Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 707149 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: To you, Commander, I shall bring fury, shiny and chrome.
« Reply #5310 on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:18 pm »

I dunno. Commander ironman is generally pretty easy if you don't mess up in the first couple missions.
Except for VIP missions. Fuck VIP missions on ironman.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:11 pm »

Or just be Beagle, and glitch the game to do your bidding.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: March 18, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »

Commander Ironman is out of Everyones reach. Unless your like Christopher Odd and have the stats memorized on everything
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umiman/screenshot/550931938597813167

I can't even remember the names of the difficulty modes, let alone the stats.

p.s: Here's the Tl;dr version of how to win on ironman
IS THIS MOVE RISKY? Y/N

Y -> DON'T DO IT.
N -> GIT GUD SCRUB IT'S TOTALLY RISKY WHAT ARE YOU DOING SEE Y

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: March 19, 2016, 08:28:11 am »

I completed the game on Veteran few weeks ago. I'd say it's more difficult then EW overall, even though middle-game (after the first armor upgrade/before skulljacking the Codex and first Gatekeeper) was really easy, much easier then EW ever gets. Beginning is really tough, though, and then after Avatars, Gatekeepers and Sectopods start appearing, it's difficult again. And the last mission... just fuck the last mission.

I'm now on my 5th or 6th attempt into L:I. Managed to get 6 missions into it without getting a squad wiped out. Armor upgrade is so close, and then it's bliss!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: March 19, 2016, 08:55:29 am »

You get my point. You need to sink about 100 hours into any xcom game to consider trying ironman Commander.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: March 19, 2016, 12:16:33 pm »

You get my point. You need to sink about 100 hours into any xcom game to consider trying ironman Commander.
I would amend that statement to replace "trying" with beating" and adding a "probably" in there somewhere.

I still think ironman is the way to go. The game has no intensity when you can just savescum at will.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: March 19, 2016, 01:21:27 pm »

Maybe now.  Around launch, there were occasional glitches (not many, but occasional) that really screwed me.  There was a sectopod on the other side of a train which I couldn't see.  My soldiers could see it apparently, but even firing on it didn't "decloak" it or show me what it was.  Then it wiped out 4 guys in cover in a house with the explosive blast (the lasers weren't shown either).
Also, and apparently this wasn't a glitch, I lost a random mission and suddenly didn't have contact with a zone.  Lost my radio tower, no notification at all, just suddenly had an option to "reestablish contact".  I actually thought this was a glitch at the time, now I just know it's a gotcha (and desperately needs a notification).

Ties into my main problem with the game, really.  I had a lot more fun when I was playing ironman (but not officially, only reloading on glitches or misclicks).  And before I got plated armor.  I was losing half my squad *every mission*.  Things were grim, but we were mostly succeeding with heroic sacrifices and a steady stream of cheap recruits.  Sometimes I got officers, but inevitably they would get shot or pulled out of heavy cover.

The most fun I had was taking out an Avatar facility.  I could have gotten all 3 survivors out if I'd had foreknowledge of the massive Advent reinforcement wave waiting for the objective (for no logical reason).  Instead of reloading, 1 guy escaped, carrying a corpse and valuable loot.  It was great.

But it kept getting worse, the aliens were advancing and I was messing with storyline research and autopsies.  The low point, which was also a great mission, was trying to abduct a VIP.  It was almost literally impossible to take the 2-3 advanced enemies per turn at that point, even sprinting for the first couple turns (and getting damn lucky).  I just didn't have the upgrades.  My elite officer (a lieutenant lol) had to leave four rookies behind and evac, triggering like 4 more mutons and 2 vipers on the way.

Magnetic weapons and max squad size helped a lot (though I was seriously upset to find out that you only buy the "upgrade" to a weapon once, I had no idea it was so cost effective).  Then plated armor...  The game didn't get *easy*, because it started spamming absurd enemies like codexes and sectopods, but I kinda lost interest.  Particularly when I started using mimic grenades haha (and yeah I heard they got nerfed hard).  It just didn't feel like a desperate resistance force anymore, but a bunch of superhumans who eat bullets and face off with demigods.  Which got incredibly boring in XCOM 1...

