Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849273 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

So there's a new 5e adventure scheduled for September.

[urlhttp://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/03/storm-kings-thunder-explained-video-transcription/]A summary of the announcement.[/url]

It's giant themed, with apparently the potential to become a giant yourself, as well as rune magic becoming an official thing.

The bit that really caught me was what's queued up after - another monster book, with both new monsters and a load of lore on some of the classics apparently, which should be cool :)
Runepreist confirmed.

Now I wonder when we'll get a full psion...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Urgh. The psion UA thing they released was unbalanced like hell.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

My players have just received a quest hook to go explore the ruins of an ancient dwarven outpost called Koganusân.

That's right, motherfuckers. Welcome to Boatmurdered.
HehehehehehehahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHA*hack**cough*  Hairball.

Ohhh boy.  Tell usssss.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In other news, last night's session marks the first PC death of the campaign!

To preface the story, I'd warned the PCs that there would be an optional area in each dungeon that would come after the main quest was complete. This area would contain higher than normal challenges, with corresponding higher levels of loot.

So they successfully slay the orc barbarian leading the local band of raiders after tracking him to his stronghold at a ruined castle. The group discovers a room with a pool of water that descends into darkness, the water covered in filth and reeking of putrescence.

At this stage three of the PCs have reached level 2, but one of them missed half the sessions and is still level 1. This level 1 character also happens to be an Undine Druid, and able to breathe underwater.

So the group decides it's a smart idea to send the lowest level party member ahead to scout this underwater passage. The Druid successfully makes their save vs. Bog Rot in the water, swims 300 ft. down the tunnel and finds an underground pocket of air. They rise up and get the description that the room is full of moisture and crumbling in ruin. I draw the map for them at this time as a subtle hint that stuff will probably happen. They decide to exit the water, move forward on their own, and promptly trigger the CR 3 falling bricks trap for 4d6 damage.

I'd planned this so that even if a person got nailed by the trap, the average damage might drop them negative but still be possible to survive. Sadly, without anyone else there, they bled out in three rounds.

Ah well, they'll remember not to split the party next time!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

They split the party, you split their skulls.
Black lives matter.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

This Boatmurdered?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope, Boatmurdered is going to be the next few months of gameplay. This is the tail end of the group's very first quest as level 1 characters. I expect Boatmurdered will get them to about level 5 total.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This Boatmurdered?
I forgot that was mentioned.

It kinda reminded me that I made an entire campaign surrounding a party going to a mountainhome that was taken by undead with a very OP necromancer residing inside. It thus started a 2+ year game that went through a couple hiatuses due to things like rehab nad such, but it was all on bay12 (I can link it if you're willing to read the buttload of pages). The coolest part of this was I took the dungeon and laid it out like the real fortress it was based off of. The fort? Necrothreat.

It ended with a climatic battle against the necromancer who gained powers from a demon lord to control living shadows. He increased that power farther by using them to inhabit corpses or living things (the former more than the latter). He caused the NPC party member that was a space marine to go batshit insane, indirectly killed a party member, killed one in that combat, and set forth perhaps some of the most epic battles and combats I have ever seen. No where else does a paladin get swallowed by an undead Wurm only to cast turn undead inside its stomach, blowing the monster up from the inside, and the undead horror gets back up with most of his body severed from its head and crushing a party member.

Also, I had all party members be copied in secret by the shadow monsters that the necromancer created as his basic footmen (who were based on DF's boogeymen) and all party members who were slain on the way there were revived and fought at some point in the journey (one bieng a recurring enemy and acting as the field marshal of the shadow and undead army). So the last few battles ended up being against the necromancer's perfection of melding his necromancy with his shadow magic, where he forced the soul out of a body and used its prowess as shadow magic to bolster the body and strengthen it, and this process left an empty shell of a body with a shadow monster inside it, and were literally called Husks, and they had a lot of HP, hit like a truck, and decent defences (they also were immune to stun and prone, but took extra damage instead of getting the debuff). I tried to show them that the shadow monster inside of them didn't fully inhabit the body by having the husks show no signs of the bloodied status and didn't flinch or show any signs of pain on hits and heavy damage. Instead, I got party members destroying entire rooms to kill them.

One of the last battles was a "boss rush" where I split the party member and had them fight party members that they had some sort of significance with (except two, who fought a guy who died in the first encounter) and it lead to a vampire kid pulling a general grevious attack, a confusing maze that took longer than it should, and a guy who used his own head as a flail.

