Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845613 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4545 on: October 19, 2017, 02:28:50 pm »

The lack of weight, and low cost of soap and candles appeal to me. What can I do to use 150 soap, and 300 candles? Can I use the soap like ball bearings?
You can have a super-relaxing bath!

But, seriously, I have heard of people using soap in-game to either make surfaces slippery or make it easier to move through tight spaces. You'll probably also need water, of course.

Candles could be used to make molds of things, and maybe used to seal letters and such, though presumably sealing wax is preferred for the later for some reason, so candles may not be the best for it.

In the same vein of low cost and negligible weight, there's also chalk! Use it to mark passages you've been down in a maze, grind it into dust to blow into your enemies' faces, make your hands less sweaty for your Acrobatics roll, leave hints to future adventures about the boss that's about to kill you, play hopscotch in the dungeon, etc. The sky's the limit with chalk!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: October 19, 2017, 03:25:58 pm »

Chalk is awesome.  Somebody can see the amazing magical portal door, but nobody else can? Give them the chalk, and tell them to draw a box around the door. Voila, now everyone can use the door. :P

Soap is useful for removing contaminants, along with water. (you DO carry water skins, right? RIGHT?) It is also useful for "not really alchemy" if you have GM approved skill use for that. (sodium palmitate, what you get when you turn palm kernel oil into soap, can be mixed with various ratified hydrocarbons without water, to make napalm, for instance. )

Soap is also amusing to use on bad-mouthed NPCs during interrogation scenes. (Just like mother used to do!)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:08 pm »

Candles can also be used for lighting, obviously. Might end up being more efficient than other options if you want to keep a whole room lit for awhile?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: October 19, 2017, 03:30:46 pm »

Lantern is more economical for light. Can  be directed, does not blow out as easy, can pour the oil out of it and light that on fire to make an instant hazard for chasing baddies, etc.

It is best to carry a bullseye lantern and oil (until you can afford something like a belt of light or some such) and maybe 2 or 3 candles for various wax related shenanigans.

Soap in a sock shouldnt be overlooked as a fun makeshift toy though.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: October 19, 2017, 03:34:54 pm »

Candles are also useful if your GM uses a more logical version of the lighting rules that doesn't stop you seeing them 6 ft away in a dark room. If you need to figure out the relative positions of things in the dark (to track which tunnels in a cave system you've gone down, for example), having many small light sources is a good alternative to one big one. They're also a handy way to make a clock.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: October 19, 2017, 03:35:09 pm »

Soap in a sock shouldnt be overlooked as a fun makeshift weapon though.
ftfy

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: October 19, 2017, 03:39:48 pm »

I would say you could use a pot of boiling candle wax as a weapon, but it's really better as a torture device since you can just boil oil instead, which is way more deadly.

And then throw a waterskin into it for an instant bomb.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: October 19, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »

No, candle is a fantastic torture device.

Stake the torture victim down on the ground spread eagled, and strip them of their clothing. Place a single candle on their chest, and light it. It will slowly dribble hot wax onto them, and as the wick burns down, will seriously burn them, but in a non-lethal way.

Lantern works better for "hot seat" though. (tie to metal chair. Place lantern underneath chair.)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: October 19, 2017, 05:00:05 pm »

So, as a human with 14 intelligence, How many total languages do I get? Common, one extra from race, maximum two from background, and two from intelligence?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: October 19, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »

So, as a human with 14 intelligence, How many total languages do I get? Common, one extra from race, maximum two from background, and two from intelligence?

Humans don't get a racial language, their racial language is Common (unless you're doing that admittedly fun situation where there's a lot of human languages instead).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: October 19, 2017, 05:20:46 pm »

In 3.5 you'd get 3, 1 from being human (common) and 2 from int, which could be chosen from the human bonus list (which is "any"). In 5E I think you'd get 2 from being human (common+1 choice) and then any from your background, but higher int doesn't give more languages.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: October 19, 2017, 06:20:51 pm »

Stake the torture victim down on the ground spread eagled, and strip them of their clothing. Place a single candle on their chest, and light it. It will slowly dribble hot wax onto them
Don't threaten me with a good time.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: October 19, 2017, 06:24:56 pm »

It depends on the kind of wax, as it so happens. One kind of wax melts at a temperature that scalds you but doesn't do any real damage, the other kind melts hotter and can cause second-degree burns. Not such a good time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: October 19, 2017, 06:26:46 pm »

Stake the torture victim down on the ground spread eagled, and strip them of their clothing. Place a single candle on their chest, and light it. It will slowly dribble hot wax onto them
Don't threaten me with a good time.
Don't forget the ball gag and leather gimp suit.

So, the group's spent the night in the extraplanar dragon's castle, but the dragon's got a hard-on for sexing the party cleric. I plan to have him try to bluff the group that she decided to stay in the castle to enjoy his library, but anyone else have ideas for other fun shenanigans I could pull on the group too? Assume the dragon has access to 5th level Sorcerer spellcasting and 75,000 gp of wealth in various forms such as items. System is Pathfinder.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: October 19, 2017, 07:15:52 pm »

Does our dragon count (dracula? Nawww.. too cliche! ;)) get any special abilities via his control over the McGuffin?
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 623