Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687597 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Project Augustus
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2015, 07:29:13 pm »

sounds like HOI meets CKII meets Vicky2 in Spess.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2015, 08:34:43 pm »

7, 3, probably space?
Clearly a sequel to Marathon Infinity by Bungie, as the three AIs conquer stars to fuel their escape from the inevitable collapse.
It's so obvious!  PTW.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2015, 09:54:19 pm »

By god, if they do Stardrive 1 RIGHT, I'm buying this for sure. Even if it's the usual PI "broken on release, but fixed up later" thing, at least it WILL be fixed up, eventually.

There's nothing in those screenies that definitely say realtime battles, but it does look like it. Although, space movement may take literally days, as well as chargin' my lazors, so it could still be time-tick, just very pretty time-tick. And not to scale for ship/star system scaling (which would look silly anyway).

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:00:22 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2015, 11:58:17 pm »

... you know what'd be great? If those screenshots were a fakeout and this the prelude to a PI-style Spelljammer game. I'd actually buy that, I think.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2015, 12:57:35 am »

Fap fap fap fap.

A little disappointed that they didn't buy my idea of Caesar-stabbing-slash-adoption-simulator.

Edit: looking at screenies, I hope it will concentrate on the strategic level instead of tactical, the screencaps of all those ships just made me a tiny little worried.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2015, 07:00:16 am »

HRMMMMMMM.
One thing I really don't need is another moderately-ok 4x in space game. We have hundreds and they're all pretty much exactly the same with just a few varying mechanics.

If Paradox could come up with something really different (like as much diplomacy and intrigue as CKII) then I'd be really for it, but from those screenshots it just looks like a basic 4x in space with possibly a bit more character focus.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2015, 08:12:55 am »

Well, I would actually love a _good_ 4X space game. Can Paradox make one? Good question, my dear Watson, good question. And the answer is: we will see. Actually, since Space Empires IV/V, there has been no good 4X, as far as I'm concerned - and SE V is pretty much unplayable now (due to problems with graphics/drivers/DirectX/what-have-you AND due to totally not working AI). And SE IV... Well, it's getting really old. I would like something new in that vein.

I'm just afraid that real-time approach won't be the best one for the game.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:33 am »

Aurora but with graphics, Paradox.

Otherwise I'll be very, very dissapointed.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:21 am »

Moon on a stick please.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2015, 08:38:18 am »

Moon on a stick please.
Spoiler: here you go (click to show/hide)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2015, 08:42:40 am »

It doesn't even need graphics, just a better interface.

And a Space Pope.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:03 am »

Thing is, this won't be a 4x, since Paradox doesn't do those as far as I know (publish them, sure, not make). It's going to be grand strategy like their other 4 titles (CK, EU, Vic, HoI).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2015, 10:06:06 am »

Thing is, this won't be a 4x, since Paradox doesn't do those as far as I know (publish them, sure, not make). It's going to be grand strategy like their other 4 titles (CK, EU, Vic, HoI).
I don't believe the line between 4x and Grand Strategy is all that well defined. Judging from the screenshots we're seeing standard core mechanics that are heavily associated with the "space 4x" genre; research, production, credits, science. Ships, colonisation, diplomacy, planets.

I think it's not unreasonable to say that if you took those screenshots and removed the Paradox context someone would probably say it's space 4x. Perhaps the screenshots are just doing a very poor job at illustrating the mechanics but they're all we have to go on right now.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2015, 10:29:57 am »

Yeah, we need a bit more info to go on before jumping to conclusions guys. Yes we see it has most of the standard 4x tropes but we have no idea how exactly they're implemented. My hope is that the combat system gets done nicely in a grand strategy way where you plan out fleet comps and perhaps their general tactis or something and then it's done automatically when fleets clash and you get to watch the fireworks if you want. And I'd really like some sort of different approach to teching, anything really, just not the standard tech-tree stuff every other damn game has.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2015, 10:39:38 am »

Yeah, we need a bit more info to go on before jumping to conclusions guys.
No, I'm going to keep assuming this is somehow in Bungie's Marathon universe :P  They said 7 was important!

I wish I had more to add than "I'm interested and optimistic" but I don't.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 632