Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849256 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1425 on: January 24, 2016, 02:25:54 pm »

I meant 'are the monsters themselves formulaic?'.

That was starting to become an issue even in 3e. With many stats being determined, via a one-size-fits-all formula, from other stats of questionable relevance, so that - for example - any two creatures with the same hd and constitution score will have the same exact save dc for any breath weapon they may have (despite any differences they may have and even of one has a dex score of 1 and can barely aim it's weapon), and giants receive skill points from hit dice meant to represent sheer immensity.
There are formulas for things like DCs, but they're never called out, IIRC. You are free to disregard them.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 24, 2016, 07:06:16 pm »

Is it against the rules for a ranger to ready an action to fire through a door once it is opened, essentially gaining a surprise round that only he can act in?

Our ranger had been doing it all session, and always killed at least one enemy. Then he almost always goes first and clears the rest of the room because even when he rolls a one, his initiative will be among the highest of the party.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 24, 2016, 07:08:42 pm »

I'm not sure if it's allowed, but if the DM and everyone else are fine with it..
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »

There was an argument about it. As I mentioned, almost all the kills were his.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 24, 2016, 07:13:18 pm »

I don't know if it's legal, but I'd handle it as giving the entire party a surprise round.  And if they burst into 2-3 empty rooms that way, it stops working unless they actually detect enemies on the other side first.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:47 pm »

The GM just needs to stop having enemies behind the door.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 24, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »

The GM just needs to stop having enemies behind the door.

Instead, have the enemy be the door
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:52 pm »

The door requires ample amounts of shoving, but just before the last blow it opens and the party falls into an abyss.
Black lives matter.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 24, 2016, 07:29:19 pm »

Behind one door is a pile of gold and magic items, and behind the other two are goat demons.
Make your choice wisely!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: January 24, 2016, 07:29:47 pm »

Mimics, is there any problem they can't solve?
Alternatively, have a band of kobolds (or other high-listen ranged units) waiting on the other side of the door with a readied action to fire.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: January 24, 2016, 07:30:34 pm »

It's an adventure path. Not the DM's fault that every door is shut. We're retaking an entire citadel by ourselves, and apparently no-one is supposed to care that we aren't subtle.

More than a few APs are like that, unfortunately. Despite being in areas completely filled to the brim with hostiles, some APs even note that leaving to rest and heal has no effect on the enemy's placement or tactics.

Then there's other like Giantslayer, that literally throw dozens of waves of enemies at you without you even leaving the immediate area. Or the DM misinterpreted what it meant by 'the city is under siege by hundreds of orcs'. But I don't know about that first-hand; I heard about that from another group, who promptly rage-quit on that DM.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:38 pm »

So basically you're playing Rainbow Six in D&D?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: January 24, 2016, 09:03:45 pm »

It's an adventure path. Not the DM's fault that every door is shut. We're retaking an entire citadel by ourselves, and apparently no-one is supposed to care that we aren't subtle.

More than a few APs are like that, unfortunately. Despite being in areas completely filled to the brim with hostiles, some APs even note that leaving to rest and heal has no effect on the enemy's placement or tactics.

That's badly written. I blame videogames.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:03 pm »

Pathfinder Adventure Paths are, from what I understand, written assuming that the playing group is made of four people with little to no experience with tabletop games.

Still more than a few curveballs from time to time though. There was one I played where at level two, we had important perception checks we missed because the DCs were higher than 30. Or in this campaign, there was an area with swarms immune to physical attacks, took half damage from magic, and had spell-resistance 20. We were level 6. That's 14 or higher on the die for a full-spellcaster that is not optimized, or more for classes that do not treat all their class-levels as caster-levels, such as the Ranger or Paladin.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 24, 2016, 09:14:39 pm »

Swarms are cool, but with spell resistance??
I guess you're supposed to use torches and alchemist fire?
Or wait, spell resistance doesn't help against - no nevermind, it does protect against area of effect evocation (SOMEHOW!?).  Just as weird as evasion...  I guess.  But more effective than antimagic in that regard O_o
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 623