Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848926 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #795 on: August 26, 2015, 06:25:11 pm »

(I'm bored and spitballing for fun, no antagonism at all meant)

If I was GMing and the party got 10,000 GP at level 1...  I'd question my GMing choices :P
And if I was satisfied with the answers, I'd definitely share the story.

(Also, because I'm bored, a party of 4 level 1s would need a CR 9 encounter to gain 5 levels)

Though it's also hard to imagine a 10,000 gold bribe resolving an encounter.  More like a plot hook.  "The guard recognizes that you must be the infamous Silver Shadows who robbed the palace.  He doesn't even *consider* taking the money and becoming complicit, and instead runs screaming towards the guardhouse."

Okay okay, CR 9...
"The juvenile blue dragon (with a class level in something) happily accepts your money, then gleefully informs you that it expects the same amount, in a year and one day, or it will decimate the nearby village.  Daily, 1/10 of the people."

"The big evil wizard is uncharacteristically speechless as she stares at the pile of platinum.  'Uh... okay sure, I'll stop terrorizing the town.  I only really wanted recognition, and I guess I got it.  This is enough to set up a proper tower in town, set up a shop out of it, maybe rig some elections.  You're, uh, free to go.'" (I would actually give full XP for this, but it would take some RP to happen.  Like, they'd need to know the wizard's motivations)

"The Vrock looks at the money and grins, then begins cackling wildly.  It is still laughing hours later, while the bloody bag of coins lays discarded beside your cooling corpses."

"The governor asks no questions as he accepts the cash, though he does hand it to his accountant to verify.  'Actually, I've *always* felt like subhumans- er, demihumans, deserve equal protection!  I hereby grant you voting seats on the council, and promise to support your efforts for, hrm, equality and such.'"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 26, 2015, 06:40:13 pm »

There are plenty of monsters who are more then willing to be bribed or even fed over having an actual fight. Heck quite a few would rather let you go then have a fight.

At least if you read the monster manual entries and extra editions as closely as I do.

Xorns would be more then willing to avoid a fight for 10,000 gold for example. Goblins don't usually want to fight at all as it is as evil as they are... The same often applies to Kobolds and even Orcs aren't against negotiation.

Most DMs just tend to treat monsters as killing machines, heck even I do way too much.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 26, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »

I guess because if a creature or band is attacking, they must have a reason.  Presumably they think they have a reasonable chance at victory (even though in almost all cases, their best case scenario is killing a single hero or escaping with their lives).

So the negotiation is theoretically easy for the heroes, since they generally have the position of strength.  A moderate bribe can really help with that.  A dangerous situation is revealed as nigh-suicidal, but they're allowed to leave with their lives and some dignity/food money.

But if the heroes *aren't* an actual threat, a bribe doesn't work.  A nonlawful evil creature will just kill them anyway.  Other bandits will demand everything of interest, leaving the party alive (but perhaps naked and with a free rope).  A lawful evil creature may take advantage of their amazing money making skills (like my dragon example), confident that they aren't a threat.  An evil coward will still step on an ant, a neutral coward will still hunt a rabbit.  A good coward makes a short-lived bandit.

For a bribe to work without being backed by credible threat, the target needs to incapable of lying... or bluffing.  You can bribe Robin Hood (the chaotic good cartoony version) because he was never going to kill you anyway.  You can safely pay a devil for mercy...  but it's probably just after your soul, or future moneys.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 26, 2015, 09:48:34 pm »

There are plenty of monsters who are more then willing to be bribed or even fed over having an actual fight. Heck quite a few would rather let you go then have a fight.

At least if you read the monster manual entries and extra editions as closely as I do.

Xorns would be more then willing to avoid a fight for 10,000 gold for example. Goblins don't usually want to fight at all as it is as evil as they are... The same often applies to Kobolds and even Orcs aren't against negotiation.

Most DMs just tend to treat monsters as killing machines, heck even I do way too much.

They've played too many computer programs and forgotten that "Roleplaying game" wasn't originally a totally idiomatic phrase
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 27, 2015, 12:08:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

If the players are only killing everyone to try to scrape up exp... Obviously they haven't heard that actions have consequences... or aren't roleplaying.

Meaning you either have bad players or a bad DM :P

As others (including you  :P) have indicated, we don't live in the best of all possible worlds where all tabletop players are consummate actors and all DMs are bards straight out of a feudal court. DMs often get lazy and throw out combat encounters one after the other, because it's simple, straightfoward, and doesn't bore the rollplayers. A lot of players, even ones who enjoy heavy RP, will often approach encounters with a very video-gamey/wargamey attitude where pretty much anything that isn't obviously a conversational partner is a threat to be eliminated. Sometimes you'll even have attempts to weave in RP rolled over by the process of combat -- pause for example.

I was playing a monk in a 3.5 campaign. My basic premise was that the character had been found lost in a foreign forest by an aging, hermetic monk. She'd been impetuous and temperamental throughout her childhood, and her master had died before her training was truly complete, so she set off into the world with the ideals firmly fixed in her head, but not ingrained in her behavior. Lawful Good, you say, with a character who tends to go over the line when things turn violent and is too hasty to resort to violence in the first place? Surely you jest, FD! No. I wanted to play the long game with that character, to demonstrate her growth as a person, both moving closer to that old ideal and also growing into her own personality.

The very first combat, guess what happens? It's bloody and nasty. My character downed the main enemy early, but his minions nearly killed the rest of the party. After a long period of me flubbing my rolls while everyone else either lay unconscious and burning or ran away to heal, we eventually won. I announced that I was going to curb-stomp the downed leader on the raised rim around the altar, with the intent of doing one of the two things: if the roll missed, my character pulled the blow at the last second and pulled back her anger; if it connected, I'd play out mounting regrets and guilt over the few days or weeks in-story, and the next combat would play the character as much more hesitant to commit fully, only attacking nonlethally and such.

