Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845610 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #930 on: October 14, 2015, 06:24:31 am »

Yeah, as my character is the leader of our adventuring party, I make sure I enforce the alignment code and specifically exclude certain party members from any activities that are questionable. For example, when we murdered a large number of lawful good dwarven city guards aiding a prison break, I made sure our lawful good cleric and monk were busy at their respective temples. When we were visiting the high temple of a lawful good deity in another town to have a conversation with an angel, I made sure our chaotic evil gnome fighter was given spending money and a list of books to hunt down for his girlfriend in the market that day.

Also, the one thing I do above all else is make my best effort to ensure party loot is split evenly. That way nobody gets sore about being overlooked when we divide up the blood-soaked coins. I've found in the past that being that guy who always tries to steal loot from his other party members is a great way to get yourself labelled as the expendable one.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 15, 2015, 04:25:42 am »

So right now I'm kicking around a 'just for fun' character idea, specifically, I'm thinking of creating a d20 future/modern mecha pilot who gets trapped (along with his mecha) in the Forgotten Realms.  This idea came up when one of my long- time (13 years now) players suggested a 'meta-plot' for a series of campaigns about destabilizing and eventually breaking the hell out of that setting.

All in all it seems very playable (in spite of d20 future/modern characters being abysmally weak in almost every respect by D&D standards), and would be an interesting lead-in to the above mentioned 'meta-plot' series of campaigns.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 16, 2015, 09:22:14 pm »

Ok, in the Eberron campaign setting, it's stated that the Lord of Blades considers itself male (page 190 of the original 3.5e campaign book), but doesn't that run directly counter to it's radically construct-supremacist philosophy?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 17, 2015, 02:01:28 am »

It just has a robo-dong.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 17, 2015, 02:18:45 am »

Ok, in the Eberron campaign setting, it's stated that the Lord of Blades considers itself male (page 190 of the original 3.5e campaign book), but doesn't that run directly counter to it's radically construct-supremacist philosophy?

Ok... and if you were born into slavery and given a name like "Slavey" that everyone called you and that even you call yourself.

If you were suddenly free would you change your name? Maybe... but you can obviously think of a few people who would keep it.

Besides it is less that he considers himself male so much that he considers himself a masculine entity denoting the use of "he"... then literally being a biological male... But which is easier to understand? He considers himself male? Or he considers his persona to be an engendered male one?

It is quite common in fiction for genderless beings to take on engendered personas. The Gems from Steven Universe, Pinatas from Viva Pinata, Smurfs, The Robot Masters from the Megaman series.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 17, 2015, 05:29:56 am »

The D&D 5e campaign I'm about to join includes a gay penguin and a human ex-cleric called Hardo Ferkids.

Fuck.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 17, 2015, 05:32:05 am »

The D&D 5e campaign I'm about to join includes a gay penguin and a human ex-cleric called Hardo Ferkids.

Fuck.

Dang... Gay Penguin wasn't so bad, just let people play what they want. (Says me the guy who wanted to play a monkey and a Horse Sorcerer before)

But Hardon... RUN!!! RUN FASTER!!!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »

Why are plant creatures (at least in 3e/3.5e) immune to poison? That doesn't make sense to me? Haven't they ever heard of Agent Orange? or Roundup? are these creatures all products of Monsanto?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 18, 2015, 05:57:44 pm »

I would imagine most poisons aren't herbicides. Having a poison that congeals the blood won't do much if you don't have blood, etc.

The casualty of being forced to sum all poisons under one effect. Doubtless some supplement somewhere has a poison that is noted to kill plants.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 18, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »

Big session.

So for starters, I went to my own funeral (and I wasn't late, yay!) and my character's brother joined.

So we head to Skire (which is literally Ireland and Scotland mixed to one island) and we followed the trail of our team's machinesmith (who's an android and the only one made) "father". We end up in a town where my character, who cannot sleep and feels compelled to head downstairs of the inn, meets a dwarf named Visillie (who has a thick Russian accent) and fills me in on details and agrees to help me and my party if we plan to travel into the mountains, after he says it's very dangerous. He also tells me of a half elf who has answers, so I wake up the android and ask him to come with me as I go to explain to him about what I was told.

Unfortunately, so is the companion of that one guy (the one who likes breaking the game) and she follows us, and she has tendencies to go chaotic evil when elves are involved and she refused to listen to me because he controls her (and nothing can make me stop her, so I have a loose trigger following me. Did I mention she hates elves to the point they make her go instantly chaotic evil and we're to talk to a half-elf she just passed by and tried to drain intelligence on? Yeah...)

So we eventually (after that one guy threatens to blow everyone up) a good cop/bad cop scenario, we convince the half-elf to cooperate and he gives us information. We get some rest, and the party goes to this big ass cave that leads to three things:

A very large room lined with brass (a lot of it), a train that is much more advanced than before (detect magic sees it as having some sort of electric magic running on the train and the rails, and there are glass balls that have this magic too that are shining bright lights), and a fuck ton of paper scattered across the room (a detection of magic shows they have some sort of magic on them that looks like the beginnings of a spell being cast, but it's not casting anything).

We hop on the train and we are greeted with a very rapture-esque message recorded into the system. We then see a big ass gate with dead, frozen and slightly melted people Grasping onto it. The magic that we saw earlier was strong here, and the air tasted coppery.

