Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845454 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8940 on: March 08, 2022, 08:22:31 pm »

"I'll just make a couple of minor changes to the history of the Warhammer World."

Been lately thinking of running a Warhammer Fantasy RP (1st ed) campaign, and decided to do some changes to the history. Well, as things tend to go, small changes begin to swell, becoming huge changes. So, now I'm at the point where I've reworked (or made a draft) the ancient history to the point that many things are significantly different from "canon" (doesn't really matter, though, as I was basing the lore more on 1st edition stuff before all the WFB retcons and edgy WFRP 2nd ed stuff). The original idea I had for the campaign has been ditched, and now I'm more thinking of some Bronze Age swords & sandals style Warhammer (or Bronzehammer, if you will).

I'm pretty sure this project will end up being scrapped when I realize I'm putting too much of my time into it, but hey, at least I've had a good excuse to read more about ancient Mesopotamia, Africa and such.

Warhammer was uh heavily influenced by English Imperialsim and Thatcherism. I'm curious how a modern take with the old systems would work.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: March 09, 2022, 06:54:29 am »

Warhammer was uh heavily influenced by English Imperialsim and Thatcherism. I'm curious how a modern take with the old systems would work.

Yeah, that's one of the charms of Warhammer with all the bad puns and such (though I didn't get the jokes as a kid when reading the 1st ed stuff). The 4th edition stuff gets pretty close to the old feel, imo.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: March 09, 2022, 10:53:39 am »

Idea for an evil spirit, which I am nicknaming Darklings for the moment.

Darklings are malicious predatory beings, which appear as fanged mouths on serpentine necks, which dissapear into darkness too thick to see into. They can only manifest in conditions of little or no light, they dissapear like the shadows they call home when exposed to bright light. Darklings are unable to physically affect any living being that has not killed another person, but they can be seen like any other creature and speak to anyone they wish.

Darklings know everything, and can only speak the truth. In theory this would be of great benefit to mortals, but the darklings speak in riddles and half-truths, only telling the full truth of any subject when it will lead the listener towards acts of violence against other mortals. Darklings willingly appear before the paranoid, the frightened or the angry, whispering to them of the things that will drive them deeper into dark emotions, hoping to drive them to acts of murder, after which the darklings can feast upon their pawn at will, slithering from the shadows to burrow into flesh and feed on the heart.

Darklings like to convince people their friends are conspiring against them, that their loved ones are having affairs, that business rivals seek to murder them, and other dreadful things. Sometimes the darkling is even telling the whole truth, it matters little to them. They delight in the mental anguish of their victim confronting betrayals real or imagined, supping upon every misinterpretated word, each misunderstood gesture.

Should the victim ultimately take their own life as a result of the darkling's words, rather than that of another, the darkling is able to infest their body. The possessed victim is returned to a half-life for a brief time, which the darkling uses to spread more mental anguish, writing letters from the deceased to the living, or bringing their host to a location where their body might be interpreted as a murder victim. Very rarely a darkling is able to truly possess their victim, restoring them to full life and taking up root in the back of their soul, guiding and influencing them for the darklings own sadistic pleasure until their body meets it's end once more.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: March 09, 2022, 03:28:38 pm »

Idea for an evil spirit, which I am nicknaming Darklings for the moment.

Darklings are malicious predatory beings, which appear as fanged mouths on serpentine necks, which dissapear into darkness too thick to see into. They can only manifest in conditions of little or no light, they dissapear like the shadows they call home when exposed to bright light. Darklings are unable to physically affect any living being that has not killed another person, but they can be seen like any other creature and speak to anyone they wish.

Darklings know everything, and can only speak the truth. In theory this would be of great benefit to mortals, but the darklings speak in riddles and half-truths, only telling the full truth of any subject when it will lead the listener towards acts of violence against other mortals. Darklings willingly appear before the paranoid, the frightened or the angry, whispering to them of the things that will drive them deeper into dark emotions, hoping to drive them to acts of murder, after which the darklings can feast upon their pawn at will, slithering from the shadows to burrow into flesh and feed on the heart.