Instead, guess what happened? First thing said? I don't remember the exact words, but it was something like, "You're Lawful Good, your character can't do that." I don't have anything against whoever it was that said it, but it helps illustrate the issue.

--

Back to the main: It's multifaceted. When you deny experience for everything that isn't killing things, players are going to feel pressed to kill more things, even when they ordinarily wouldn't. You don't have to be a powergamer to enjoy the sense of progression and growth -- if you really want to run your political Bioware conversation simulator, I'd suggest not using a system that heavily focuses on combat (or tell people beforehand). When players have more reason to approach things with a kill 'em all attitude, DMs tend to figure that that's what players want, things to kill. RP ends up being discouraged in combat situations because it slows down an already time-consuming process for little apparent reason -- the DM probably didn't design that encounter so that you could talk through it, and you won't gain anything if you do. This whole mentality of rollplay and roleplay as separate and opposing entities has become ingrained in the collective mindset of TTRPGers, and it's thoroughly detrimental.

IMO we should be seeking to do the exact opposite of tearing roleplay and rollplay apart, we should be working to integrate them more fully, to give rewards to players for being good conversationalists, for arranging clever political maneuvers, for fooling people into giving the party what they want, &c., rather than saying "You only get experience and loot if you kill things, and if you try to kill things you're a bad roleplayer." It splits the base, makes it more difficult for parties to agree on things, and leads to frustration when the DM and players aren't on the same wavelength. I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong, but what this really comes off as to me is "I don't like players not RPing [and I don't recognize that different people enjoy different levels of RP], so I'm going to make it even more of a pain in the ass to RP!"

Sure, the guy who'll go LG Paladin with an asshole DM and play the role to the hilt even though he's missing out on all the rewards and undergoes constant arbitrary attempts to make him fall, that player will enjoy RPing regardless. The guy that made the face Bard and realizes that charming through situations means no exp and no loot? The girl that made the Barbarian who disarms traps by running through them yelling curses when you tell her that you don't get exp because you didn't use Disable Device? The amorphous blob that made the sneaky poisoner who discovers that they don't get any exp for killing a dungeon full of enemies by poisoning their water supply? They're going to be annoyed, and next campaign they're probably going to play a character who's good at killing things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 27, 2015, 12:16:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

Anyhow since this isn't a debate thread I've been holding back quite a bit... and will continue to do so. All in all this whole "Equivalent experience for non-experience" is entirely new to me and was only "suggested" in a 3.5 supplemental book and made a rule in Pathfinder.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:24:49 am by Neonivek »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 27, 2015, 02:26:15 am »

You guys need to stop thinking of XP as some set-in-stone constant of the universe. Go with your gut instinct when it's appropriate to award it, and how much. If you feel that fighting is the only "true" way of becoming more experienced and that skillfully wordsmithing your way into the dragon's good books or slinking through a bandit camp to assassinate the head honcho like a ghost is badwrongfun, then award XP accordingly. If you think the converse and that fighting is really pretty much pointless, do it that way.

Actually, here's probably the key point: Award it based on what the action ITSELF was worth, not the alternative, based on what you think.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 27, 2015, 02:34:01 am »

I already had players complain that I didn't reward exp for falling into 5-foot-deep pit traps. (they were delay traps in a somewhat easy encounter)

So... I can't just let bygones by bygones at this point :P

I am actually willing to stop playing pathfinder forever over this...

But yes I agree UXLZ, I personally don't think "falling for a trap" is worth anything because the player and character "did nothing"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:46:17 am by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:45 am »

... I frequently don't award experience for months at a time.  The I deliver a lump amount based on my measure of their individual performance as characters.  When my current group actually receives the exp. I've been building up for them in a week or two, they're going to be very surprised.

Edit:  Also, you guys are doing a fairly good job of policing yourselves here, but things are getting a little out of hand.  Let's put this particular subject to rest for a while please.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:11 am »

Did I miss something NFO? When XP should be rewarded seems like a fairly pertinent topic, or was it the 3.5 references?

I like the sound of your way, though.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 27, 2015, 05:43:50 am »

Did I miss something NFO? When XP should be rewarded seems like a fairly pertinent topic, or was it the 3.5 references?

I like the sound of your way, though.

Well this is more an experience topic then a debate topic :P

I think NFO is more soothsaying which is... kind of quite... apt at this point. I certainly don't predict clear skies if we continue this topic at this point.

There are several ways to give exp anyhow and indeed one of them is the end of session, arc, whenever, lump sum. Adjusting for what the players did is also a good way of doing it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:55 am »

Well, the discussion has been ongoing for some time, and I don't see anything specific here that indicates that a fight is brewing.  However, taking a break from a particular topic gives everyone time to digest what has been said, and they can then approach the topic at a later time with a clear head.

Mostly, I don't think people should get too entrenched in their positions on a subject as vague as experience points.  I've handled it in a ton of different ways over my term as DM and I don't really know that any one method was better than another, I just go with what works at the moment.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 27, 2015, 05:55:42 am »

I am only upset by the topic because suddenly I am being beholden to one interpretation. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:04 am »

And I was just discussing and listing examples because I miss actually playing...  :(
Maybe I should find an irc group, I want to do text this time but forum posts seem slow. Idk.
She/they

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 27, 2015, 06:13:04 am »

Forum posts are sorta slow, but they at least tend to be a steady enough trickle. ^_^

If you find an IRC group that works at a reasonable hour for GMT+10, tell me about it.
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 623