Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848922 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #915 on: October 01, 2015, 10:50:57 pm »

I see anti-paladins as paladins who are oathbreakers but end up somehow (since in 5e, paladins gain their power from their devotion, not from the god themselves) still having a spark of a paladin. Oathbreaker paladins are pretty much the same deal in 5e, but since smiting/detecting evil/good has been changed to celestials/fiends, it makes sense that the oathbreaker paladin gives his power bonuses to fiends and undead.

I'm rolling with an oathbreaker paladin in 5e who's a revenant (monster manual race from 4e) that is an oathbreaker paladin. Their spells are the same, but they have domain spells that reflect more evil aligned spells (hellish rebuke, inflict wounds, etc.) and thier channel divinity involves them frightening foes or dominating undead (which is fantastic actually).

They're designed to be paladins who break their oath, but I roll them like blackguards even though 5e's vengeance paladins are like that.

What I see them as are scions and champions of their vices (as 4e literally runs them as, and blackguards to me are essentially anti-paladins). They aren't champions of evil, but they're champions of mortality and vices, like the normal paladin isn't a champion of good but more of a champion of the gods and faith.

Since I roll with paladins almost all the time (or blackguards, whichever fits) I know a bit about each. And the fact that, once again, thier power comes from their zealous nature and their devotion to a cause (not always a diety) is what makes them a paladin or anti-paladin.

I remember that I had a paladin who actually was customized to actually smite chaos since he was allowing paladins to be of any alignment, which was hilarious (we smote the major opposite, neutrality being ignored) and his cause was justice by any means, but justice as he saw fit (eye for an eye, etc.).

Hope this throws some insight from my prospective in
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 01, 2015, 10:55:49 pm »

, like the normal paladin isn't a champion of good but more of a champion of the gods and faith.

Well that is more the case now. Originally they were champions of good and law and their devotion to their god coincided with that. If their god turned evil a Paladin wouldn't turn evil just to keep worshipping him.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 01, 2015, 11:02:18 pm »

Yah, previous editions treated the Paladin as being beholden to the ideals of good and law, hence the paladin's code, generally speaking they aren't supposed to be directly aligned with the gods at all.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 01, 2015, 11:06:46 pm »

3.5 didn't though.  The variant versions, including chaotic ones, are core.

A paladin who breaks their oath should become a blackguard or other class, not a paladin of an opposing alignment.  They've failed in their commitment.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 01, 2015, 11:45:50 pm »

3.5 didn't though.  The variant versions, including chaotic ones, are core.

A paladin who breaks their oath should become a blackguard or other class, not a paladin of an opposing alignment.  They've failed in their commitment.

That is quite true. Though I assume you mean break their oath and go evil.

I kind of like Blackguards because in many ways they are kind of the Champions of Lost Faith. They were good but found it so utterly hopeless that they want to crush it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 02, 2015, 01:34:08 am »

Fakedit:
Nope Rolan, anti-paladins are a thing since 3.0 (and kinda before, but not really), they were initially a prestige class, then WotC decided to make them a main class (oh how I hate the class bloat.)
I don't doubt the 3.0 thing, but they aren't in the openSRD except as the (slightly different) Paladin of Slaughter.
Unless they were republished in a 3.5 book, I'd say they were supplanted by the 3 variant paladin classes which are in the 3.5 openSRD.  Which I assume are in the 3.5 Players Handbook, but I really don't know...

Of course a lot of 3.0 content can be used in 3.5 (took me forever to realize that the Book of Vile Darkness was 3.0.  And maybe the BoExaltedDeeds, but maybe not?? whatever).  It ought to be discouraged when there is a close 3.5 equivalent, though, to be considered an update.

I think the Blackguard was traditionally also referred to as an anti-paladin

This may be what is meant
Noooo no no, Blackguard is a specific thing which is ACTUALLY the opposite of a paladin.  Paladin of Slaughter, or "anti-paladin" as it's called, is just a paladin with a different alignment.  A blackguard is one who has forsaken alignment.  Paladins who fall can get bonuses for becoming blackguards, but I think technically anyone can do it.

It's kinda like a druid, but you're not championing the world.  You're just fed up with alignment and basically serve your self.  Some of the interesting characters in our campaign were blackguards.

You're thinking of the Greyguard from Heroes of Horror
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 02, 2015, 01:51:55 am »

Ehh...  Grey guards are bent but not broken.  They still fight for the same ideals, they just take a darker road to do so.  For one thing, the lore says that their organizations secretly condone their actions.  They're also (as far as I recall) still bound by much of their former code, but it relaxes as they advance as grey guards and their organization trusts them more.

