Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845663 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1321 on: January 20, 2016, 10:10:30 pm »

I once had a party enter a bar, while being entertained by dwarves. There was an orgy at some point. Since this was all over the internet, cybersex was involved, and the game was called.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 21, 2016, 02:11:34 am »

47.) Floor collapse
48.) Wall collapse

EDIT:
49.) Wall slides into place behind you, preventing retreat
50.) Graffiti scratched on the walls

EDIT:
Regarding the idea of wizards possibly being overpowered: It occurs to me that this really depends on the DM, and in particular how the DM handles resting and downtime. As long as it's not treated like a videogame where you can rest in the middle of hostile territory and/or commute to and from your assault on the dungeon they shouldn't be too powerful. I think a big issue is that their main balancing factor is so often handwaved away.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:51:56 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 21, 2016, 07:37:27 am »

I know that if the party is at a low level Wizards-type enemies are a LOT more powerful then they seem because the party has yet to develop the HP buffer to survive even the attrition damage.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 21, 2016, 08:07:06 am »

51.) Cuddly insects try to steal your cutlery.

52.) The further you go into the cave, the larger the nearby cave creatures seem to be getting.

53.) The walls of the cave begin to beat with an intense samba rhythm.

54.) You run upon a group of adventurers that are a mirror version of the party going the other way. Good is Evil and Evil is Good. If pricked or attacked, they explode violently like balloons. You fear for your sanity.

55.) Hobgoblin square dancing. They invite the party to join in on the fun.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 21, 2016, 08:20:39 am »

Once you reach a certain level, a wizard can commute to and from a dungeon, though. That's pretty much what the Teleport line of spells are for. So you bring the party along to deal with random encounters on the journey, find the big boss and Teleport away in retreat, rest until you're fully prepared and then Teleport back in to ruin his day. Adventuring becomes a day job, and you commute back home whenever you're finished.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 21, 2016, 08:29:35 am »

Once you reach a certain level, a wizard can commute to and from a dungeon, though. That's pretty much what the Teleport line of spells are for. So you bring the party along to deal with random encounters on the journey, find the big boss and Teleport away in retreat, rest until you're fully prepared and then Teleport back in to ruin his day. Adventuring becomes a day job, and you commute back home whenever you're finished.

A lot of places are going to lock you down by preventing that sort of business, though. Anti-teleport magics are pretty standard in fantasy settings.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 21, 2016, 08:44:43 am »

Aside from DM fiat 'nope, doesn't work because of some kind of plot device,' you've got extraplanar adventures where a Plane Shift functions pretty much the same, or locations that are subject to spells such as 7th level Teleport Trap or 8th level Dimensional Lock. Of course, both of these effects are subject to good old level 3 Dispel Magic. Any Wizard worth his spellbook should have detected the presence of those spells and countered them long before they're a problem.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 21, 2016, 08:48:21 am »

Aside from DM fiat 'nope, doesn't work because of some kind of plot device,' you've got extraplanar adventures where a Plane Shift functions pretty much the same, or locations that are subject to spells such as 7th level Teleport Trap or 8th level Dimensional Lock. Of course, both of these effects are subject to good old level 3 Dispel Magic. Any Wizard worth his spellbook should have detected the presence of those spells and countered them long before they're a problem.

I tell players at the start of every campaign that the overwhelming majority of "dungeons" are magical areas where stuff like this just doesn't work.

Either that or disappearing for six hours let's them organise in a way you just aren't expecting.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 21, 2016, 08:58:58 am »

Then you're just handwaving away the issue? Disappointing. At the end of the day, Rule 0 gets used because the DM can't handle players using core game rules as written. Why not simply ban the teleportation school of magic too? Or say that nobody's allowed to play a spellcaster? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but every table's different. At our table, we're all 100% for playing the game within the written rules. The DM rolls his dice in the open, and if that means your character eats a critical when they're on low hp, you'd better have prepared your backup PC. By the same token, if there's a class feature that's part of your character's build, it's considered bad form to say you're banning it simply because it makes winning easier.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 21, 2016, 09:01:32 am »

because it makes winning easier.