Maybe I can mod it to recapture that feeling.  Mods or easy tweaks probably exist to do all I want:
Buffs:
* No normal codex spawns, they hurt the mystery for me and their abilities are silly.  Presumably applies to gatekeepers too.
* 75% chance of bleed-out rather than instant death.  Current lethality makes no sense and is a waste of medkit/carry mechanics.
* Removed or significantly lengthened time limits, probably that mod where the time limit only starts once concealment ends
* Losing missions no longer sometimes (randomly??) costs territories

In exchange:
* No XCOM armor upgrades (weapons are okay, but this prevents the freakin double-inventory and other things)
* More Avenger defense missions (instead of like 1-2 per campaign)

Increasing the squad size would make sense but good cover is already so rare, and it would add tedium...  maybe.
Avatar project forcing progression is probably okay as-is.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: March 19, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »

Maybe now.  Around launch, there were occasional glitches (not many, but occasional) that really screwed me.  There was a sectopod on the other side of a train which I couldn't see.  My soldiers could see it apparently, but even firing on it didn't "decloak" it or show me what it was.  Then it wiped out 4 guys in cover in a house with the explosive blast (the lasers weren't shown either).
Also, and apparently this wasn't a glitch, I lost a random mission and suddenly didn't have contact with a zone.  Lost my radio tower, no notification at all, just suddenly had an option to "reestablish contact".  I actually thought this was a glitch at the time, now I just know it's a gotcha (and desperately needs a notification).

Ties into my main problem with the game, really.  I had a lot more fun when I was playing ironman (but not officially, only reloading on glitches or misclicks).  And before I got plated armor.  I was losing half my squad *every mission*.  Things were grim, but we were mostly succeeding with heroic sacrifices and a steady stream of cheap recruits.  Sometimes I got officers, but inevitably they would get shot or pulled out of heavy cover.

The most fun I had was taking out an Avatar facility.  I could have gotten all 3 survivors out if I'd had foreknowledge of the massive Advent reinforcement wave waiting for the objective (for no logical reason).  Instead of reloading, 1 guy escaped, carrying a corpse and valuable loot.  It was great.

But it kept getting worse, the aliens were advancing and I was messing with storyline research and autopsies.  The low point, which was also a great mission, was trying to abduct a VIP.  It was almost literally impossible to take the 2-3 advanced enemies per turn at that point, even sprinting for the first couple turns (and getting damn lucky).  I just didn't have the upgrades.  My elite officer (a lieutenant lol) had to leave four rookies behind and evac, triggering like 4 more mutons and 2 vipers on the way.

Magnetic weapons and max squad size helped a lot (though I was seriously upset to find out that you only buy the "upgrade" to a weapon once, I had no idea it was so cost effective).  Then plated armor...  The game didn't get *easy*, because it started spamming absurd enemies like codexes and sectopods, but I kinda lost interest.  Particularly when I started using mimic grenades haha (and yeah I heard they got nerfed hard).  It just didn't feel like a desperate resistance force anymore, but a bunch of superhumans who eat bullets and face off with demigods.  Which got incredibly boring in XCOM 1...

Maybe I can mod it to recapture that feeling.  Mods or easy tweaks probably exist to do all I want:
Buffs:
* No normal codex spawns, they hurt the mystery for me and their abilities are silly.  Presumably applies to gatekeepers too.
* 75% chance of bleed-out rather than instant death.  Current lethality makes no sense and is a waste of medkit/carry mechanics.
* Removed or significantly lengthened time limits, probably that mod where the time limit only starts once concealment ends
* Losing missions no longer sometimes (randomly??) costs territories

In exchange:
* No XCOM armor upgrades (weapons are okay, but this prevents the freakin double-inventory and other things)
* More Avenger defense missions (instead of like 1-2 per campaign)

Increasing the squad size would make sense but good cover is already so rare, and it would add tedium...  maybe.
Avatar project forcing progression is probably okay as-is.
I have a mod which guarantees minimum 1 Avenger Defense, and dramatically increases the likelihood of having more after your first (before it was like a 25% chance).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: March 19, 2016, 02:29:25 pm »

-stuff-
Yeah, all the difficulty and challenge for XCOM (regardless of the series) is frontloaded. Once you get railguns / lasers the game is won unless you fuck up royally. And I think most of us just like the ballistic, earthy-stuff more.

The final mission is total horseshit but you can replay that one as many times as you want even on Ironman.

I'm still waiting for my giant mechs.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:16 pm »

Yes, the game is really uneven because it's easy to screw up and run everything. If there was no losing condition, I'd play on Ironman, but I just can't keep the pace and what exactly is fun with replaying the same events over and over, with losing hours of progress? Yes, there are games where each playthrough is different, XCom is hardly one.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: March 20, 2016, 12:23:44 am »

Well, did you see the outfits in the DLC that just came out? Firaxis is one step ahead of you.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: March 20, 2016, 12:40:40 am »

Now I want a TBS set on top of moving vehicles, which change positions each turn.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: March 20, 2016, 12:56:35 am »

I may have designed a game like that.  Never actually wrote a line of code tho (game design ideas are a dime a dozen).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: March 20, 2016, 05:58:34 am »

Now I want a TBS set on top of moving vehicles, which change positions each turn.
Thats a thing. Think it is called Convoy.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: March 20, 2016, 12:32:45 pm »

Speaking of conversion mods, the fact that there's a helicarrier named the Avenger in XCOM 2 makes me want to see some kind of Marvel Comics SHIELD mod.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 469