Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2027 2028 [2029] 2030 2031 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5928028 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30420 on: August 02, 2013, 03:23:07 pm »

Fortressbowel, pop 211, year 23

Kobold ambush, annihilated by the human caravan.

Goblin siege repelled with 0 loses, the marksdwarves took potshots at the spear squads and the weapon traps did the rest.
The Overseer is near mental breakdown due to the sheer amount of goblinite to be gathered and processed, not to mention the foul and mutilated bodies of the greenskins.

A very large keep is to be built on the surface, the construction perimeter is being completely walled, with an approximate progress of 75%.

The shitty original barracks in one of the soil layers has been abandoned, and a new barracks is being built near the first cavern layer and adorned with exquisite engravings of purring maggots.

Also we have started mass production of golden statues that will dot the surface landscape in pointless ego boosting.

Kivish Likotosod, Queen of The Decent Palisade is dead at last, we are free of her tyranny for all eternity!
The old hag dropped dead in the kitchen, while everyone feasted on prepared dog lungs and stuff.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:19:08 pm by Bludulukus »

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30421 on: August 03, 2013, 07:01:26 am »

Rigothkilrud, 11th Limestone, 129

The overseer really slagged it this time.  Ordered some digging without checking the blueprints.  Now the magma plumbing's been breached and the cemetery and several recently dug quarters are fillin' with magma.  He scrambled us to build new walls to prevent further damage and has ordered more magma powered furnaces and workshops.

Blood and shale!  I bet he's going to pretend this was his plan all along.  Bloody overseers.

(edited, spelling)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:12:33 am by morlicar »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30422 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:35 am »

Is it cruel to force prisoners to drink only water?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30423 on: August 03, 2013, 08:05:31 am »

Generally it's standard procedure. They're being punished for being an idiot so when they get out they've have to blunder about blind stinking sober to get booze.

What, am I the only one who has enough faith in their dwarves to feed and water prisoners?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30424 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:06 am »

Nope.

The cruel part is when they die of thirst due to everyone being at a party.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30425 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:51 am »

My, pick demanding cat liking, master wood burning king has been killed due to a random tantruming metalsmith beating his skull in. I'm really kinda upset. I liked that king. I would imagine a king going to work burning wood all day, smelling of ash and campfire. A peasants job.

Though, I have to approve of a low class metalcrafter getting so pissed off that he murders the royalty. Fight the power!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30426 on: August 03, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »

I had embarked on this nice lake site with cliff edges and a volcano inside it and after I had gotten things settled down (and after a tiny migrant wave of another fisherdwarf, a potash maker who I made into my secondary farmer and the farmers 10 or 11 year old son), I decided to get some fishing started.

Unfortunately, there is no fish! AT ALL. Although, I read on the wiki that embarking with a river flowing into the lake creates a rolling stock, so that could work?

Also, anybody know of any cheats or ways to force the lake to restock with fish? I was thinking of making a megaproject out of this and have a fort rising out of the water or something and having a fishing industry would be good.

Edit: I did some regenerating of that world, made copies and tested out some embarks and a re-embark on the same spot showed fish as being available. Wierd. No idea if it's a random thing, but maybe I can re-embark on this again. Maybe include one of the rivers, dunno.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:06:06 pm by smjjames »

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30427 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:16 pm »

Rigothkilrud, 8th Felsite, 131

Alat Eribigam, one of our miners, has gone missing while channeling access to the magma flooded rooms.  Coincidentally, there was a cloud of ash and smoke billowing from his worksite.  While no one saw or heard anything to confirm an accident, we fear the worst.  We shall engrave a memorial slab for him in a few days if he doesn't turn up.  We will need to forge a replacement pick as well. 

It will take some work to find a replacement for him.  We number ninete...eighteen strong, and shouldn't receive migrants unless the mountainhomes get word we've fallen to less then 12 in number.  As it is, everyone already has multiple duties; one of us will need to add another.

Well, despite the setback, the project to recover the part of level two that the overseer carelessly flooded with magma is proceeding well.  We've already carved a few new rooms in the obsidian we've cast.

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30428 on: August 04, 2013, 03:40:48 am »

Building into hell. Getting close to the crunch time. Got slightly side-tracked whilst creating a forgotten beast silk farm but I should be able to breach hell soon....

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30429 on: August 04, 2013, 10:47:32 am »

Broker cancels surgery, Unconscious.
Trader Urist McKillsHimselfOperatingOnSomeoneElse has bled to death.

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30430 on: August 04, 2013, 11:45:57 am »

Rigothkilrud, 16th Timber 131

Alright, listen up!

The overseer has a message for ye! 

We've recovered the magma flooded rooms!  Good work.  Have a round on the house.  Yes, we've got a lot of work to do cleaning the mess we've made of the entry level during the project, but we can now take a moment to remember Alath Eribigam, who disappeared during phase two of the project.  Let's have a moment of silence while we drink to him and try to remember who he was.

