Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2937 2938 [2939] 2940 2941 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5933797 times)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44070 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:56 am »

Everything was going well until that web-spinning titan showed up.

Oh well, on to the next fort.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44071 on: December 02, 2015, 04:32:07 am »

Everything was going well until the worldgen crashed. Gosh darn PotatOS-X.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44072 on: December 02, 2015, 05:36:32 am »

...correct me if I'm wrong, but obsidian is only present where water and magma/lava meet, yeah? It's not one of the random layer materials?

There's a mountain in the corner of this map with exposed obsidian walls that I am going to sit here and eye. It's not reading as warm, but...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44073 on: December 02, 2015, 05:46:14 am »

...Huh. Save, dig into it, scum if everything burns? It's a new version, science is needed.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44074 on: December 02, 2015, 05:53:05 am »

...okay now I'm worried. I hope it's a new version thing, because yeah. Obsidian is EVERYWHERE. I literally have an embark with obsidian layer material. This is. I don't even.

Also ffs woodcutter I had to break the wagon to build that axe for you and you had to go and kill yourself cutting trees down. All my lineface.

EDIT: Saved by crash. Thankfully initial save is on, so let's try that again...

EDIT: Lulz another crash. Okay time to move where I was digging.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:59:54 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44075 on: December 02, 2015, 05:59:38 am »

...correct me if I'm wrong, but obsidian is only present where water and magma/lava meet, yeah? It's not one of the random layer materials?

There's a mountain in the corner of this map with exposed obsidian walls that I am going to sit here and eye. It's not reading as warm, but...
...okay now I'm worried. I hope it's a new version thing, because yeah. Obsidian is EVERYWHERE. I literally have an embark with obsidian layer material. This is. I don't even.

Also ffs woodcutter I had to break the wagon to build that axe for you and you had to go and kill yourself cutting trees down. All my lineface.

EDIT: Saved by crash. Thankfully initial save is on, so let's try that again...
Relax. I've seen natural obsidian before; there's magma nearby, but you'll find warm stone before anything horrible happens. So rejoice: you've got easy access to magma now!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44076 on: December 02, 2015, 06:01:53 am »

That's if my game will stop crashing long enough to find it! XD I have an error log stating carps are trying to path to stupid places, so I might have to find some way to murder them fast.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44077 on: December 02, 2015, 06:24:23 am »

Got my first embark on the new version after lots of worldgening and crashes and it's a doozy. Elves are already extinct and dwarves aren't doing well against the gobos, but I just took over a volcano in the heart of gobo land it it's got hematite (which I've never seen next to volcano and I didn't even do an fiddling with parameters!?). It's split volcano and badlands both of which are untamed wilds. There are no trees or water, but those are for hippies and sober people.

I'm tempted to hold on to this until critical bugs have been worked out. I would hate to lose it.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44078 on: December 02, 2015, 06:58:43 am »

Obsidian can indeed be a layer material; I had an embark a while back where the upper layer was almost all obsidian. Didn't hit lava any sooner than usual.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44079 on: December 02, 2015, 07:49:07 am »

My first experience with animal people wasn't much different than earlier versions. I noticed the wolverine people show up on the map, but I was too busy getting my well built to pay much attention. A while later I checked the combat log. My guard dog chewed one of them up and put some hurt on others. Makes me wonder, will be able to "domesticate" (civilize?) the animal people who just wander onto the map in groups or do we have to wait for already civilized (maybe that's better, but it sort of smacks of colonialism) animal people to arrive and join our fort?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44080 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:13 am »

My first experience with animal people wasn't much different than earlier versions. I noticed the wolverine people show up on the map, but I was too busy getting my well built to pay much attention. A while later I checked the combat log. My guard dog chewed one of them up and put some hurt on others. Makes me wonder, will be able to "domesticate" (civilize?) the animal people who just wander onto the map in groups or do we have to wait for already civilized (maybe that's better, but it sort of smacks of colonialism) animal people to arrive and join our fort?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Colonialism what DF is all about? Going forth, taming the untamed wilds, bending nature to fit the will of the outpost, and then subjugating every race under your iron fisted rule that doesn't join you willingly and all that jazz.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #44081 on: December 02, 2015, 12:30:54 pm »

It can be there like a regular mineral. I've only seen it on a map twice in my 3 years of playing, however.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44082 on: December 02, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »

Currently, in my new fort in 42.01, a miner, a bowyer and a stoneworker have formed a singing group and are performing for assorted idlers, including some warrior types, a dancer and a bard who have all come to visit. The tavern's name is the Dumpling of Drink. Unfortunately my manager seems to spend an awful lot of time socializing, something I worry might mean a slowdown of production. We're in our first winter, at FurnaceDiamonds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44083 on: December 02, 2015, 01:39:57 pm »

One of my original 7 drank too much in the Muddy Mushroom and passed out by the forge unable to breathe (I assume choking on vomit). She recovered from her ordeal but she's a disheartened by her close call.

Unrelated: Has anybody had a visitor rent a room? I have beds assigned to the Muddy Mushroom but my three visitors seem content to stand around socializing for months on and never get a room.

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44084 on: December 02, 2015, 01:46:23 pm »

I mean, to be fair, an uncivilised animal person would likely be shitting in the corner of the tavern and eating other peoples' food. Unacceptable practice.

A line has to be drawn at some point. It's like the difference between a domesticated and wild-dog. Or, a caveman and a member of civilization.
Pages: 1 ... 2937 2938 [2939] 2940 2941 ... 3838