Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849123 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5535 on: July 29, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »

Okay okay take it to the word association thread guys :P

Kind of excited to see PF2.0 since that makes it (technically) DnD4.75 considering PF was widely known to be DnD3.75

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 29, 2018, 09:38:43 pm »

Hopefully DnD5.75.  No offense to 4E, but it was an experiment back into the wargaming roots which got... largely redacted.  5E is Wizards's refinement of 3.5, so the real competitor/comparison to Pathfinder 1/2.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 30, 2018, 08:41:38 am »

Here's a decent summary of the story behind a lot of the failures that led to 4E being a market flop, mainly due to WotC planning but failing to deliver on a virtual tabletop that would tie in directly with 4E mechanics to compete with the MMORPG market, which was a huge growth market during the time of the development of that edition.

Ultimately, WotC saw Warcraft gobbling up big dollars, tried to make their new edition appeal both to their old market and this newer emerging one, and ended up with a failure that couldn't deliver to the second and alienated the first.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 30, 2018, 06:48:37 pm »

Yeah, back when my D&D group played 4th Edition, someone said it was a shame they never made a grid-based tactics videogame out of it, since all the rules work was already done. It was also really weird how they made Neverwinter based on 4E, but then made daily and encounter powers basically work like cool-downs.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: August 01, 2018, 07:50:15 pm »

I now have a 26 CHA sorcerer.  Like, naturally.  Well, as natural as finding a Tome and surviving 300 years for it to recharge twice.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: August 01, 2018, 09:51:02 pm »

You know what I like? Landmine traps.

Traditionally, a trap is something that you either spot and disable, or fail to spot and trigger, take damage from, then heal and move on.

Instead of this, I like traps that are tricky to spot, and trigger but don't activate unless you fail to disable them. Step on the wobbly flagstone and click! Don't move unless you want it to go off. Open the chest and crunch! Better not close that lid or else the poison gas will be released.

At higher levels, throw in stuff like spheres of force that trap one of the characters inside them, or trigger a countdown in rounds until something nasty occurs.

Also, instead of simply rolling a single check to disable traps, it becomes a minigame of figuring out the devious mechanism to disarm the device. Perhaps you need two simultaneous checks to disarm it, one being disable device, the other a strength check to lift the massive stone block covering the sensitive components. Or maybe you need a knowledge (nobility) check to spot that the family crest in this room has an extra star on the heraldry that's not supposed to be there, which will disable the trap if you press it.

I dislike traps being a tax on walking around. They should be a legitimate challenge for the party, but also a tactic that the baddies in the next room use to delay the group while they buff themselves prior to combat.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: August 02, 2018, 08:08:53 am »

Pathinder 2e Playtest is here!
Although I imagine the website will slow down to a crawl today, but at last, it's starting!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: August 02, 2018, 10:13:14 am »

Managed to get the file but it's midnight so I'm gonna read up on my weekend instead.

Greatorder, are you sure you're reading the wording of the Command spell correctly? If this is 3.5e or Pathfinder, the spell doesn't let you force someone to answer a question. The spell text clearly lists the options, which are to approach, drop, fall, flee, or halt. Nothing about talking in there.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: August 02, 2018, 10:18:12 am »

Ohmigod it is taking forever.

Managed to get the file but it's midnight so I'm gonna read up on my weekend instead.

Greatorder, are you sure you're reading the wording of the Command spell correctly? If this is 3.5e or Pathfinder, the spell doesn't let you force someone to answer a question. The spell text clearly lists the options, which are to approach, drop, fall, flee, or halt. Nothing about talking in there.

The spell lists those as examples, but also says any one-word command is sufficient. So "answer" is technically acceptable.

PPE: Nope looks like I was wrong! Good thing I looked before looking like an idiot.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: August 02, 2018, 10:37:32 am »

I thought you meant Suggestion, but that's level 3 arcane (level 2 for bards) instead of a cleric spell like ZoT and Command.  I'm not sure whether it would technically help, since the subject won't obey "obviously harmful" suggestions and they have to sound reasonable.  Incriminating oneself via testimony is arguably pretty harmful...  And if it does work anyway, the ZoT is unnecessary if you suggest telling the truth.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: August 02, 2018, 11:33:10 am »

5th edition allows for any one-word command.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: August 02, 2018, 11:59:21 am »

It's a bit silly you can command somebody to "release" but not 'let go".

And before you say "well it's to defeat abuse of the spell" just imagine the opportunities for abuse in languages with strong word compounding. Backtowheredukommffromgesprungen!
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: August 02, 2018, 12:38:56 pm »

5th edition allows for any one-word command.
Yep. Those are given as examples. It's important to note that they can respond in certain ways. For example, if you command someone to run, and you meant run away, they may decide instead to run at you. In addition, they won't do anything that harms themselves, so you can't command someone to commit suicide.

I think older editions explicitly said a Command to "die!" would force them to go unconcious for a short time, or I guess otherwise "play dead".

In game I think I've only used Command one time.  I used "flee!" but IIRC they made the save.  2nd edition game.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: August 02, 2018, 12:52:14 pm »

Keep a list of auto-antonyms handy. See if the DM interprets your Command in any way other than "Pelor the Burning Hate erases you from existence."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: August 02, 2018, 01:25:57 pm »

Ohmigod it is taking forever.

The spell lists those as examples, but also says any one-word command is sufficient. So "answer" is technically acceptable.

PPE: Nope looks like I was wrong! Good thing I looked before looking like an idiot.
Of course, it makes them give an answer - but it doesn't mean they have to tell the players anything.

"Answer!"
"I refuse to tell you anything." is an answer, and true, but doesn't tell the players anything of note.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 623