Well, that's that.  The caravan from the mountainhomes is here and we need the flux and steel we've requested so back to work!  These battle axes won't haul themselves to the depot!

------------------------
This is an exceptional dacite memorial to Alath Eribigam
The slab reads, "In memory of Alath Eribigam.  Born 48.  Went missing in the year 131.  Lover of quivers"

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #30431 on: August 04, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »

Massive tantrum spiral that started with one of the original seven getting trapped in ice (ironically in an attempt to secure a water source to save the one injured dwarf I did have...before that only one death from a failed mood).

After a couple dwarves got put down after going berserk, apparently someone injured the dwarven envoy.  The rest of the fort killed that dwarf, which then caused those dwarves to get attacked, and then those dwarves got attacked....

At the moment I'm down from 60 dwarves to 10, with those 10 still beating the crap out of one another and most badly injured.

Its a shame because this was my above-ground "f*ck the elves" fort, and it was doing so well (60 dwarves, ridiculous amounts of food, legendary cooks, brewers, weavers...just bought out an entire dwarven caravan with booze and prepared food....great times).

UPDATE: Down to 3 dwarves and the cascade seems to have stopped.  One of my two artifacts just got stolen by a thief that wasn't discovered.   One dwarf unconcious with a yellow hand injury, one asleep with no injuries and one uninjured but miserable

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30432 on: August 04, 2013, 01:37:44 pm »

Damnit, i was so excited to get a vampire after n+ forts without one, and he's bugged. I made him my bookkeeper, and first he just kept updating the stupid records for a whole season after reaching perfection, when i forced him out of that (by giving, then ending a military station order) he went on break and won't come back. Guess i'll have to send some dwarfs into his room to do his basic work for him when he can't be arsed, stupid piece of shit bloodsucker. Or does anybody know how to un-stuck a noble on permanent holiday?

EDIT: He showed 'conduct meeting' with the human diplomat but none of the meeting dialogue ever popped up. Figuring i could make the best of a totally fucked-up noble, i just ordered him to slay the diplomat (which made him happy) and then he finally, finally, finally stepped into the personal danger room i had constructed for him but which he, being stuck on break, was impossible to maneuvre into. He's legendary in axes, fighting and shields now and everything is forgiven. Actually, nothing is forgiven, the arsehole cost me three dwarfs. And because he was constantly on break, just opening the door to his room cost me two dwarfs - the only 'job' he could do, and which he will constantly do given the opportunity, is 'drain citizens of blood'. And the stupid piece of shit other dwarfs won't react to a vampire draining a victim _while they're standing on top of him_.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:37:04 pm by Larix »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30433 on: August 04, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »

Treemurder: Autumn of year 1.  Caverns pierced, magma is proving difficult... well, more annoying: the bottom of the caverns is really close to the magma, so there's no level I can work on that doesn't get either damp or warm stone cancellations.

Stockpiling Microcline.  All Microcline will be turned into blocks when basic masonry is accounted for, until then it's "economic".  There's enough at the site that I can build my defenses and roads out of it.

Hardcoded migrant waves were small, but that probably means I'll get my slaves hauler/builders in the first "regular" wave.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30434 on: August 04, 2013, 07:30:23 pm »

Right now i really don't know what to do with my Baronmayorbookkeepervampire. I danger-roomed him out of curiosity and holy moly is that a broken mechanic: legendary in shields in less than two days, legendary with weapon in less than a week, legendary armour user and dodger in a bit over a month i think. I managed to get 4/7 water in his tile and now he's a legendary swimmer, too. Problem is i can't let him out or he'll go on a citizen-guzzling rampage, because he's stuck in 'on break' mode - he's in constant feed mode and won't ever get out of it, only the fact that he's kept behind locked doors keeps my citizens safe.

He's also a lover of large gems. So far, my fortress has managed to produce two of those, in ~3 years, from ~200 rough gems. Of course, that meant one mandate failed and a fisherdwarf was picked out to go to jail. For 101 days. She survived, because i had her chained up in the middle of a food stockpile. But the next large gem mandate is only a matter of time.

The vampire would be an awesome fighter (must be something like legendary +200 or so with shields and axes), but i'd need to find a way to release him on enemies without giving him a chance to get near my citizens. I can't order him to do any work himself, because he's on break. So i'm more in favour of driving him mad; if he doesn't berserk, he can still serve as fort life insurance _and_ would release his bugged stranglehold on all diplomacy: his first meeting with the human diplomat never properly started, and now the humans send no diplomats at all, while the dwarven diplomats don't even try to meet him, they just hang around in the meeting hall instead of sneaking around the vampire's office; seems they still wait for the vampire-human meeting to play out, which with a dead human law-giver isn't going to finish anytime soon.

Oh, and who said vampires' attributes get locked? Mine went from 'very weak' and one positive physical attribute ('robust', i think) to "absolutely inexhaustible, basically unbreakable, amazingly agile and very strong". His mental attributes rose substantially, too.
Pages: 1 ... 2027 2028 [2029] 2030 2031 ... 3838