Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848826 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4395 on: September 14, 2017, 11:41:15 am »

Probably right up to the end, seeing as I never played Diablo... Now if you tried to run Dungeon Siege...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »

Depends on how into classic PC games your players are. Me, I like to think I'd realize right before character creation when you told me the available classes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: September 14, 2017, 03:41:14 pm »

Depends on how into classic PC games your players are. Me, I like to think I'd realize right before character creation when you told me the available classes.

There's actually two D2 books.  One's the adventure of basically the whole game (minus the expansion/act V unfortunately), and the second converts the character classes into 3.5 standards classes along with feats and spells and such.  So your wizard can learn corpse explosion or whatever.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:38 pm »

New World of Darkness, Vampires campaign continues

But not for one of my ghouls, Nelson.  We...  Bad decisions were made, and I'm missing most of my torso due to demon-empowered gangrel claws, but he actually died.
And that's where things get a little complicated.  As an Invictus alder and a Ventrue, my character has certainly used people.  Largely other PCs, honestly.  Living humbly.  Having the rank, but never needing to pull it.  Watching.

Last night everything went wrong.  It was stupid, we were tired.

Our Baroness, literal land-lord, commanded us to investigate an abandoned mansion full of squatters.  There are complicated tensions between us and her, but we (mostly I) decided to accede to her demands.  For now...  She'll get hers later, the b- she literally revoked our right to feed at home, which is basically the only thing she offers us.  Fortunately, the Prince appreciates our loyal service.  She hates us even more now, because he insisted that she treat us right. 

[bitch gonna die [My char's at 2 humanity]] But of course we were happy to help our Baroness out  with her childe.
Also I'm pretty sure said childe is actively sabotaging communications, such that our technical liege-lady think we're ignoring summons.  Said liege refused to switch to the patented Newhall brand pigeon-system, so uh...  I guess I'm not even joking about the childe needing to die.  She's actively fucking us over.

This was supposed to be an eulogy for Nelson, my ghoul.  I suppose the lack of focus is pretty appropriate for a decently-aged vampire trying to remember their ghoul...  Even if it (sic) was a hopeful protege.

Nelson was a loyal ghoul.  He got accused of some heinous stuff, but after combing through his brain with especially intense vampiric compulsion I'm convinced he didn't do it.  He drove us places, was decent with a handcannon (which "helps" but isn't the best in NWoD), and kinda didn't keep being emo like my other ghoul.  Maybe because I only blessed him with resilience instead of a trace of Dominate.

He died by leaping into a demon-summoning circle at my command, in hopes he would acquire ultimate cosmic powers.  Instead he horrified the fucking Kaylas Belial's Brood, convincing at least one to run the fuck away.  Which is the only reason I'm still alive.
He's probably in hell I guess, I dunno.  My character canonically lost religion around the time she spent 50 years as a ghoul.  And she doesn't have enough occult to know where Nelson ended up.  But he was good, I guess I'm saying.

Rainbow, my surviving ghoul, is somewhat worrying...  So everyone says, anyway.  I think it's fine.  I insist it's fine.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: September 14, 2017, 11:04:02 pm »

Better watch your back. Nothing like watching your counterpart be sucked into absolute torment to motivate a ghoul into making that willpower check and staking you in the middle of the day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: September 14, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »

Rainbow has seen our group utilize a few ghouls, people and a couple of vampires.  By utilize I mean get killed.
Though they weren't *mine*, usually.  And that's the thing I was building up to, I guess.

My character spent 50 years as a ghoul, then 10 as a vampire bodyguard, before becoming a character.  Then did possibly the worst job imaginable- travelling with a pair of Malkavians and trying to cure them.  It kinda sucked, and she barely managed to resist the virus on one unfortunate occasion.

Her opinion is that it's one thing to embrace a pawn then sacrifice him for the Covenant.  That's just business.  But proteges are supposed to be different.  She's supposed to look after these ghouls for 50 years, embrace them, then let them go.

They're like her.  It's not right that one of them died.  That's... wrong.  She has 2 humanity, but things need to be a certain way, like they were for her.  She has absolute faith in her sire, basically.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 15, 2017, 06:55:35 pm »

Finished making my Charisma Barbarian. Character has 20 charisma. At first level. Oh yeah.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 15, 2017, 08:10:14 pm »

Sadly, we lost one more of our characters that's been with us since first level during last night's game.

After 64 sessions spanning a little under one and a half years, the book closes on Lady Sarabian's story. Her quest to find and free her brothers from slavery was successful, to a certain degree. Her first brother turned out to be organizing an underground rebellion to free all the slaves of his city under his vigilante persona, the Silver Falcon. With the help of her friends, they succeeded in releasing the slaves and forming a free city.

Her second brother was captured by gnolls, and with frantic haste, she set forth to rescue him from their underground temple stronghold. Her efforts were successful, slaying all of the gnolls including their heavily pregnant high priestess of Lamashtu, though during the final battle she ended up on Lamashtu's sacrificial altar. As the high priestess fell, stabbed through her pregnant belly, calling out a prayer to her dark god with her dying breath, Lamashtu answered her prayer and appeared in person before our adventurers.

Sarabian, ensuring her brother was with her allies, delayed Lamashtu long enough to let them escape, then sacrificed herself upon the altar before Lamashtu could turn her to the dark god's own purposes.

Given the circumstances, she had a 90% chance of her soul being sent straight to be Abyss as a sacrifice, but her faith in Desna, the god of luck, favored her with a percentage roll of 99, rescuing her soul from being devoured by demons.

Behind the scenes of course, the encounter with Lamashtu wasn't actually with the god herself. Rather, it was a Glabrezu demon veiled to appear as Lamashu, bluffing the hell out of the party. Seems the group bought the ruse hook, line and sinker however, which is understandable and tempts me to use more deceptions and illusions in the future against these min-maxer munchkins.

So the group retreated to town to lick their wounds, sell their loot and heal their afflictions. One of their group is still permanently baleful polymorphed into a newt, but should be able to get freed next session.

We finished off the session with the two least wounded characters assisting the local dwarven high priest with a little summoning mishap. Apparently he'd been doing independent spell research and discovered a way to summon vodka elementals, which turned out to have met dwarves before and flew into a berserk rage. They slew the beast, earning a few castings of some high level cleric spells in repayment. It was a fun note to finish off the session, and the group got good and plastered in character in memory of their fallen companion.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 16, 2017, 02:13:22 am »

Finished making my Charisma Barbarian. Character has 20 charisma. At first level. Oh yeah.

That's definitely not rules-legal under point buy in 5E, did you manage to roll an 18 in a stat?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 16, 2017, 02:26:58 am »

It might be 20 effective cha after being modified by an item...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 16, 2017, 02:27:51 am »

I'm pretty sure you can't get any ability boosting items at first level either.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 16, 2017, 02:28:34 am »

"Family heirloom" (cough, nudge)??

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: September 16, 2017, 02:37:17 am »

Could always just be some strategic roll fudging agreed on with the GM, for the sake of making a silly character. :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 16, 2017, 02:40:43 am »

Or maybe he used a +2 racial bonus.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 16, 2017, 02:45:57 am »

Or maybe he used a +2 racial bonus.

Nah, point buy in 5E lets you raise a stat to a maximum of 15, which with a +2 bonus goes up to 17. Only way to get more unless you relax the restrictions is if you roll for 'em, which is why I was wondering - I was planning a 5E game in the not too specific future and thinking on how exactly I'd do point buy in it because I really do not enjoy the low cap on stats in the baseline system.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 623