Darklings like to convince people their friends are conspiring against them, that their loved ones are having affairs, that business rivals seek to murder them, and other dreadful things. Sometimes the darkling is even telling the whole truth, it matters little to them. They delight in the mental anguish of their victim confronting betrayals real or imagined, supping upon every misinterpretated word, each misunderstood gesture.

Should the victim ultimately take their own life as a result of the darkling's words, rather than that of another, the darkling is able to infest their body. The possessed victim is returned to a half-life for a brief time, which the darkling uses to spread more mental anguish, writing letters from the deceased to the living, or bringing their host to a location where their body might be interpreted as a murder victim. Very rarely a darkling is able to truly possess their victim, restoring them to full life and taking up root in the back of their soul, guiding and influencing them for the darklings own sadistic pleasure until their body meets it's end once more.

I *really* need to get an Earthdawn game together.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: March 14, 2022, 08:04:05 pm »

Not familiar with Earthdawn, have they already done the idea?

I find myself with an idea for a MTG themed RPG campaign rattling through my head again. Basic idea has been in my head for a while, since WotC started putting out their first crossver material for MTG and D&D, though annoyingly they've not released any material relevant to what I'd like to do. Phrexian material to be specific, the flesh and metal melding sociopaths.

Gist of the idea is that the New Phyrexians try to travel from their world using experimental technology, which fails partway through and results in their test vessel crashlanding in the setting the game takes place in. The phyrexian crew is mortally wounded or killed outright in the crash, and the PCs are people who get sent to investigate the explosion caused by the crash. From there an initial couple of choices present themselves, save any injured Phyrexians, or let them die. Partake of the Phyrexian Oil leaking from the injured travellers or avoid it, so on and so forth.

From there it becomes either the PCs as the vanguard of Phyrexia, gradually growing in power and changing form, pursuing their own versions of the Phyrexian ideal and reshaping the world in their image, or the PCs facing off against the creeping corruption that is occurring as a result of the oil seeping into the ground and reproducing from there, slowly tainting plants, animals and eventually people. In either case, the Praetors of New Phyrexia are trying to send more of their forces to enforce their own vision of Phyrexia on this new world, which will likely result in conflict with the New-New Phyrexians that are already forming and coming up with their own ideas.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: March 14, 2022, 08:41:20 pm »

Not familiar with Earthdawn, have they already done the idea?

Perhaps not that one, but their monster descriptions are pretty similar. Specifically the Horrors, which are more-or-less demons/demonic spirits who show up when magic gets powerful enough (which causes the apocalypse the setting is post-apoc from). They feed on negative emotions they cause, and get real weird sometimes.

Plus, it's the system D&D keeps cribbing most of their changes off of. Although it's a different system, so some of the changes are badly balanced (3.x skill system) or seem out of place.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: March 15, 2022, 07:15:29 pm »

I've been playing Crusader Kings a lot lately, and it's got me thinking about a World of Darkness Vampires game I wanted to run a few years ago, but never got any interest for in my group.

The fall of the Byzantine Empire, but from the perspective of vampires living in Constantinople. Venetian merchants, greek nobles, orthodox priests, arabs, persians, scholars and travellers from across the mediterranean, varangians who became part of the midnight aristocracy back when the northmen were still doing the whole viking mercenary thing. All skulking in the shadows of the empire and facing the arrival of the Ottomans who have their own vampires coming with them threatening to disrupt the social dynamics and power structures the vampires are used to, not to mention the risks to unlife and limb posed by war.

