritter attack, made it  into the depot area. He attacked the resident jewelcutter, but did nothing more than shake him around by the leg with his arm. No injections, no cuts, so he shouldnt be infected. He transformed into an olm man and tried to run, but was cut down. A goblin ambush made it to the depot as well, but they were torn up by the human guards.

Still working on getting the main ramp designated, but the biggest part of designating is done.

Pages: 1 ... 1824 1825 [1826] 1827 1828 ... 3838