The battle with the necromancer started with party members who, though died, were coming back due to one guy wanting a second chance at his character due to him dying from a VERY bullshit reason, and the other was a rejoining character, along with the clones of the party members who were there PLUS the necromancer. This became one of the most epic fights I have ever seen. The party wizard uses his AOE to the best of his ability and not only knocks the necromancer into magma but whittled down the shadow copies of the party members enough that killing them was a breeze. Two bodies remained when defeated, and in their minds, their god/goddess gave them a chance at redemption; the avenger of Bahamut and the Vryloka Vampire of The Red Witch rose up again and fought the necormancer as he, in a shell made of living shadows, pulls himself out of the magma and forms the second part of the fight: The Shadow Giant. He got a huge boost in HP, some extra attacks and a bonus to some defences, and reach. The party fought him with all they had, and then before the second round was done, his third form started; the shadow colossus. Size huge now, attacks multiple times (3 times now), almost triple his starting HP as the regular necromancer, and his recharge power he never got to use that had the chance to knock party members prone and slide them towards the magma. The party's berserker drops his ultimate attack and crits on his first swing that did 4d12+11 damage, which meant it maximized (4e was weird like that...) and added an extra 1d12+1d8 damage. He then swings again with his daily power that lets him swing twice for 3d12+11 damage. By the end of it, he did 200+ damage, and HE DID NOT KILL THE SHADOW COLOSSUS. Instead, the necromancer put up his final form; the shadow demon form. He grew wings, had about 700hp (this is still the third round and thats total HP, adding about 200 or so hp every form), had amazing defences (nothing under 24), was a 5x5 monster at this point, and the party could physically feel that this still wasn't the peak of his power, even though his influence (which spanned so far that it now affected the place the party started in, which was over a month's travel away) seemed to leave the fortress now. The party fought hard, and the shadow demon released his final gambit; a daily power that did 4d12+12 damage to EVERYONE ELSE in the room. He burst into a hundred spears of darkness before reforming, killing the party's secondary tank instantly, bringing one person to dying status, and bringing everyone to 10%hp or less. The encounter neeed to end. Third turn ends, and then finally, before the necromancer is given a fourth turn, the party destroys his shell, and his power is completely taken from him as the power is sucked into a now active portal behind him, which showed everyone images of the abyss and the sound of chains. The necromacner darted towards the portal, across a bridge, and rapidly aged before the party, turning from a man who was in his mid 30's to a man who was on the brink of his deathbed. The party ranger, who was influenced heavily by his power, crossed the bridge first in pursuit, and brutally slew him, breaking his bones with his fists alone, and turned the old man's face into a bloody mess. He got up and laughed as he was stripped naked by chains coming out of the portal and was sucked in, swearing that he would return from the abyss now that he remembered his full past.

The magma starts to rise, flooding the room. The party dodges falling balls of fire and stone, and escape through a secret tunnel to the surface, and for the first time in weeks, see the sun setting. Laughter is heard as they finally collapse; its over.

And then began their journey back, and on the way, they met an NPC party member who fled them in fear who paid for her cowardice being crippled now. She, being a skald, requests to do the party one last favor before they leave her behind, and she tells the local bar their entire story, granting them each a title and hailing each as a hero for their deeds of ridding this necromancer plaguing the lands for the past generation

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Need to wake up in 3.5 hours ironically, but briefly...

First off, our gangrel found a solution to her humanity problem.  It involved being sucked underground into what appeared to be hell, and observing a disgusting blood ritual.

Later we went to the club to meet my character's future thrall.  It went well.  Jake was still worrying about the morality, but she did express a (hypothetical) interest in immortality.  An eternity to party and learn.  Too bad all that supernatural stuff isn't real, huh?  Well...

Our Ventrue helped out a lot, then rather hilariously mocked Jake's moral dilemma by surreptitiously seducing and converting 2 humans into thralls right there in the club.  Different characters different playstyles (though hilariously she still has all 7 starting humanity despite going on a few murder sprees.  Good rolls).

Then as Jake was walking the woman home, he heard our Gangrel getting absolutely pulverized in the alley.  Apparently she sensed an elder vampire in the back, and started a fight.  It was not going well, the elder Daeva was moving like lightning via celerity.  Kayla kept swiping in blind frenzy, but her claws kept catching thin air.  Meanwhile the Daeva was an accomplished boxer, apparently.  Behind him, his ghoul watched and applauded.

Well, coterie first.  With Kayla a couple punches away from torpor, Jake pointed his gun at the ghoul's head and demanded the elder back off.  Glowing with Majesty, the Daeva turned to shout something...  And Kayla took the opportunity to backstab him.

As the elder's body rapidly turned to powdery ash, Kayla intoned "hornet's nest" three times.  This was apparently part of the pact which would grant her "humanity"...  Hornets appeared from Kayla and swarmed over the ashes, accepting the sacrifice.  "First of three".

As Jake stood dumbfounded, Kayla grabbed the traumatized ghoul and... well... it was quick.  As she stuffed the bloodless corpse in the dumpster, that's when we remembered the woman was still with Jake.  Watching all this.  Keep in mind, at 1 humanity, Kayla is obviously dead.  She's corpse-pale, her eyes and joints move wrong, and she was perfectly casual about the body disposal. 

The woman ran.  Guess the interview has to be cut short, unfortunately...  Gotta preserve the Masquerade.  She'll understand soon.
 :(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

This Boatmurdered?
-snip-
I never posted in that thread, but I watched quite a bit of it. Part of why I tried DnD on the forum, actually. Although sadly all games I've been in have died shortly after beginning.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This Boatmurdered?
-snip-
I never posted in that thread, but I watched quite a bit of it. Part of why I tried DnD on the forum, actually. Although sadly all games I've been in have died shortly after beginning.
My second campaign on here is going, but slowly due to how shitty my hours are. I've been getting yelled at by one player to step down as DM, but that's impossible since everything is in my head and not written down.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

you'll have to perform a brain transplantation, then.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

This Boatmurdered?
-snip-
My second campaign on here is going, but slowly due to how shitty my hours are. I've been getting yelled at by one player to step down as DM, but that's impossible since everything is in my head and not written down.
Who the fuck.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This Boatmurdered?
-snip-
Who the fuck.
I'm not able to disclose that without sending hate towards that player's way

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

That does sound like a person with a very shaky understanding of the link between a DM and a game.

Well, either that or someone who thinks they'd be the perfect replacement now that you've done all that boring worldbuilding, imagining and broad-strokes mapmaking, thus creating the perfect space for their excellent ideas to be put into play.

E: Keeping that in mind, perhaps venting about something that is this easy to look up and misidentify the perpetrator of based on personal dislikes is a poor idea.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:25:30 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 623