In particular I have the idea that most of the vampires have preemptively fled, following the destruction of the vampires in a lot of territory the Ottomans captured earlier, leaving only the most desperate, pious, patriotic or insane vampires behind. Leadership has fallen to an old, mad distant relative of the emperor who refuses to leave because he's confident that the invaders will be stopped, while the other vampires scramble to preserve their own holdings in the city, work themselves into an anti-Turkish frenzy or try to make contact with the foreign vampires to try and negotiate terms seperately from the ones the mortals will sort out.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: March 16, 2022, 12:01:10 am »

In the aquatic campaign I'm running, I've dolled out two curses and the party are loving it. (I tend to go for physical, non-mechanical curses, such as appearing to be a little gorilla) Got any curse ideas that I can toss on the pile? My party has pretty easy access to removing curses, and that's beneficial for the plot (returning to the central hub).

Currently: one party member got turned into an NFT gorilla, and got it cured, but passed on a curse of Not Enough T(estosterone) to give another player disadvantage on checks to flirt.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: March 16, 2022, 11:40:06 am »

In the aquatic campaign I'm running, I've dolled out two curses and the party are loving it. (I tend to go for physical, non-mechanical curses, such as appearing to be a little gorilla) Got any curse ideas that I can toss on the pile? My party has pretty easy access to removing curses, and that's beneficial for the plot (returning to the central hub).

Currently: one party member got turned into an NFT gorilla, and got it cured, but passed on a curse of Not Enough T(estosterone) to give another player disadvantage on checks to flirt.

One skill or stat increased, 2 decreased by the same amount. Chosen by RNG, and the player doesn't know which ones.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: March 16, 2022, 11:45:23 am »

Tiny army of darkness style heads growing from various places. Jumps to another party member/nearby person if removed. Leave alone too long and they sprout, making tiny fish-gremlin styled clones. Not directly dangerous, mostly, but a thorough nuisance fond of making noises at inopportune times!

e: have one of them sweat butterflies. Not sure how it'd work underwater, but you could figure it out. Someone leaving behind a trail of drowned bugs as they swim would be amusing :V
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:54:26 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: March 16, 2022, 11:40:41 pm »

Yalls ever make a hyper-specific homebrew?

Quote from: Tenser's Rideable Floating Disk

1st level Conjuration (ritual)

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 hour
Classes: Wizard
An improved version of Tenser's Floating Disk, after one wizard realized that there is no reason they shouldn't be able to use it to locomote more comfortably.

This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground.

You may command the disk to move at the same speed as you are while you are on, or touching, the disk. Otherwise, the disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. The disk is not slowed down by difficult terrain.

If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: March 17, 2022, 12:16:24 am »

e: have one of them sweat butterflies. Not sure how it'd work underwater, but you could figure it out. Someone leaving behind a trail of drowned bugs as they swim would be amusing :V

This sort of cosmetic curse is my favorite.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: March 17, 2022, 08:16:36 am »

The character is cursed to smell vaguely of catnip.  This minty scent is probably an improvement according to most other people, but the character inevitably attracts unwanted attention from every stray cat in town.  Cats may-or-may-not get high trying to lick the character.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: March 17, 2022, 08:22:31 am »

Everything he eats and drinks looks spoiled, but only to other people.  His dinner is perfectly fine, but to everyone around him it looks and smells like he's eating rotten steak and drinking stagnant pond water.
Shoes...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: March 17, 2022, 03:32:49 pm »

Idle thought, a setting where the only humans are vampires and other similar ancient undead. For metaphysical reasons, and a bit of fantasy racism, only humans can become true free willed undead, and all humans have long since either done so or died.

The mortal races, elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins and so on don't have records that predate the current state of affairs, so they don't actually know what humans are. They just call the species 'vampires,' because almost every extent human is a vampire and the others are barely recognisable. This in turn leads to weird conclusions about the origins of their own races, the possible origin of vampires and so on.

Elves point to the broad, brutish features and say that cleardy vampires originated from the same stock as dwarves and orcs, or are a crossbreed of the two.

Dwarves point to the tall, lanky bodies and violent ways and say clearly they're of elvish and orcish stock.

A rare few scholars theorise that the mortal races are descended from vampires, citing the presence of vampire-like skeletons in ancient ruins and artwork scattered throughout the world.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 623