We break the gate and find the town of Highrock and a sign that says "And so the LAMBS were lead to slaughter", and the sign directs us to LAMBS.

We search the town and my character finds Visillie again and flies up to him. Since no one flies with me, they think I'm crazy (and that one guy won't stop complaining at this time about how stupid we are as a party, plus how I'm crazy and I shouldn't be seeing ghosts (as he thinks it to be) because of his cohort). He shows me a room where I'm given a vision of a halfling getting a bullet to the head as he's blamed for something. I find a diary explaining about LAMBS (essentially, they were researching on how to regain and surpass knowledge lost from our world's version of Rome/Atlantis (called Arcaia), and they tested the limits in hopes of making magic and machine aid one another).

We then hop aboard a train after looking at the android's creator's house and proceeded to LAMBS, where his father speaks to us from a metal box. He tells us we won't interfere with his research and sends glowing zombies (similar to glowing ones in fallout) and we slaughter them. We then find what was called an Arcane Reactor, which was leaking this blue mist all over. The reactor also radiated more magical power than these artifacts we've been hunting that are so strong, it's almost impossible to NOT notice it (and since these artifacts are said to, when gathered and worn, cause the wearer to ascend into godhood, they're VERY powerful).

We do some shit and get through these chambers, but the party leaves me behind because they don't notice the chamber filling up with the blue mist again. I got lucky and made it back and found another path, leading to an alternate room, where Visillie was waving me down. How he got there, I don't know, but I ended up getting to him by rerouting the mist and he shows me another body who was apparently the head scientist here. He had the code we needed for the train to work again, and Visillie tells me about himself; how he became a ginetic experiment, but escaped before they could kill him or make him a monster. He tells me then, that Orodini, the android's creator, must be killed (I now realized I have my own Victor Reznov at this time).

Meanwhile, the others walk into the bomb testing lab, and they get a vision of a couple of scientists standing at the window they're near (which upon closer inspection, has no glass now) and watch as this bright white light envelops them, as they hear the words echo "I have become death, destroyer of worlds." With detect magic, the mages now realize the aura of the magic they didn't fully know about before is REALLY strong here, and that one guy keeps it to himself about it and bitches about it the entire time and NOT ONCE mentions it until I tell him that he didn't say anything in character. When he does, he metagames the fuck out of it and says its nuclear radiation and will cause us o grow tumours and shit.

We reunite, and because everyone has been being a dick to me, I don't tell them anything and tell them I got the code (not how, not anything). We go deeper and see several visions of a child and a woman walking into various surgery rooms and watch as these scientists talk. The last room shows a soldier talking to two scientists as he says "he killed them both... His wife and his child..." As we hear the words "I've... Got no strings... To hold me down..." And then in reality, we hear the ending: "I've got no strings... On me..." And we fight a being made ENTIRELY out of magic. My kineticist is useless here since all of his abilities deal fire damage (I even went super sayain here, per say, and I did nothing)

Eventually, after futile attempt after futile attempt, Visillie appears and opens this door that the android claims was locked, and I run through, find the being's real body, and destroy it with fire. The party then questions me on how I phased through a door, but I said it was open. They ignore me and I tell them off.

Our session then ended as we approached the next station as we watched the nations, all of them with technology we've seen in LAMBS but everywhere, and watching it all get destroyed in a flash as nation after nation is destroyed in a volley of world ending arcane blasts.

So in a nutshell: magic nukes, fallout+bioshock baby, psycho magic pinnochio, and watching terminator in D&D
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 19, 2015, 12:10:09 am »

Why are plant creatures (at least in 3e/3.5e) immune to poison? That doesn't make sense to me? Haven't they ever heard of Agent Orange? or Roundup? are these creatures all products of Monsanto?

I would imagine most poisons aren't herbicides. Having a poison that congeals the blood won't do much if you don't have blood, etc.

The casualty of being forced to sum all poisons under one effect. Doubtless some supplement somewhere has a poison that is noted to kill plants.

It is specifically noted in the entry that explains the plant's immunity to poison that poisons that specifically target (or include) plants are A-OK.

Plants sort of lack many of the functions that make most poisons deadly.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 19, 2015, 12:23:05 am »

I had a great idea for an antihero D&D campaign arc; maybe one of you can use it.

Basically, there's this oppressive kingdom that's propped up by the lawful-evil baatezu in a They Live/The Matrix-esque fashion, except maybe not quite as secretive. The PCs get involved with the resistance, but the resistance is run by the chaotic-evil tanar-ri, and their plan to topple the regime consists mostly of a combination of mass mayhem (arson, ghoul/zombie/vampire outbreaks, that sort of thing), destruction of critical infrastructure, and doing things like gorily assassinating a regime lacky while he tries to convince the pesants that the latest oppressive measure is for their protection and screaming "no one can protect you!" as they toss that lackey's severed head into the assembled crowd.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 19, 2015, 01:02:09 am »

psycho magic pinnochio
Arguably a complete Avengers rip-off too.

Actually, wasn't there one of those in an old Ravenloft adventure?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 19, 2015, 09:54:02 am »

The guy looked like the upper half of doctor Manhattan for reference. And I'm pretty sure he has no idea of any of that.

Still, it's pretty awesome. Plus, I have my own version of Reznov helping me. I'm going to laugh if it ends the same way where I think I see Visillie killing Orodini and in truth, it's just me
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 623