Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848984 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3075 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:45 am »

Lizardfolk... shedding room?

Sauna? Lamp room? Lizards are coldblooded, so they'll want a nice hot place.
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:09 am »

Oh, this is still the necropolis! Maybe a Fake Treasure Vault? Some kind of Meeting Hall (great hall or salon), possibly a Sun Room lit by mirrors? Lizardfolk love the sun, and seems like that'd be at a premium underground.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36:09 am »

-Shrine
-Greenhouse, either naturally or supernaturally upkept (A pernament daylight spell, for example)
-Observatory with telescope and planetarium.
-Small dairy barn for fresh milk and cream

Some supernatural-esk rooms
-Fairy Hutches (Either as servants or to collect their dust)
-Binding Room (Some outsider or elemental is bound here to do a service)
-Golem Maintenance room

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: January 09, 2017, 11:21:12 am »

Mud bath room!
Love, scriver~

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: January 09, 2017, 11:39:13 am »

Sauna? ;3
Black lives matter.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: January 09, 2017, 02:03:22 pm »

Finding inspiration to reboot a campaign from a different angle is hard and exhausting.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 09, 2017, 02:04:55 pm »

If it's a necropolis... where are the catacombs?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 09, 2017, 02:07:06 pm »

Man sometimes I swear necropolis and deep crypts only exist in dnd for Necromancers...

The only time there was ever an exception was this one town... but the crypt is absolutely deadly to ward off grave robbers.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: January 09, 2017, 02:10:19 pm »

To be fair, crypts and necropoli are kind of the expected enviroment for necromancers. Not like they're going to be hanging out on the chicken farm unless they're weaponising zombie poultry.

The real question is why cremation isn't more popular, what with the aforementioned necromancers. Not like anyone but adventurers and the elite of society will ever afford a resurrection.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »

There are a few reasons (Heck even when we in real life believed people could come back as zombies or vampires... we still burried bodies)

Respect for the dead, religious practices, the creation of ghosts... That the ashes of the dead can come back to life as an even worse undead abomination... As well there are plenty of ways to prevent undead without burning them... As well burrying bodies is less expensive then burning them.

That and necromancers aren't that common... it is more of a narrative causality thing that you pretty much never go into a crypt unless undead or a necromancer is in there.

The burning of bodies during a plague or to prevent a plague was considered a nessisary evil... and even Vikings who famosly burned bodies didn't even do that the majority of the time.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:23 pm »

See, the secret is to only perform sky burials. That way you only get skeletal undead and those get only half the HD of zombies.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: January 09, 2017, 02:35:27 pm »

To be fair, crypts and necropoli are kind of the expected enviroment for necromancers. Not like they're going to be hanging out on the chicken farm unless they're weaponising zombie poultry.

The real question is why cremation isn't more popular, what with the aforementioned necromancers. Not like anyone but adventurers and the elite of society will ever afford a resurrection.
Hope. Might be that there isn't a suitable thing to cremate bodies in. Might be that you lose the ability to do X, or if they cremate the bodies the soul won't make it to their gods afterlife.

Although, having necropolises that were guarded by Paladins of the god of the dead to protect them against necromancers would be cool.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: January 09, 2017, 03:53:52 pm »

There are a few reasons (Heck even when we in real life believed people could come back as zombies or vampires... we still burried bodies)

Respect for the dead, religious practices, the creation of ghosts... That the ashes of the dead can come back to life as an even worse undead abomination... As well there are plenty of ways to prevent undead without burning them... As well burrying bodies is less expensive then burning them.

That and necromancers aren't that common... it is more of a narrative causality thing that you pretty much never go into a crypt unless undead or a necromancer is in there.

The burning of bodies during a plague or to prevent a plague was considered a nessisary evil... and even Vikings who famosly burned bodies didn't even do that the majority of the time.
Some people did believe in zombies and skeletons, but the thing is that people didn't *actually* come back as zombies. Sure, people believed it sometimes happened, but cities were never actually invaded by the living dead. I bet all it would take is a single major incident in a country before burials stopped happening and mass cremation became the norm, not only legally (as the crown wouldn't like necromancer invasions or lesser necromancers going around causing trouble) but also morally (as people wouldn't want their loved ones to be turned into zombies, and I have little doubt that the Church would not be a fan of it either).

E: The existence of active gods might change things though. The Churches wouldn't care about what funeral rights people want, they would care about the funeral rights that their gods tell them to do, and if they don't want them to be cremated they simply wouldn't cremate them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:58:55 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: January 09, 2017, 04:08:42 pm »

Well yeah, kind of like burning corpses during a plague. So if there was a severe necromancer problem, cremation would be more common - if we assume, however, that necromancy mostly happens on the fringes (and isn't institutionalized and protected) and zombies aren't thought of as a common menace, there's no real reason to specifically counteract necromancy.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 09, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »

See, the secret is to only perform sky burials. That way you only get skeletal undead and those get only half the HD of zombies.
Funny you say that. I am actually working a setting at the moment in which sky burials are very important. If the vultures don't eat you when you die, enough life clings to you in the flesh you'll rise again as a zombie, but skeletons don't arise naturally.
One of the issues of the game is that a plague/curse is killing people and the vultures won't eat the plague victims, so there's a zombie problem occurring.

I think it's safe to say undead are probably still a lot more common in typical d&d settings than real life. The occasional vampire scare can't match up to actually having a genuine risk of vampires.
In fact, ninja'd by lemon on all the main points I was going to say.

Considering the hatred a lot of gods have against necromancy, it wouldn't surprise me if many of them would mandate cremation to inhibit innocent people's corpses being made victims of necromancy, and whatever soul shenanigans might be done with those to pluck the soul from the grasp of the gods.

Also, why would an adventurer go into a crypt if there wasn't a necromancer, assuming they aren't just tomb robbers? Unless you're planning to pillage either the bodies or the burial goods, there's not a huge amount of reason to go down there.

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 623