Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845487 times)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2015, 01:48:41 am »

Depending on how much load the floor was holding, it could be very useful. Flesh has a lot less compressive strength than stone, and converting a large enough portion of a building's stone to flesh could seriously compromise the structural integrity of said building.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:07 am »

From the sounds of it, the wizard was being random at least to annoy the NPC. Though it might make the floor difficult terrain at the very least. Basically though, this is the gamemaster's headache.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2015, 02:04:05 am »

Hard to say-- what is the nature of this villain? Perhaps turning his fortress into a quivering glob of pulsating flesh would have some effect other than just being a super dickish thing to do.

Say for instance, undead being opposed to life, forcing the necrocops to get derailed by the giant morbid ball of magically animated flesh.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2015, 02:26:03 am »

From the sounds of it, the wizard was being random at least to annoy the NPC. Though it might make the floor difficult terrain at the very least. Basically though, this is the gamemaster's headache.

This, it didn't end up having any mechanic effect and I don't think he intended it to.  Just a "Fine throw me under the bus I'll transmute your room".

This lich lord has cast 2 gates and a power word kill so far.  The wizard's level 15 (CL 12).  He only survived the power word kill (no save or hitroll, die if <=100hp) by turning into a hydra.
I guess it is going on long, but I'm actually still enjoying it - aw it used Power Word Stun, another no-save no-hitroll effect, 2 rounds of stun.  Guess that's probably gg.

Three level 9 spells, IE the same level as wish.  It's like the worst genie ever.
aw DC 28 finger of death, save failed
Nevermind rolled exactly the DC 26 and survived, still stunned though
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:28:08 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2015, 02:31:46 am »

I now wonder what a DM would do, if presented with a player doing the following batshit stunt:

Stone to flesh on a stone floor, giant stone boulder, mountain side, etc--
Using an offensive spell on the animated flesh to "kill it".
Using animate dead to reanimate the dead flesh as a monsterous undead flesh golem.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:05 am »

Well, there was the time a boulder was being flung at our landboat and we decided to stop it in the silliest way
The wizard cast stone-to-flesh on it, and my cleric cast a very tall, thin wall of stone in its path to slice it in half.
It didn't work out for my cleric though, got knocked off the landboat into a bunch of furious treants and soul-claimed by dark forces due to a pact.

Oh the wizard got feebleminded, he's now an ethereal 1-int pyrohydra for the forseeable future.  Which is sorta like my elven bard who got reincarnated as a mindless tarrasque a few hours after being introduced.  God I love this game, really gotta wrap up the session soon though it's getting early.

"What does my character even do now?"  "Well you want to seek out temperate - no, warm marshes."  "I'm ethereal"
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2015, 02:48:11 am »

"What does my character even do now?"  "Well you want to seek out temperate - no, warm marshes."  "I'm ethereal"
"Well then you want to seek out ethereal warm marshes are you happy now?"
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2015, 02:58:02 am »

Yes. You are drawn toward ethereal realms featuring warm marshy swamplands. The afterlives of several sentient swamp creature species are all nice attractive places you wish to visit.

Now, the amusing thing-- Combined with the earlier "Wear a headband of intelligence for 24 hours means "permanent" INT boost!", and some magical healing, his character might not be fully out of the game, assuming he can get a conspirator.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:01:08 am by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2015, 03:00:39 am »

Last post tonight

I missed a crucial part.  The lich cast feeblemind on Gemariah, an adjacent hydra.  Gemariah tore it *apart*.  THEN ascended to the surface to search for marshes.  The Greater Blink wore off, so he wandered over to the coast and melted a nest of raw glass.  An hour or so later he returned to his natural moon elf form...  Still unintelligent.  But victorious, and still holding the absurdly important holy handbook of transmutation and the philosopher's stone.

I think the death knights are just lost and sad.
She/they

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2015, 03:02:39 am »

YES! Headband time!  He NEEDS a headband of intelligence. You said he was lv 10?  That's an int boost sufficient to make him not be a jibbering idiot, long enough for him to fix himself.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2015, 03:13:33 am »

Oh wow thank you for that, he's actually wearing one (level 15, now 16).  Thanks to you, his familiar took the headband off and put it back on, we're assuming maybe it works like that.  It might not have been necessary but this makes the narrative most consistent.
She/they

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2015, 03:25:45 am »

Exploiting rules is something I seem particularly good at.  I have wanted to play some purposefully "shit" sessions just to see how much greif I could cause, but I would only do that with a group's full complicit permission.

Sadly, I dont know anyone local who plays.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2015, 10:06:58 am »

Session 2 (for me) of League of Evil "Gentlemen" was us arriving into town, recovering, and buying a wagon. The wagon salesman had some weird stuff, and we ended up going for an all-terrain amphibious bus kinda thing, complete with a Chest of Holding and another Chest with permanent Cold, kitchen, lots of walking room... one of us wanted to craft a gun for a whole day, so I decided to pass time by looking for the nearest "dojo" or whatever it's called in Faerun (BTW, we're Pathfinder characters that ended up in the D&D material plane) and challenging everyone on a 1-on-1 fight. It was a neat timewaster, about 5 combats with increasingly higher level opponents, each was probably done in 1 to 2 rounds, pretty one sided in my favor, then the level 20 master kicking my ass. The whole thing was over in like 5 minutes.

This had nothing to do with the plot, didn't advance anything, didn't get me xp or loot. Just something to do.

So, we started on the road, and fought 3 hill giants, who tipped over our ride, and got plenty of AoA's because reach (luckily I HAZ ACROBAT MONK). Killed them no problem.

Next session, we continued our journey. We ran over some kind of plant. We were supposed to fight it. But we were like "it's a freakin' plant, just drive over it). Then we ran into a pile of dirt. It seemed to move, but we weren't sure. So the wizard of course cast Slow on it. Now we definitely had no chance of telling if it moved or not. So again, we drove over it and kept on. Next, a hydra attacked us... so, yeah, before it could catch up to us, we ran for it in our magical bus. Eventually we made camp, and resumed the next day. There were 3 minotaurs in our way, didn't seem like they were going to let us go (apparently they had wizard levels? we didn't find out yet).

The fun part: as we slowed down ready to kick their heads in, we noticed that down the road from where we arrived, was a mob train of death: a hydra followed by a pile of dirt (Earth elemental, I think) followed by the nasty weed... so, by escaping all those "easier" fights now we have to fight all these creatures. So, time ran out and the session was over. Wonder what will happen next...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:33 pm »

Oh wow thank you for that, he's actually wearing one (level 15, now 16).  Thanks to you, his familiar took the headband off and put it back on, we're assuming maybe it works like that.  It might not have been necessary but this makes the narrative most consistent.
If he was still a hydra he could wear multiple headbands of intelligence.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2015, 12:43:40 pm »

With the one on, he might be able to muster enough brainpower to polymorph into one again. He would still need multiple headbands though. With an INT score almost completely derived from a buff given by an artifact, he might not be able to make the necessary skill rolls to craft additional bands prior to the polymorph attempt.

Personally, the ultimate goal should be to become intelligent enough via the buff to be able to read the book, and use the philosopher stone. (Assuming the DM follows that particular mythical object properly, part of its feature set is magical panacea-- it can cure any affliction or disease, meaning he could use it to cure his feeble mindedness.)

If nothing else, the familiar can off the guy itself, to save him, per the "True resurrection" properties of the stone.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/minor-artifacts/philosopher-s-stone

With the book, further stones can be crafted, so it's effectively a safe consumable.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:48:22 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 623