Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845451 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #405 on: July 15, 2015, 01:18:25 pm »

Seventh, don't be afraid to push your characters in the right direction, but don't hold them by the hand. Give them a clue if they can't figure out what to do, or drop an NPC group talking about something.

Or straight-out have the cleric's god appear to them in a dream or give them a sign something.
If you want your players to get something, it's best to give many clues. Three is a good rule.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 17, 2015, 03:14:00 pm »

Just had an opportunity to read that Kadz, that is a really cool essay with a lot of good points.  Thanks for digging it up to share.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 17, 2015, 07:09:20 pm »

Trying to see what I can do to pump my parrot's fly skill, so that a gentle breeze won't accidentally send it careening into the wild blue yonder.

Is a +18 misc mod overkill? And does anyone know how I could buff it harder?

E: Didn't mean to post yet. Here's a modifier breakdown:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:15:49 pm by BlackFlyme »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 17, 2015, 07:17:47 pm »

I've got another session with Desperate DM and the Party of Dudes tonight. Story after it develops.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2015, 08:14:06 pm »

I mentioned it a few times in OOC, but my neutral evil tiefling actually bonded a bit with a leaver's paladin. Here's the gist of it:

I lead her out of town to kill her. Player has been salty about me being evil and not sharing my sheet with everyone else. So I thought: "I can justify killing her because she thinks I'm a devil worshipper and she knows buddy is a vampire and didn't act. Perfect reason for killing her: silence." I end up taking her to the river as she was supposed to be back before sundown (as promised. And the river runs through town). So I spend several times trying to get her to go near the riverside so it would be easier to push her in, steal her stuff and say owlbears attacked us and took her body away before I could get to it, with her later on in the day, her body appearing in the river and shock and horror strike everyone as she has several puncture wounds from an owlbear (as there is a problem with them and I have a beak of one) and her valuables would be taken by me and her armour would have been left in the woods.

So I had this elaborate plan, and I even brought my apprentice (long story) with me in case she starts kicking my ass. Then the unthinkable happens: in my attempts to get her to come close, she starts joking around with me and during this time, I even start Sharing backstory stuff to get her to come closer so I can kill her with my magic. Unfortunately, as a player, and as a character, I did end up caring because she was actually leaving the island we were on and probably going to die (monsters and a maelstrom stopped all passage to and from the island) and her calls on her god protecting her brought my character back to his parents who were clerics of Tempus who said the same thing when his brother came the same day to kill them as well as my brother. I immediately snap to shouting that the gods didn't save my brother when he needed them most (he was just as devout to them and was in training to become a cleric himself (my character worshipped Tempus as well, but not as much.)). This unleashed so much feeling and emotion that I couldn't bring myself to kill the paladin. So what happens? DM gives the paladin's Magic sword to my apprentice and since I have no player reason to kill her, and I acutely felt bad for doing this, I LET HER GO.

I can never hold my head high, knowing that my character for a split second, returned to his good natured roots. (In regards to my character: my character was born into a very devout family of Tempus with one troublemaker brother and one goody-two shoes brother. The goody one protected me often from the other one who hated me because he thought he was forgotten. Years later, he kills my brother when he found out that his own brother was part of a thief gang. He later slays my parents who, as I said, claimed their God would save them, and they died. I made it out alive by hiding, but then hate filled my body and I wanted revenge, and the only way to get power as fast as I needed it was to make a deal with Asmodeus to become a warlock. I ended up hunting down thief gangs and killing everyone trying to find answers, or his location, but nothing. The shadow thieves got wind of my killings, paid me for the work I did for them without asking and offered me a job as their hitman in taking out rival gangs. I accepted only to find my brother, but again, to no avail.

So how my character acts is he's a fall from grace character who is doing what he sees as good (killing criminals) in order to find his brother. But the way how he is doing it is bad (I played too much hotline maimi when I made him, so think of his killings like that, but magic instead of guns and no masks, just clever disguises). My character is busted often in his dreams by three people (another hotline Miami reference) where one is his brother in an Asmodeus worshipper' mask (rasmus), another is his mother in a Tempus worshipper's mask (don cornero) and himself behind a raven queen worshipper's mask (Richard). They all have the same personalities, and the dreams happen the same way as they do in hotline maimi, except it's D&D and Richard does it every time I either level up (as the DM put it) or when I commit a major evil act. The Raven (as I call the Richard parallel) came alone on the last one saying I'm digging a deeper grave for myself in hell when I got my pact blade. It's a different way of being conflicted with morals, but it works. The DM is also doing a great job with the dreams I have of Hell, my patron contacting me and those dreams (sadly, I get one of them every night, meaning I never get a good dream sleep)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 17, 2015, 11:03:16 pm »

That's a great story highmax, thank you for sharing it with us.  I like your characterization as well (I don't really like evil characters, but well played characters are great no matter what.)

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 17, 2015, 11:11:36 pm »

That's a great story highmax, thank you for sharing it with us.  I like your characterization as well (I don't really like evil characters, but well played characters are great no matter what.)
I put a lot of detail into my characters. Sadly, a little TOO much. This is actually one of the shorter backstories I made for a character. My first character had a 6 page story with him, Olon the artificer had a 4 page one, the elf berserker had one that was 2 pages, Storm has the shortest, and then this guy with what I showed. I'm not counting ones I made for NPCs in my other games, but some of them do have some reaching stories on them (those that are recurring, etc.)

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2015, 11:13:09 pm »

Wow. I think I've only ever come up with one character who had a story, and that was pulled out of my ass on the fly to justify my prestige class.

'Course, I stopped working on his backstory because I got distracted by birb.

Most of the time I just have stuff like "I am paladin. I hit thing with sharpened stick for God".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2015, 12:10:39 am »

Why do we need 80 different threads? I mean, DnD was 80% of the tabletop thread.
Which, after having the DnD removed from it, has died.

Now where will I post my warhammer junk?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:17:02 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2015, 12:19:04 am »

Not sure actually. Not here though

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 18, 2015, 12:34:32 am »

Thanks. I was confused for a second that the D&D and Pathfinder thread was a Miniatures thread.
Gosh I'm glad you've cleared that up for me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2015, 01:06:07 am »

Well, I don't think that the Tabletop thread really died, I'm pretty sure I saw it up on the front page this week.  And I was only really trying to give people a place to discuss D&D specific stuff.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2015, 01:10:14 am »

Speaking of warhammer, I had a grey knight appear in my 4e game.

I took joy in making him go through an endless cycle of life and death as his body resists all evils, but it's the thing keeping him alive. So now that he's healed of it, he's now gone animalistic and insane. He's taking joy in killing people with his chainsword (which is a legitimate item in 4e)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 18, 2015, 08:57:33 am »

Why do we need 80 different threads? I mean, DnD was 80% of the tabletop thread.
Which, after having the DnD removed from it, has died.

Now where will I post my warhammer junk?

I'd still enjoy your warhamner junk.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 18, 2015, 09:09:28 am »

Because you could be having a discussion on something about dnd in the tabletop game... and then a new pack of magic the gathering came out and derails it.

It was the reason I pretty much never post there.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 623