That's different from the absolute disillusionment which drives a paladin, to abandon all codes and principles and become a blackguard.  A blackguard is a broken person, driven to evil by spite and the pain of disillusionment.  (Even if they were already evil)

Heh...  Incursion (dnd 3.5 roguelike) has a god whose followers think they're lawful good, but the god is actually one of tyranny.  I'm not even sure if the god knows he's evil.  Thanks to dnd cosmology, these followers get twisted towards evil over time.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 04, 2015, 02:58:34 am »

This weeks' session was pretty weak.  Party leader shorted out his brain and couldn't concentrate, under other circumstances I could work around that, but he's the commanding officer and the primary vessel of the prophecy, so he needs to be active.  Thief girl decided to take up an offer for some 'playtime' from a female pirate captain who happens to be a fairly major player in the upcoming 'Ring Sea' arc, so at the very least the party should have less trouble assembling a crew for their fairly soon (in about three months game time) to be built transport/combat ship.

Fun fact about my campaign no. 2: Dragons on this world have been affected by the world's proximity to the elemental planes, and have taken on attribute more closely associated with those planes, so normal chromatic and metallic dragons don't exist here.  Instead dragons are born with an elemental affinity and their appearance and abilities are based on those affinities.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 04, 2015, 11:18:42 am »

So Today I found out Aasimar can be born in human families, and it now makes sense for my character's brother to be so distant to everyone else in his family because he knows he doesn't belong and isn't one of them.

He's a kineticist, so things are going to be hilarious with him rolling about and beating the shit out of people at a distance with his kinetic blasts
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 04, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »

Me and my friends just played the most bootlegginist homebrew game yesterday(or I guess this morning)

Basically, the player characters were, in order of most useful to least: an Asshole, a Loser(me), Gay, and a rich douchenozzle.  The Loser was a wimpy magey type, with a basic fire, lighting, and ice spell.  The douchenozzle was a rich, roguey type that could throw knives and pickpocket.  He also had a horse and like a hundred gold.  The Gay was... uhh... gay.  He had a dildo as a weapon and was kinda magey but had no spells.  The asshole was super swole, and could do SHITTONS of damage.  However, he was cursed in that he automatically does an intimidate check everytime he talked with someone.  Also, if he touched something, there was a 1 in 6 chance that it would EXPLODE.  Anyway, the plot was as follows: There were 2 gods, Young G and S.G.  Young G wanted us to spread his word in a tiny podunk town ruled by S.G. and teleported us all there.  First thing that happens is that some guy drags a wench into a temple for a sermon and after a while we follow him in.  There were some wenches, a quite dapper man, the bad guy with his personal wench, and the minister doing the sermon.  Douchenozzle throws a coin at the minister and everyone thinks he's a pretentious dick.  Asshole accidentally scares everyone but the bad guy and the minister with an intimidation roll.  Bad guy and minister give no fucks.

S.G. is getting irritated that we're interrupting his sermon, but I(loser) decide that we need to get their attention so I shoot lighting up into the air.  APPARENTLY S.G. got pissed and blew us out of the temple with a gust of wind.  We couldn't get in, so we go around the back and Asshole punches the SHIT out of the wall and it explodes.  We find a locked door.  Repeat previous action.  The exploding door knocks out the minister and the bad guy's wench, and S.G. gets PISSED.  Bad guy turns into a giant monster and we start combat.  Gay decides to fuck the unconcious minister(to death I might add), while me and Asshole fight the monster.  Monster dies and we much around the town a bit and Gay gets a spell to open and close doors.  We meet up with the dapper guy and he wants to join the party, while the DM none too subtly hints that we were supposed to use him to get through the locked door, and then Asshole decides to shake his hand.  Cue explosion.

We then head to the beach, where Douchenozzle and Asshole scare off a bunch of kids and one of them walks on an invisible thing in the water.  I freeze him in place and everyone except douchey goes over to it.  Walk down a few invisible staircases and come to a ghost door and ghost wall.  I walk through it, get hit and freeze it open.  Gay hits the wall with a dildo and does nothing.  Asshole explodes door and wall after a few tries.  Douchenozzle kills a random kid to see if his ghost appears(it does), and then it was like 4am and we were just like EEEEEEUUUUUUGH.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 05, 2015, 09:53:13 pm »

She/they

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:09 pm »

Something odd I've noticed while looking through some of the racial-based Pathfinder Splatbooks, as well as the bestiaries.

Creature typings and subtypings have their abilities split in two groups: Features and Traits. Features require racial hit-dice in order for a creature to benefit from them. Traits are universal qualities. Both are subject to change on a creature-by-creature basis.

For some reason, armour and weapon proficiencies are a trait, and not a feature. Most only get simple weapon proficiency, so it doesn't matter for most races, as almost all classes give simple-weapon proficiencies anyways. However, the outsider subtype has full martial proficiency. There are more than a few playable outsider races.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 11, 2015, 05:53:42 pm »

Game got pretty heavily derailed last night, but on the plus side Meme Zod, the perfect foil to Superman, was created so I guess that's okay.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 13, 2015, 10:48:52 am »

I did a thing about a week ago.

I am now doing another thing today, hopefully I don't get murdered by my party members.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 623