Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849147 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3780 on: April 28, 2017, 08:25:37 pm »

They need feats and magic items mostly. Last UA added racial feats. It makes sense there are less feats because it's every 4 levels and replaces ability score ups.

I also want to see more classes and less archetypes. Artificer being its own class is a step in the right direction
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: April 28, 2017, 08:39:12 pm »

To admit I am probably one of the few GMs who prefer to use new monsters to make sure that there is something unique about the monsters in every location (as well as stringing along a general yet specific theme) instead of just using the same, but iconic and familiar, monsters.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: April 28, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »

Lots of monsters to play around with is always nice, though there's always the risk of ending up with creatures that no-one ever uses.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: April 28, 2017, 09:04:22 pm »

Lots of monsters to play around with is always nice, though there's always the risk of ending up with creatures that no-one ever uses.

Well we already have those in 5e :P

A huge pile of them too >_>

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: April 28, 2017, 11:15:28 pm »

*MC has only ever read the PHB for 5e*

I need to actually find things...
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: April 28, 2017, 11:22:54 pm »

I highly recommend a read through Volo's Guide to Monsters if you can find a readable version online.

the unearthed arcana is on their site

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 28, 2017, 11:51:10 pm »

I highly recommend a read through Volo's Guide to Monsters if you can find a readable version online.

I recall unearthed arcana being a bunch of ridiculous bullshit in 3.5.
Did they make it playable this time?

...I need a computer...
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: April 29, 2017, 12:00:37 am »

Unearthed Arcana in 5e is basically... things they want to add later so they are play testing it.

It HAS lead to some insanity such as a player race with such potent darkvision that they puts magic to shame... Heck it puts normal vision to shame (Luckily the full version removes two of the problem races... to the extent where I wonder if they were official in the first place)

Another race that was removed was also... well... broken (as in the rules governing them weren't functional. It wasn't too good or too problematic... It just relied on rules that don't yet exist in the game)

Kind of interesting how of the four meant to be added... only one made it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:04:10 am by Neonivek »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 29, 2017, 04:36:07 am »

I recall unearthed arcana being a bunch of ridiculous bullshit in 3.5.
Did they make it playable this time?

...I need a computer...

Some of the UA is good. Other bits of it are horribly broken, so for consistency it might be easiest to stick to PHB and Volo's guide etc.

To be fair the classes in the PHB are quite good, so its not like your game would really suffer if you only permitted that material.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: April 29, 2017, 04:43:24 am »

I'm waiting for the PHBII for 5E to come out so I can see how they managed to balance the Mystic, it looked quite interesting but also a bit broken in the UA. That and a few more archetypes for everything, stuff like Storm Sorcerer and Bladesinger were cool and even some of the divine reflavorings of regular classes were cool (such as the Zealot Barbarian, which though mechanically not very impressive is such a cool concept).

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:44 am »

Bladesinger was officially released in Sword Coast Adventure guide. I think storm sorcerer might be there too

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: April 29, 2017, 09:23:30 am »

Personally I suspect we're not going to get a PHBII, but bits of content scattered through other books like the subclasses in SCAG or the monstrous races in Volo's.

But yeah, UA is a tad hit and miss regards balance, which is kinda the point to be fair :P That said, there's also some really cool stuff for inspiration in there.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: April 29, 2017, 10:22:09 am »

Personally I suspect we're not going to get a PHBII, but bits of content scattered through other books like the subclasses in SCAG or the monstrous races in Volo's.

But yeah, UA is a tad hit and miss regards balance, which is kinda the point to be fair :P That said, there's also some really cool stuff for inspiration in there.
They have too much playtest material due to releasing one new UA every week a month or two ago. Had new stuff for every class, plus a few other things.

It will more than likely be a PHB2; too much content for how little the Sword Coast Adventute Guide holds

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: April 29, 2017, 10:14:45 pm »

Another game night. Tried to liberate a labour camp, but it was full of mounted knights, and just way too fortified for us to actually stand a chance.

We went back to the inn, but couldn't sleep due to some scratching at the floorboards. After some searching, we found the entrance to the cellar. My dumb ass fell down the stairs, and in the basement was a Shredskin. Rather than deal with it, we let it out. Cue the innkeeper flipping shit and demanding we go find and kill it before it kills someone.

After, we went to go find allies to help us with the freeing of the town. Following rumours, we find a cave in the hills nearby. There's demons within, and we find a hidden chamber filled with dominated thralls. A summon attempt went awry, apparently.

Afterwords, a Contract Devil appeared. He explained that the demons were a result of a contract gone wrong, then offered us a contract each. The Gunslinger asked to be a Vampire, the Fighter wants to become half-dragon, I want to be a Graveknight, the Summoner doesn't want anything, the Bard was unable to play this session, and the DMPC is played rather hands-off.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: April 29, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »

Contract Devil, eh? I hope you read the fine print. It's usually not good news.

In my campaign, I also recently introduced Contract Devils as part of the large city of Asmodeus worshippers my group are exploring. They openly run shops where you can go and obtain wishes. Of course, the contract is pre-written in black ink on a black piece of parchment.

Anyway, all my players know me too well to fall for that. They went and fought a pack of hellhounds chasing some escaped slaves, delved into the mine where the slaves were hiding, bypassed the puzzle room and disarmed the trap, then fought the elder earth elemental and freed the slaves.

As a reward, they were told to meet their NPC contact at dawn, a vigilante named the Silver Falcon. He took them on a chase sequence through the city to raid the temple of the records of the slaves, finding the details of one character's enslaved mother and another character's enslaved brother. They burned the archive to the ground on their escape, and the vigilante revealed himself to be one of the two brothers they're searching for.

So now the group's going to have a choice to make next session. They can either aid the uprising that's going to occur now the slave contracts have been destroyed, or they can flee. I'm gonna have to prep the mass combat rules for them if they plan to fight, but if they win it'll mean they deal the devil-worshipping nation a big blow, taking out one of their critical trade cities.

Of course, since it's a location of pretty significant importance, the Asmodeans will probably send whatever they can spare to defend it. I figure a series of five encounters should deal with the outcome in one session. First a mass combat with the freed slaves vs. the local city guard, then a tactical combat with the party vs. elite guards, then vs. devil guards, a second mass combat vs. reinforcements to defend the city, then a tactical combat vs. a boss devil and his minions that teleport into the city.

I'm just wondering if that's too much combat, but I can't really think of anything else that would suit besieging a city. Anyone have any experience or suggestions about alternative events that might occur where a group leads an army to assault a city other than a straight up combat encounter?
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 623