Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1685050 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4920 on: June 21, 2017, 07:40:19 am »

It was pretty fun. My only regret is that after it ended and the Awakened Empire is on an empire-wide bender in celebration (and you have a reputation of +350 or so with them), you can't petition them for independence. I ended up having to declare war and cheat my way through the fleet battle, because there was no way I'd ever be able to win against a fleet with a power of 800k. But I'm now free of them, and looking forward getting back to conquering/vassalizing the rest of the galaxy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:12 am »

Resources are usually down to RNG, but I like to place an outpost in a region full of resource-rich stars. Helps to keep up.

Remeber that the humble naked corvette is incredibly strong.

As for wars: it's not worth dowing before you reach 2k+ fleet power because of how strong stations are now. But when you do, get ready to pounce on whomever is weaker (I like to use vassalization).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: June 21, 2017, 09:33:26 am »

Sometimes you can't win. If you can fight them off enough that you only lose a world or two, consider that a victory. They'll be busy or weakened later, and you can swoop in to get your revenge. Try looking for allies a little further away, too - your neighbors are bound to have rivals who might like to be your friend. Also, consider just becoming a vassal of a larger power for now - the AI can't annex you, IIRC, and you might be able to expand under their protection. Not 100% sure of how vassalization works in Stellaris, though.

Or then give up and start a new game, if the situation's unsalvageable. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: June 21, 2017, 09:40:39 am »

It appears I'm doing SOMETHING wrong now.

I used to be perfectly good at the game, but now I can't keep up with anyone. Some aspect always falls behind to a ridiculous degree, either I can't keep up sufficient fleet support, or my tech falls behind, or I don't have the resources for a large enough fleet, or I can't colonise sufficiently, and I wind up with half of my neighbours all deciding they don't like the look of me.

Part of this is the traditions. If one neighbor goes full tech they usually beat you if you don't. Same for military power. You have to plan on being unable to be the best at more than one thing, at least for the first half of the game. The trick is being good enough at a few things to cope with whatever advantages your enemies have. Part of this usually involves getting a few allies, preferably ones that are strong in areas you are a bit weak.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:21 am »

I'm actually having the opposite problem, and I think it's because of the More Ship Classes and More. The beginning of the game is basically a long period of simmering resentment while I build up a reasonably tall empire and the AI decides to colonize everything and its mother.  Usually one AI becomes immensely large, attempts to fight me, fields one fleet of about 20-40k, and is then crippled permanently following its destruction.

After that point, I go to war constantly and make all my neighbors into vassals.

(Then the Prethoryn come and the game is over, because the Prethoryn are bloody unbeatable. Again, likely because of mods)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: June 21, 2017, 05:21:01 pm »

I'm doing pretty well as a devouring swarm.  Took Wasteful, Repugnant, Strong, Fast Breeding, and Intelligent, and I don't remember my second civic.  Spamming research resources and grabbing any research techs I've gotten has put me pretty far ahead of my neighbors, and I also went for unity buildings to rush traditions.  Filled expansion first, figuring if I can build up an economic and tech advantage first that'll win me my wars later.
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: June 22, 2017, 06:27:47 pm »

For some reason, reposting these is kinda relaxing for me. DD#74: Genemodding Templates

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:12 pm »

Neat. Never actually gotten around to gene-modding before, but these do sound like good changes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: June 22, 2017, 07:07:25 pm »

I never noticed the fasces in the flag section.  Is that a concession to the forums?  I know they have some tendencies.
Shoes...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: June 23, 2017, 12:06:35 am »

I never noticed the fasces in the flag section.  Is that a concession to the forums?  I know they have some tendencies.
Tendencies? What are you on about? The only tendency that Paradox forums have are towards Paradox apologism, and even that only goes so far.

The fasces is almost certainly in there simply because it's a potent and popular symbol in southern European culture and has been since the days of Rome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: June 23, 2017, 12:28:58 am »

The Paradox forums have a hell of a lot of tendencies.  Like their obsession with showing off how many Paradox games they've bought.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: June 24, 2017, 06:07:03 pm »

So I seem to have worked myself into kind of a impasse-- I'm heavily economic/diplomatic (buying my friends...) so I'm on solid terms with everybody on my half of the galaxy, though we're different enough that nobody wants to federate. Due to the strength of my economy and my fortunate/unfortunate sheltered position in the corner of the map, I've managed to push my military capability to really high levels. If I choose to go on the offensive, I can either hit all my friends (who are currently nice body shields), or stretch all the way to the other end and start punching people over there,  which is also bad since my factions would go insane and I'd prefer keeping my fleet at home in case of emergency. Adding to the deadlock, the galaxy's been more or less stable for the last few hundred years, so unless there's a scripted event that pops up, I'm going to have to do SOMETHING here, or just say I have a galaxy where everybody's more or less happy, and wrap it up.

...Any thoughts?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: June 24, 2017, 06:24:40 pm »

Well, eventually a crisis will pop up.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: June 24, 2017, 06:27:54 pm »

Declare war on literally everyone.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: June 24, 2017, 08:37:12 pm »

Starting eating your neighbours in Liberation wars so you can get a nice federation going. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 632