Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848908 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #735 on: August 20, 2015, 02:22:03 am »

I was thinking more that I'd remove Insight as an "active" thing from the game. Whenever the party encountered someone whom it might affect, I'd roll their (highest?) Insight versus that guy's deception or something, and it would stick for the rest of the conversation. Something like this as a general example.

Stranger A walks up to PC, Stranger rolls 3, PC rolls 10.

"As the unknown man came towards you, a chill went down your spine. His face looked cheerful and kind enough, there was nothing wrong with what he was wearing, but... You could just feel it. You knew he was bad news."

Stranger A walks up to PC, Stranger rolls 10, PC rolls 3.

"Out of the corner of your eye you spot a jovial old man walking up to you, a smile on his face. He seems happy to see you. Perhaps he needs something?"

That sorta difference. 

I guess that would just overcomplicate things.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:28:21 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 20, 2015, 02:32:57 am »

So a question for you fine folks: Would it be theoretically possible for any number of low-level D&D characters (say, each level 4) to eventually triumph over some of the nastier monsters? Things like the tarrasque or great wyrms. My understanding is that such creatures are usually battled by groups of high-level, specially-kitted adventurers. I want to know if zerg rushing could ever succeed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 20, 2015, 02:39:43 am »

The Tarrasque is a bad example. It might say "Challenge Rating 30" but it is far, far weaker than that.

Also, yes, I'd wager ~30 level 5 adventurers could beat any solo "Big Bad" monster assuming it didn't blast them like crazy with AoE. Gated Accuracy and all that.
The circle is complete.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 20, 2015, 04:49:27 am »

What edition, Sirus?
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 20, 2015, 05:16:58 am »

Theoretically you could bring down the Tarrasque with a single casting of Ray of Stupidity, at the whopping cost of a second level spell slot. All you need is a way to overcome the SR. As a 5th level Wizard or Sorcerer you could have Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration. Assume they're human and took Weapon Focus: Ray. Assume that they've also got 18 Dex.

So right there we've got a 5th level arcane caster. They've got: 1d20 + 3 to hit with that ray, for a range from 4-23 on their attack roll. Anything over 5 beats the Tarrasque's Touch AC, so any roll higher than 2 is a hit. The Tarrasque also has Spell Resistance 32, which is the big problem.

You've got +4 Spell Pen from feats. Assuming our caster is still 5th level, that means their roll to overcome is 1d20+9, for a maximum of 29, not good enough.

However, if they are 8th level, they get access to Assay Spell Resistance, which for our purposes amounts to an extra +10 to overcome SR on that crucial attack. At 8th level combined with that, we're up to 1d20+22 for the check to overcome, ranging from 23 to 42. A roll of 11 or higher succeeds. Bam. That's it.

All it takes to bring down the 3.5e Tarrasque is one properly-specced Wizard or Sorcerer with one 4th level spell, one 2nd level spell, one ludicrously low roll, and one slightly above average roll. Maybe a casting of Invisibility beforehand to get close enough. That one mid-level caster can encounter-kill the Tarrasque thanks to a broken spell and the beastie's 3 Int. As long as they've brought along a crowd to beat on the unconscious Tarrasque with an endless series of coup de grace attacks, which are all automatic hits and confirmed criticals. If you've got even a single martial character capable of dishing out damage in the mid-40s, every round is a potential instant death if the Tarrasque fails the Fort save.

disclaimer: it's 6:14 AM and I have no idea how stupid I am right now. But yes, theoretically you could kill the Tarrasque with one 8th level caster and a mob of Commoners with daggers and clubs. If you roll a 1 on the d4, it'll take a second casting of the ray.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:24:24 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 20, 2015, 07:04:38 am »

You need Wish to actually kill it as far as I remember, but yes, you can defeat it like that.

Here's another method.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 20, 2015, 07:09:48 am »

Immune to that spell.

There are spells that can trump the Tarresque but that isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:14:06 am by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 20, 2015, 11:30:39 am »

What edition, Sirus?
Call it 3.5. I'm guessing it's what Flying Dice was working off of, and it's the only edition I have easy access to monster stats for anyway.

@Flying Dice: See, this is why I ask the experts :P
I was knocking an idea around in my head for a one-shot "campaign" in which a Big Bad monster is approaching a city and the only available defenders are fairly low-leveled. My hope was that the verdict would be "doable, but difficult and at the cost of many characters' lives". I went with the tarrasque because I was under the impression that it was a potentially world-ending beastie.

So if the tarrasque can be so easily brought down, what might be a better candidate?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 20, 2015, 12:04:21 pm »

A continent-sized Nishruu.
Love, scriver~

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »

I was knocking an idea around in my head for a one-shot "campaign" in which a Big Bad monster is approaching a city and the only available defenders are fairly low-leveled. My hope was that the verdict would be "doable, but difficult and at the cost of many characters' lives".
I hope not to much effort needs to be put into character creation?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:37 pm »

The tarrasque has immunity to rays as an extraordinary ability.

Carapace (Ex)

The tarrasque’s armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated. Check for reflection before rolling to overcome the creature’s spell resistance.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 21, 2015, 10:01:28 pm »

I was knocking an idea around in my head for a one-shot "campaign" in which a Big Bad monster is approaching a city and the only available defenders are fairly low-leveled. My hope was that the verdict would be "doable, but difficult and at the cost of many characters' lives". I went with the tarrasque because I was under the impression that it was a potentially world-ending beastie.

So if the tarrasque can be so easily brought down, what might be a better candidate?
I sent you an idea for it by PM. I think it fits your criteria nicely. You may share it if you wish, or if you wish to keep it to yourself to spring on your players you can. That's why I sent it via PM. :P

For those of you wondering: It's just using the "increase a creature's hit dice" and refluffing a creature rules.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:54 pm »

The tarasque can also be defeated by having the cleric convince it to convert it to their religion.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 22, 2015, 03:34:15 am »

Better not be a cleric of Tempus or Garagos.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 22, 2015, 05:15:03 pm »

Found out that you give Trap EXP pretty much if the party knows it exists.

There is something that doesn't sit right with me for someone getting exp because they tripped a landmine but I guess I can't really complain.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 623