Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849204 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3795 on: April 29, 2017, 11:56:54 pm »

We're being cut a bit of slack for these contracts. Or at least, we're supposed to be, according to the AP. The Devils, and Cheliax in general, are in need of our help in liberating this town. Rather than fine print to screw us over, we just return the favour by offering souls as payment. The book's default recommendation is 400 souls in return for an army of Bearded Devils to help us take back the town, apparently.

I haven't actually read anything story-related in the book, so I'm not 100% certain if the DM's making an ass-pull. I did check the encounter table though, and there is no Silver Dragon in there. Nor were there Pegasi or Cavalier Centaurs.

Can't think of any alternatives for a combat for your siege, unfortunately. I don't think I've seen or played one run in any way other than Mass Combat or the party facing down a ton of enemies. Mass Combat's boring though, as it's usually just one player with Profession (Soldier) doing everything as everyone else is stuck watching.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: April 30, 2017, 12:02:57 am »

We finished the first book of the Carrion Crown. We fought the last, and biggest haunt in the book. CR 8. A really long, but pretty interesting fight. I broke a secret door lock last session. Like reall gud. I missed my disable device roll by 10. It was cover by this stone faccade. And we had some mine picks, and broke through the faccade. Then ended up paying for a restore spell, for 150 to open it up. Turned out to be a armory. With quite a lot of masterwork armor and weapons. Which was great, as we've been so poor this game. Replaced my studded leather armor with masterwork studded leather armor. The cleric, got a mastercraft heavycross bow and +1 bolts.

So the fight was in two forms. The first form, was an entire room. When we went into the room, the Haunt, was stealing parts of a soul, and his schtick was writing names. So as we stood in the room, the names would appear on the wall. We got these one time flasks that are meant to hurt and trap haunts.  And we used that to take it out. What we were suppose to do, is attack our names on the wall. This was completly lost on the entire party. We were pretty stumped. So after that, it turned out this was a load bearing boss, and the room that the words were happening collopsed. Then the Haunt ghostly body showed up. And it played whack a mole with us and shot us with magic arrow. And they also summed various monsters. We had the Haunt Deathnote, and after it ghost body showed up, we started to tear out pages, which seem to be effective. One PC totally died by the RAW. Their HP, went negative equal to the Con. I manage to get the last blow, by being able to shot into melee with a ghost touch arrow. Narrowly, we almost lost. The GM was kind and let me add in my sneak attack dice, to my arrow strike when it was the next person turn. I manage to roll max damage. Heh. During the fight, this summoned animal thing, a dire rat or spider, had like 4 hp left, and I was using my Suli elemental strike feature, and di like 22 damage to it. Just fucking murder the shit out of it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: April 30, 2017, 04:51:12 am »

The tabletop gaming club at my uni had a Tomb of Horrors competition, which I just got back from. A bunch of different teams were all racing to see who could get the farthest in the recently released 5e version of the Tomb. I went with a couple of friends, and we got placed with three other randoms, but that mostly worked out. I played a cleric, where my job was primarily to stand behind the rogue, applying Guidance, and performing the Help action as they searched for traps and secret doors. We moved very, very, very slowly through the dungeon, and spent about 45 minutes before we even went 15 feet into the dungeon proper, after almost dying to a false entrance. We found a secret door early on, which led to Dart Hell, which took us about an hour to get through. Somehow, all six of us managed to survive that, with the rogue only dying for a second, before the DM realized that spikes do not insta-kill. We started to pick up the pace, as we got a better sense of how the dungeon was designed, and how to watch out for death traps, speeding through the orb room, avoiding the gear stealing teleportation door many other groups fell into, practically ignoring the chapel (except for the fact that our barbarian did walk into the gender/alignment changing mist), and only TPKing in a pit of lava. We were down to our last hour by that point, so we were moving really fast, and weren't being as thorough as we should have been. We only had two combat encounters, and, as tenth level characters, we managed to absolutely shit on both of them, which was a lot of fun, but the traps were the real 'killers'. IIRC, our fighter took about 100+ damage from traps alone, especially darts..
All in all, we didn't win, but we did tie for second when it came to distance, but we got penalized for TPKing, which left us in a solid third place, only a few rooms behind the group in first.

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: April 30, 2017, 05:26:33 am »

I'm running a tabletop god game over on the Forum Games subforum: The Titan Age

Still desperately looking for players. :|

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: May 01, 2017, 05:21:21 am »

They have too much playtest material due to releasing one new UA every week a month or two ago. Had new stuff for every class, plus a few other things.

It will more than likely be a PHB2; too much content for how little the Sword Coast Adventute Guide holds
Fair point. Still, to rephrase, I imagine any PHB2 would be quite a while off yet given the big UA push has only just come to a close.

And just had my 3 year long campaign come to a close last night. Somehow managed to stave off the exhaustion in order to deliver a well received epilogue hour, but yeah. The rogue has become a Duchess of the Nine Hells, the Sorcerer became a Dragon, the Barbarian joined a nomadic Githyanki warship (as cook), the Warlock became a Lich to delay his death so that his soul would never go to the Far Realms as he had a contract with an Eldritch Horror, and the Ranger spent the rest of his days fishing.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: May 01, 2017, 05:37:21 am »

before the DM realized that spikes do not insta-kill.

I'd criticize the DM but the tomb of horror is chalked full of total bs like that.

Mind you... of all the overdesigned overly deadly dungeons... It is the one that makes the most sense to be that way.

Assuming I am thinking of the right dungeon (which I might not be).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: May 01, 2017, 09:28:11 am »

Tomb of Horrors is only chock-full of instant death items that RAW actually kill you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: May 01, 2017, 09:30:12 am »

Tomb of Horrors is only chock-full of instant death items that RAW actually kill you.

Ohh... I guess I got the wrong dungeon.

I am thinking of the one created by Vecna and the description of how it resets the traps and treasure is some of the most hilariously overblown devices in the series.

It also features quite a few instant no-save deaths.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: May 01, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »

to be fair, the original Tomb of Horrors had a demilich in the treasure room as the final trap.

Disturb the bejeweled skull, fight a monter that could only be killed with an adamantine vorpal longsword.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: May 01, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »

I'd criticize the DM but the tomb of horror is chalked full of total bs like that.

Wait, what does chalked full mean?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3805 on: May 01, 2017, 03:30:42 pm »

It's a common malapropism for "chock full of".

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:23 pm »

to be fair, the original Tomb of Horrors had a demilich in the treasure room as the final trap.

Disturb the bejeweled skull, fight a monter that could only be killed with an adamantine vorpal longsword.

There are so many reasons why Vorpal shouldn't work :P

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: May 02, 2017, 10:02:25 am »

And to think my girlfriend still wants me to run a tomb of horrors game translated to 5e...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: May 02, 2017, 10:30:57 am »

And to think my girlfriend still wants me to run a tomb of horrors game translated to 5e...

I'd mention Tales of the Yawning Portal but I suspect Tomb of Horrors gets less lethal every time it's updated to a new edition.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: May 02, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »

I'd mention Tales of the Yawning Portal but I suspect Tomb of Horrors gets less lethal every time it's updated to a new edition.

To admit though 4e was meant to remove instant kills (and honestly the way it did so... actually was waaay more interesting then 3.5s) and 5e added them back but gave them conditions.

So a lot of the Tomb of Horror's (If I am thinking of the right one) save or die and other "unfair" mechanics wouldn't fly.

Or rather... Tomb of Horror is getting easier because the rules are getting less arbitrarily set against the players.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 623