Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2939 2940 [2941] 2942 2943 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853466 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44100 on: December 02, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »

Can humans simply not handle dwarven alcohol? I have only embarked for 2 seasons, and already I've had 3 human deaths for no apparent reason in my Tavern. No combat logs, just dead humans getting dragged to the corpse stockpile, two of which are covered in vomit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44101 on: December 02, 2015, 09:29:38 pm »

Can humans simply not handle dwarven alcohol? I have only embarked for 2 seasons, and already I've had 3 human deaths for no apparent reason in my Tavern. No combat logs, just dead humans getting dragged to the corpse stockpile.

Probably alcohol poisoning. Makes me wonder if it's resistable with some particular trait, or if it really is the type of alcohol that matters? Like, dwarven rum and beer will put a man in the ground, while perry or longland beer won't or much more forgiving at least.

The humans seem to be enjoying their time, as a shortage of immediate work needs has lead to impromptu story and music sessions. A lack of violence is an indicator of goodness or at least sober visitors.

I also mistook a dwarf's name from a creature. An Earswam? "What the fuck is an Earswam" I instantly thought.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44102 on: December 02, 2015, 09:42:57 pm »

Another one bites the dust. Apparently my tavern keeper knows nothing about responsible service of alcohol.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also it appears on engraved slabs that they die due to suffocation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:22:13 pm by Borge »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44103 on: December 02, 2015, 09:54:40 pm »

Another one bites the dust. Apparently my tavern keeper knows nothing about responsible service of alcohol.

Quite the contrary, he knew it was his responsibility to get rid of those filthy gobbos in the most efficient way possible.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44104 on: December 02, 2015, 10:38:26 pm »

Also it appears on engraved slabs that they die due to suffocation.

It was inevitable
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44105 on: December 02, 2015, 11:09:50 pm »

Two lord consorts and a poet petitioned to live in my inn long term and my chief scholar as finally stopped pondering and started writing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44106 on: December 02, 2015, 11:11:38 pm »

To give the militia some practice, I've gotten the armorer to whip up some mail and plan to send them after a coyote pack.

So far, tavern patrons have proven agreeable, with no violence or alcohol poisoning-related deaths, but they keep sniggering when shown a layout of the fort. Because the Temple of Battle, with the two barracks "below" it on the maps.... Well, it vaguely resembles a dick. Hindsight was not kind to the few worshippers to the god of war.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44107 on: December 02, 2015, 11:55:26 pm »

Ok this is becoming incredibly strange. Not only three of my dwarves, but I now just had a kitten die due to suffocation. No combat logs, i saw it unconscious in a food storage room, with both of its lungs blue in the wounds screen. Then it died, with its body covered in vomit. Did someone feed the kitten rum? Or is something other than alcohol poisoning killing me dwarves? I'm in a Joyous Wilds biome. Are there any lethal vermin that could cause this? It's starting to become a bit of a mystery. Only been three seasons, with 5 visitor deaths, and 3 dwarf citizens die due to suffocation either inside the tavern or nearby. Most covered in vomit after death.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:57:00 pm by Borge »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44108 on: December 03, 2015, 12:03:32 am »

I've got two things now: A human crossbowman has decided they would like to take up residence in Soldiersmith for the purpose of soldiering. I've also had a metalworker go missing.

I've begun preparing the catacombs as a result.

EDIT: Seems that petitions mean what they say. The crossbowman can't be assigned labors, and a bard who moved in refuses to serve with the militia (despite having skill with a crossbow.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44109 on: December 03, 2015, 12:55:11 am »

...huh. Suddenly a whole bunch of cancel drink: item lost or destroyed spam, a bunch of recover wounded from the drink stockpile, and there's custard-apple cider on the floor. Did one of my barrels explode or something? o.o

Oh, and also apparently I found some aquifer tiles or something hidden in the rocks despite the fact the embark said there wasn't any. Yay.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44110 on: December 03, 2015, 01:03:24 am »

Oh, and also apparently I found some aquifer tiles or something hidden in the rocks despite the fact the embark said there wasn't any. Yay.
IIRC the "Aquifer" notifier in the embark screen only shows up if there's a layer with an aquifer.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44111 on: December 03, 2015, 01:05:19 am »

I've had two dwarves of mine die due to alcohol poisoning. I'll have to get used to that, because it's so... un-dorfy. For the time being, they're buried in a hurriedly-excavated and smoothed memorial hall.

Ah well. At least they died as they lived: happy, drunk, and covered in vomit.
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44112 on: December 03, 2015, 01:11:28 am »

Well, tried making a new world since the first .42 world I made died every time before unloading the embark wagon.

I've managed to survive until the outpost liaison came, who has told me of 5 kidnappings with 3 victims.  Nil Vaultpaints will grow up to be one messed up kid, assuming he survives wherever he is now.

Hurridly putting together all the wood trap components I can, to get what supplies are available (yay aquifer, and I haven't found the path around it yet).

At least I'm managing well in keeping idling dwarves to a minimum, but that never was all that difficult.  (Now if I could just get them to build my kitchen...)

//Torrenal

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44113 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:44 am »

None of my guests seem to want to either join my fort or rent out the rooms in the tavern...I wonder if I'm being too impatient though. Still don't have a mayor for some odd reason, I always forget when those pop up.

Also I need to expand my tavern, all my dwarves like hanging out in there instead of the dining hall now. Future forts might forgo the dining hall altogether in favour of a massive tavern...hm.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44114 on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:01 am »

...huh. Suddenly a whole bunch of cancel drink: item lost or destroyed spam, a bunch of recover wounded from the drink stockpile, and there's custard-apple cider on the floor. Did one of my barrels explode or something? o.o
The butler did it.

Did you do the F1/F2 thing to check if your embark overlapped two or more biomes? By default, it only shows the biome that coveres the most space in your embark, but sometimes there's also a second biome over part of it that does have an aquafer.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 ... 2939 2940 [2941] 2942 2943 ... 3836