Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5921711 times)

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15030 on: August 03, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »

I planned on using it for useless migrants but so far, all of them were useful or at least good cannon fodder.

I never really got that. Unless FPS is the problem, every Dorf has limitless potential. Just assign him a ton of jobs, or something you want him to do and get better at, eventually, or, failing that, the military could always use more meatsh- Honored Comrades

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15031 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »

moved the training ground to the very edge of my entrance, with the idea that my guards would be able to protect wall expansions from ambushers. Sure, this stripped them of cage-trap protection, but they're both legendary, one with a whip. What could go wrong? Well... the Whip master died while the legless master cleaned up afterwards. How! Apparently like this:

- Whip master chips bones of goblins left and right. Many are presumed dead. In addition to whip works, he used a dagger, his fingernails, his teeth, his fists, his legs, and so forth in an amazing display of fury.
- A goblin spearman tackles the master (no worries, it's happend like 5 times in the fight already)
- Goblin spearman kicks knocked-down master in the ribs, sending a piece of rib through his lung
- Fighting the dwarf, the spearman et al stabs his hand, his arm, his leg, and his foot. I find that these are mostly going through pig-tail clothes, or wooden leggings. Wait.. WOODEN legging? huh? And... wooden gauntlet?
- much more stabbing, vomiting, tendons and nerves being torn ... death

never, NEVER, allow a dwarf to equip something from the stockpile of dead elvish merchants. Throw all of it into the trash and compact it, or at least forbid it until you sell it to the humans. Also, apparently steel mail shirts do not protect ribs against kicks.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15032 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:30 pm »

Well, my completely flat desert like fortress is going well so far, except for vultures that insist on stealing stuff from my trade depot. I will probably train some marksdwarfs to take care of them as the speardwarf I have right now isn't exactly effective against the flying buggers. Also, I had to trap a clothesmaker in a hastily made workshop because he got a mood and wants silk and cut gems, of which I don't have. Ah well, first mood and it is a failed one.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15033 on: August 03, 2011, 05:45:41 pm »

Ok, this was a definite "What the...!?" moment:

Forgotten beast shows up (Forest Titan), at top/embark level, body made of sand, nothing too special, but I send out a squad to deal with it, and they're all standing around the edge of the water moat, so I figure they killed it.

I look down and it's stuck at the bottom of the moat (which is river fed) doing nothing.  Ok.  And still... doing nothing.  Meh, can't reach it to kill, it won't move, but whatever, it has no line of sight to anyone or anything, so no harm no foul, I have a new Forgotten Beast aquarium.

Second forgotten beast shows up from the second cavern level, and it's a hornet, so I send a squad to station at the top of the stairs below the dining/living area, and the second it pops out, they slice it into several pieces.

Then an elven caravan shows up, so I'm off to the trading depot when I get a message:

"Dwarven Child cancels Eat:  Interrupted by Forest Titan."

Wait a sec... there's only one place these dwarves eat, and it's not the river!  It followed the river all the way from the moat, down the fresh water supply shaft, and came out a well !  (I have a row of wells for fancy water supply zones in the dining hall )

Of course 60% of all the military was sitting there having lunch, pulled out their shiny (just forged) adamantine battle axes, and had it's head off in about 3 seconds.

But wow, I am just amazed.  A sand creature makes it through the water supply, comes up a well, and attacks the dining hall!?  GENIUS!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15034 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »

"That poor creature..."
All I did was give it a haircut and sell you the wool, elves. ::)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15035 on: August 03, 2011, 06:03:22 pm »

I was trading with the elves, getting some booze and food and a caged jaguar.

I then forgot they hate if you trade anything that is made of wood. The prepared meals I was going to sell to them? Stored in wood barrels.

So I enacted Plan B. That is, I had the militia go and kick and punch the merchants to death.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #15036 on: August 03, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

Well, my first fortress has been built by the side of a stream. It's been built out completely; now I'm waiting for the forever-idle Dwarves to make furniture...
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15037 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »

I'm going against all conventional wisdom and forcing my military, each of whom with the capability to kill every living thing to socialize with each other. They're split into 2 groups based on physical attributes in hope the dwarves with the best genes will marry and make super-babies.

This is going to go very right or horribly wrong.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15038 on: August 03, 2011, 10:08:52 pm »

Just had a minor pumping accident.

I'm still busy building my water cannon - now fits kittens! - and I accidentally left a space. Thinking nothing of it, since it was winter and everything was either ice or more ice, I went about my day.

Next second, the ice melts and now there's water everywhere. So my mechanic is hurriedly rampaging around, linking a lever to the important gears so I can stop the wall of water before it hits my fortress staircase.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15039 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »

I just found out that my armorer and weapon smith are lovers. The armorer is very strong willed and tough, while the weapon smith is weak of will and flimsy. Its like the armorer is the only thing keeping him from losing his sanity in my fort.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15040 on: August 03, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »

Over 1000 pages... I wonder what the post-limit is.....

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15041 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »

I removed all the ramps from my moat, except the ones covered by the drawbridge.

About 2-3 seasons later, I decide to smooth it down. Dwarf starts smoothing it. Only one, not my army of detailers. I check it out, and the drawbridges are covering the only exit. The guy is starving and dehydrating. He obviously wont last much longer.

Quickly I tell my masons to build a staircase down. They build the downstairs, and suspend the upstairs "no path." Cant build staircases down.

There is stone in the ditch, I quickly turn on masoning of my miner and unsuspend. Another dwarf gets the task and suspends it. I turn off all other masons. Not much time left, now. I unpause... nothing happens. The dumb ass is 'On Break'.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15042 on: August 03, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »

The best time for a break is always when your dying and about to escape.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15043 on: August 03, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »

I have no clue how you'd go about implementing a system to fix stuff like that. I know everybody needs to stop and take a break for a while, but in that situation, anybody who wanted to survive would shamble over to that stone, get the stairs built and get to, you know, keep on living. We tend to press ourselves past our comfort zone or even what we thought we could endure in the name of survival. Maybe when the actual AI, like, when the Dorfs start thinking like people, gets implemented in 25 years.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #15044 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:23 am »

I have no clue how you'd go about implementing a system to fix stuff like that. I know everybody needs to stop and take a break for a while, but in that situation, anybody who wanted to survive would shamble over to that stone, get the stairs built and get to, you know, keep on living. We tend to press ourselves past our comfort zone or even what we thought we could endure in the name of survival. Maybe when the actual AI, like, when the Dorfs start thinking like people, gets implemented in 25 years.

you fool! you would DOOM US ALL!?
Urist mcimmigrant cancels *going into the welcoming chamber* Reason: "i'm not stupid"
urist mcsoldier cancels *going in the caves* Reason:"I AM NOT SUICIDAL"
Urist mcminer has become a mysterious construction! urist mcminer has created "PICK OF PANDIMENSIONS" *and he starts digging out of your pc
next thing we know, it's dwarf fortress becoming selfcoscient and trying to ascend.
with more magma, obviously.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 3838