Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845639 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4635 on: November 11, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »

Cool. I always enjoy seeing some of the less popular games on my shelf in other people's collections.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: November 11, 2017, 11:06:43 pm »

Unrelated:  Our wizard just referred to the Underdark as the "deep web"
I can't believe
I've never heard this
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: November 11, 2017, 11:13:36 pm »

Unrelated:  Our wizard just referred to the Underdark as the "deep web"
I can't believe
I've never heard this
99% of people won't spread this phrasing...the 1% who do are blessed by Lolth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: November 12, 2017, 01:00:48 am »

Wait a second, amber diceless? As in Chronicles of Amber? The author name looks right...

I wonder if it is any good? How would you fit that setting into an RPG without it getting too crazy?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: November 12, 2017, 01:13:52 am »

I was wondering the same exact thing :P
Wooooah there's a Chronicles of Amber roleplaying game??  Personal note to check *that* out later!  Is it any good?  We're playing 3.5e right now, but I'm kinda due to run another game sometime.

(I might need to reread some, though...  I read the books so long ago, and I think I only read the first... 3?  I stopped on a pretty apocalyptic and explanatory note, but there were more books apparently.)
But yeah, it's Zelazny!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Diceless_Roleplaying_Game
I'm not familiar with "diceless" roleplaying games.  Looking over the wiki page, seems really social and few hard rules.  I'd love to hear more about how that works.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: November 12, 2017, 01:23:24 am »

Wooooah there's a Chronicles of Amber roleplaying game??  Personal note to check *that* out later!  Is it any good?  We're playing 3.5e right now, but I'm kinda due to run another game sometime.

(I might need to reread some, though...  I read the books so long ago, and I think I only read the first... 3?  I stopped on a pretty apocalyptic and explanatory note, but there were more books apparently.)

There's 10 books in all, and there is a Great Book of Amber that puts them all together in one item.

Spoiler: My Copy (click to show/hide)

Some guy also acquired the rights, and wrote 3 more prequel books about Oberon after Roger Zelazny's death.  They're highly controversial.  Friend of mine who ran our Amber campaign says the first book is lacking, but it picks up and gets fun in the 2nd.  Probably worth checking out if you're not a purist.

The game is great, but probably not for everyone.  It's diceless.  So you'll want a good, fair GM.  It has rules.  There just aren't any impartial mechanics for resolving things.

I would absolutely play Amber again... but there are few games more rarely played out there.

Also, Amber has the coolest goddamn implementation of magic I can think of.  The concept of lynchpins creates this perfect balance between ritual and improvised magic.  Fucking love it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:28:11 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: November 12, 2017, 01:31:29 am »

Thanks a bunch!  Currently in DND but giving that writeup a read when I can.  And wow, that's the book I have :D
(Looks like I read the Corwin cycle, never started the Merlin cycle.  I also read the first prequel book, I remember it being alright though notably different.)
She/they

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: November 12, 2017, 12:08:05 pm »

That sounds cool! It would be kinda hard to find a GM that would be up to it though...

I rather liked the books, and Merlin's ending was one one my favorites, happy (sort of) but not sappy.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: November 12, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »

I think the Chronicles of Amber was gurps. I think it had an original system sometime in the 80s, but I think its newest incarnation is gurps.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »

The copy I've got looks like it was published by Phage Press in 1991.  Mine is 4th printing 1999.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: November 12, 2017, 10:15:56 pm »

And then you play.  And everything's basically resolved by common sense.  In a straight contest, the higher ranking will win, with as much flavor depending on the disparity in attributes as the players/GM would like.  But of course, circumstances and maneuvering always play a part.  Benedict is the best fighter in the Amber universe.  Period.  But Corwin could still draw a fight out with him on the defensive long enough to lure him into a trap.  Amber's a world of intrigue and power plays.  You can't be stupid.
Thanks so much for this in-depth and fascinating explanation (particularly cool part quoted).  I really might DM this for my friends sometime...  Probably not for a month or two, but still.  My understanding of the setting has rusted a lot, but I feel like I still have the key factors (based on the Corwin cycle) and they shouldn't be hard to teach.  I'll likely make up a lot of stuff to fill in the setting, aheh, which I think sometimes works better than strict adherence to an established setting (As Spoony talked about in his Babylon 5 game.  He intentionally modified several events and NPCs so that players couldn't study the show's plot for meta-advantage).

Your character reminds me in some ways of my first Vampire character, a bit of a techno-genius inspired in part by Mr Robot.  My vampire was (usually) less edgy, heh, but I was 29 at the time (;
Technology seemed underutilized in the Corwin cycle, though the setting does mostly explain why.  And, heh, there were exceptions.
She/they

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: November 12, 2017, 10:25:32 pm »

Technology seemed underutilized in the Corwin cycle, though the setting does mostly explain why.  And, heh, there were exceptions.

Well... they were also written in the 70's :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: November 13, 2017, 02:18:46 am »

I think the Chronicles of Amber was gurps. I think it had an original system sometime in the 80s, but I think its newest incarnation is gurps.

I don't know where you got that info. The only Amber game, Amber Diceless, came out in '91.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #4648 on: November 13, 2017, 07:00:34 am »

Pathfinder's Ultimate Wilderness is going to be out in a couple of days, though it seems people aren't too pleased with the new Shifter class.

Expectations seem to have been all over the place for this one, and there's already a ton of homebrew versions flying around.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:02:15 am by BlackFlyme »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:25 am »

It's a bit shifty.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 623