Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687016 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1590 on: April 25, 2016, 05:52:57 am »

I liked alot of things about Distant Worlds, but it seemed to always come up short of making me absolutely love it.

There IS one thing that it did that I've since wanted to see in other games but have been disappointed so far.
Specifically it started you pre-warp. And not just "two seconds away from warp drive" but there's like a half hour or so of gameplay between the start of the game and your first warp jump, and to me that made it feel really special. Really puts you in the mood.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 25, 2016, 05:57:23 am »

Doesn't Stellaris start pre-warp too? At least pre-starships. You need to decide whether to research colonization first, for example.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 25, 2016, 06:14:59 am »

The difference is in Stellaris even non warp ships can go interstellar with seemingly no problems at all. I mean otherwise how would wormhole civs get anything done?

In Distant Worlds non-warp speed was "you could literally finish a game in the time it will take this ship to visit the next star over" so not having warp (and consequently, having it) felt like a pretty big deal.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1593 on: April 25, 2016, 06:19:05 am »

The difference is in Stellaris even non warp ships can go interstellar with seemingly no problems at all. I mean otherwise how would wormhole civs get anything done?
Wormhole stations in Stellaris aren't point to point, they're more link fling beacons from star ruler. Each wormhole station has a radius around it. Any ship near the station can be sent to anywhere in that radius, and any ship in that radius can return to the station.

So wormholes are an A -> B -> A -> C type travel.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 25, 2016, 09:21:03 am »

Wormhole capable ships are ftl ships, just a different type.

Doesn't Stellaris start pre-warp too? At least pre-starships. You need to decide whether to research colonization first, for example.

No, I'm pretty sure you start with one of the three types of ftl engines and several flt capable ships.

As for starting prewarp, if planets were a bigger deal and more interesting, maybe. But as it seems planets don't actually have that many interesting things to do (and not like a, there's not enough content, but just purely from the scale of the game I would expect them to be fairly uninteresting). What are you going to do anyway if there wasn't flt ships for the first 50 years? Just scan your own system and wait? There doesn't seem much else to do.

In MOO2 if you start prewarp you can sorta micromange your starting planet and maybe colonize some other planets in your system. But even that's not very interesting, and this has less... Hum, maybe it'd be a cool option? But I can't see that many people taking it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:22:59 am by Criptfeind »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 25, 2016, 09:43:03 am »

That was basically my PTW post so I didn't even know what the track was :P
Even better!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 25, 2016, 10:34:14 am »

So IE is bad at plugins? Guess that explains things.
IE is bad at everything, really. To the extent that Microsoft made a whole new browser rather than keep updating it.

Too bad it's required to play Distant Worlds. Despite owning DW for months I've never played it because I can't be bothered to re-enable IE on Windows. With Stellaris coming out, I guess I never will.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 25, 2016, 10:36:11 am »

...what does DW need IE for? I'd understand if it was an mmo that still used ie for whatever, but as far as I know that game's only relation to browser stuff would be multiplayer.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 25, 2016, 10:40:06 am »

Apparently the game's help system uses IE.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 25, 2016, 11:13:05 am »

I'm really hoping they do a midnight release for Stellaris. It just so happens that I'm leaving for a trip on the ninth and I'd love to be able to play Stellaris while travelling otherwise I'm going to have to wait a while before I get broadband access again.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 25, 2016, 11:18:08 am »

I'm really hoping they do a midnight release for Stellaris. It just so happens that I'm leaving for a trip on the ninth and I'd love to be able to play Stellaris while travelling otherwise I'm going to have to wait a while before I get broadband access again.

It really depends on where you live.
From what I have read.. (Don't take my word for it though.).. Is that it will be released some time in the evening here in Sweden (I would guess around 6 or 7 pm). So it requires a little math to figure out.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24:02 am »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 25, 2016, 11:25:54 am »

A little math, you say? ;D

That certainly would be helpful.
Good job Aklyon.
* Ultimuh claps.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:52 am »

Apparently the game's help system uses IE.

Oh, and Windows Media Player.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #1604 on: April 26, 2016, 01:08:19 pm »

...what does DW need IE for? I'd understand if it was an mmo that still used ie for whatever, but as far as I know that game's only relation to browser stuff would be multiplayer.

Windows has an reusable browser ActiveX component which uses IE. The alternative is putting Chromium (or one of the wrappers such as CEF) in the binaries or using something other than HTML for the help system. It's actually a huge pain when developing Windows applications - having an application-hosted browser window requires using the ancient IE ActiveX control or including a rather daunting dependency on an open source wrapper of an open source browser.

A lot of recent web-based desktop applications get around this by using something like Electron, which is a wrapper around Chromium (the disadvantage is that Electron is not very friendly towards integrating non-html content). But Electron is a framework and not a component, so it's not a good choice for a game.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 632