Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845497 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

It's just one game group. Only one I've ever been in.

He hasn't been properly confronted about that. Still maintains that the book was unchanged, and I have an incorrect copy. He's not DMing anymore though, since no-one was happy with that campaign.

One player was screaming at another because he wanted to play something, and the other player wanted them to play something different.

Worth noting that the person getting screamed at wasn't even present. He was off on a fishing trip, and just texted his character idea to the DM.

The Orc player screams everything he does. Lots of screaming for the sake of being loud from the Samurai and the Orc.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:11:27 am by BlackFlyme »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

That sounds very dysfunctional indeed. Perfect for ruining everyone's mood before you even start playing.
Love, scriver~

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

At this point...yeah, I'm thinking playing online might be your best bet. Sounds like your real-life group(s?) are just way too toxic to be enjoyable.

I'd second this, you seem to have an overabundance of grade A twats at your table (not that they're necessarily bad people in general, they're just really shit at tabletop games in the worst kind of way). At least in Roll20 you get to join a game and, if you don't like the group or the game, promptly disappear without explanation or hesitation and nobody can do a damn thing about it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm, Tempted to offer a group of people *max 5* a game. 5e with a LOT of Homebrewing to it. Almost changing a lot of things but still 5e at core.
Anyone interested in trying my game? Details will come later.
Played on Roll20, Voip via a Discord. DM (me) Australian (+10gmt) but can adjust times if needed to find a good base

Keep mind that this Post will be updated with more information.

NOTES::

Certain Classes and Races are Locked. (Can not choose at Level 1 or via Level Up)
Special Rules regarding how Magic Items and Potions are handled.
Large World to explore, and Freeformed for most part.
Archtypes unlock for Classes and Playstyles.
Unique Actions to gain during Play (Trained in special locations)
Magic is considered High but only in the fact that its a Common use thing regarding mundane things. Magical Items from Books are considered Artifacts and are Rare.
Crafting included. (Prototyped)
Story Driven EXP over Battle EXP so that things can be more entertaining over "I can't have them face this yet cause they will jump like 4 levels easily" shit. (HATE THAT CRAP!)

Some things to Note Now.

Area -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Races -

Magic comes in two kinds. Magic and Magik.

Potions

Downtime and Skillgains.

Actions

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:42:11 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

What do you guys normally do when a player doesn't show?

We've had a few omissions every week for as far as I can remember, and for some reason, we've recently started having someone just play the missing person's character. A bit annoying, but not the worst thing, I guess.

At least it was quieter. The person playing the 3rd party Samurai is irking me.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Contact, then warning, then removal?
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my case, if someone isn't showing up it's usually because they're out of town.

In response, I eat all their snacks, and give their character some embarrassing reason they're unable to continue adventuring.

Explosive diarrhoea is always a good one.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

In my case, if someone isn't showing up it's usually because they're out of town.

In response, I eat all their snacks, and give their character some embarrassing reason they're unable to continue adventuring.

Explosive diarrhoea is always a good one.
I tend to give them diseases or something, but nothing that will kill you right away.

I remember my DM gave my character cancer when I was gone for a week (cause spellscar that fucked me up more than normal) and I kinda mimicked him but with something like "you got a bad case of the runs" or some custom sickness that gets absurd like "your character no longer grows hair but feathers". Just something to make them go "WHAT THE F*** DID YOU DO WITH ME WHILE I WAS GONE!?"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:11:48 am by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am starting to think Railroading is the faux-satan of Roleplaying.

It is constantly made out to be this HORRID demon, this horrible beast! Yet... Outside niche groups most players prefer to be railroaded to a moderate extent and even more are completely lost if they are not even if they are given hints.

As soon as I stepped outside the hardcore roleplayer minority... BOOM! All of a sudden my player base wanted more direction, more story for them to explore along the way, and to simplify what they have to do. I was incredulous and it was kind of weird going from having my players being so hardcoded against railroading that they outright advocated against time advancing (YES REALLY! That if a evil overlord exists, they he must sit on his throne until the players are good and ready for him), to players actually saying "Hey, probably be best of you railroad for a bit. I need to catch my bearings".

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

I don['t think it's so much railroading as it is obvious railroading that bothers players. They like to have the illusion of choice in their games, even if it's so heavily railroaded there's only one possible ending to the whole shebang.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

I don['t think it's so much railroading as it is obvious railroading that bothers players. They like to have the illusion of choice in their games, even if it's so heavily railroaded there's only one possible ending to the whole shebang.

It's gotta be smooth, like a hyperloop or a maglev.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well most games there can only be one REAL ending (outside losing). Even open world games are typically "All roads lead to Rome" as you eventually have to deal with some sort of plot.

I don't think it is "Obvious Railroading" either. It is...

DM: "A Locked door lays infront of you"
Player: "I hit it with my pickax"
DM: "Ohh I didn't think of that... Uhhh... It breaks your Pickax, and your exhausted for trying"

It is slapping the reins out of a player's hand and telling them that your idea of how to solve the problem is superior, I think.

Which come to think of it, I am starting to think "Strongly directed = Railroading" is a construct of this oversensitivity.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:34:42 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

I don't think that's railroading as much as being a poor DM.

We're allowed to hack down all the doors we like in our campaign. It's just really noisy and time-consuming!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

We're allowed to hack down all the doors we like in our campaign. It's just really noisy and time-consuming!
I would imagine that such an impact could also trigger any traps the door might contain.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would imagine that such an impact could also trigger any traps the door might contain.

Being a poor DM is sort of an umbrella :P

I had a DM who did that. He also made my Monk get hurt from EVERYTHING he punched.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 623