::)

Play how you like but I think that's showed why your mindset is completely and utterly wrong. At least to the vast majority of groups.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 21, 2016, 09:08:31 am »

Then you're just handwaving away the issue? Disappointing. At the end of the day, Rule 0 gets used because the DM can't handle players using core game rules as written. Why not simply ban the teleportation school of magic too? Or say that nobody's allowed to play a spellcaster? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but every table's different. At our table, we're all 100% for playing the game within the written rules. The DM rolls his dice in the open, and if that means your character eats a critical when they're on low hp, you'd better have prepared your backup PC. By the same token, if there's a class feature that's part of your character's build, it's considered bad form to say you're banning it simply because it makes winning easier.

Because they are VERY useful and perfectly viable... until players try to cheap their way through it.

And Teleport does have some pretty firmly established counters such as "You teleported into a wall" that would be punishing if the DM used. Often just saying "For some reason, you do not know of, you cannot seem to teleport to that location as if it is cut off" instead of "It looks like they remodeled and your standing in a wall"

It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Basically it is like the Scrying spells. If used standardly they are perfectly fine. Once you try to talk to the main villain's Ex-Girlfriend and then Scry and die the final boss... THEN your approaching the area where the DM has to go "No, the villain is in an anti-scry field.

---

That and... Who do you think you are? Some nobodies?

EVERYONE should know who you are if your teleporting everywhere and using Scry and die tactics. If a villain doesn't have a way to stop you from Scrying or teleporting right up to them, they are probably not going to do anything until they do.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:12:19 am by Neonivek »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:32 am »

It probably depends on the group. Personally, I like the story side of the game much more than the rules crunching.
But if Jimmy likes playing rules as written 100% and exploiting them all the way.... it is a viable way to play the game, as long as everyone in the group agrees on it. Although I imagine it is not the most common school of thought considering comments here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 21, 2016, 09:20:38 am »

It probably depends on the group. Personally, I like the story side of the game much more than the rules crunching.
But if Jimmy likes playing rules as written 100% and exploiting them all the way.... it is a viable way to play the game, as long as everyone in the group agrees on it. Although I imagine it is not the most common school of thought considering comments here.

It is because it can get really cheap and very anticlimactic. Kind of destroying the story aspect immediately.

"And then the heroes were presented with a horror beyond any they have ever experienced before, a entity that is beyond good and beyond evil a cosmic horror that melts the very fabric of space and time... and he was just kind of destroyed between meals by the wizard. Ok everyone go back to sleep Captain Cheapo Wizard destroyed another adventure"

Is the worst case scenario :P

---

But that is really the worst case...

I know a lot of DMs over bar things (Wish being a HUGE one). Yet all I am saying is that there is a reason why a DM would not want to ban teleport but ban the "Teleport to a place you only heard of" strategy to send nukes into the "Bowels of Orcus"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:27:30 am by Neonivek »

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:34 am »

It is because it can get really cheap and very anticlimactic. Kind of destroying the story aspect immediately.

"And then the heroes were presented with a horror beyond any they have ever experienced before, a entity that is beyond good and beyond evil a cosmic horror that melts the very fabric of space and time... and he was just kind of destroyed between meals by the wizard. Ok everyone go back to sleep Captain Cheapo Wizard destroyed another adventure"

Is the worst case scenario :P

Yeah, if players start to do cheese stuff I tend to just get clever with them.

"Oh, you're all going drinking? That's great. Hey, wizzard, roll me a Wisdom check. You got under 20? Okay. No, I didn't write anything down, don't worry about it."

And then everyone in an inn finds out from the wizzard how clever and amazing he is because he used this one trick that evil bosses hate. By the time they're awake, everyone in the town knows about their adventures and then their legend spreads throughout the lands. Especially their strategies.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 623