Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686829 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1800 on: May 09, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »

Turns out my starting position was hemmed in by two xenophile empires who really didn't like me conquering and enslaving those primitives.  I did manage to ally one of their rivals, but once we stomped the two xenophiles together the rest of the galaxy (6 empires) allied against me, formed a federation, and declared war.  I've managed to fight them to a peace for now, but based on the number and size of fleets that started to show up I think my days may be numbered (it's not like the rest of the galaxy likes me enough to join my tiny alliance).

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »

Spoiler: Heres my civ (click to show/hide)
They're science hydras with (in my current game) neighboring fanatic evangelizing zealots. Clearly we're meant to be neighbors. :P

Not entirely sure on how the flag looks, but if someone wants them in their game anyway I'll go dig out the text Ultimuh pointed out.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:09 pm »

Alright, so the story of the United Republic of Earth thus far, purely in terms of foreign policy.  There's some interesting stuff going on domestically but I'm going to skip it and get right to the good stuff.  For those who haven't been following, we're an indirect democracy that believes in fanatic individualism and materialism.  My philosophy is to let ethics drift happen and use other means to keep my people happy.

Our first alien encounter was with a race of industrial reptiles of the planet Kloo.  Coincidentally, they completely match the prevailing ethos of Earth, capturing the imagination of humanity.  Our first encounter with spacefaring aliens was not as friendly.  It was with a race of anthropoids humorously called the Them.  They're insects but they look like lobsters.  More importantly, the Themlar foundation is a theocracy, which immediately puts them at odds with us.  To make things worse, the our next encounter is with the Boki, a military dictatorship of birds.  Obviously such a government consists of oppressors opposed to democracy.

The third spacefaring nation humanity encounters is also avians, but in a stroke of luck they're a moral democracy and they love us from the moment we meet.  Together with them, the Shantari Republic, we form the DAS, Democratic Allied States.

The Them, in the mean time, colonize a planet in the same system as Kloo and set up an observatory to aggressively study them.  This is unacceptable, we cannot allow our brothers and sisters on Kloo to face religious oppression.  I begin building a fleet of missile based interceptors to take that system for myself, as well as a force of marines.  As I'm considering my options, they form an alliance with the Boki: the Harmonious Axis.  In addition to being a seriously appropriate name, it means that we're on too even terms to win an offensive war.

Enter the Helvan Coalition, another nation of birds.  They're plutocratic oligarchs, basically a nominal democracy run entirely by the 1%, and their main priority is exploring the galaxy.  They aren't much interested in trade so I drop an embassy down and forget about them, instead focusing on building up my power domestically in various ways.  However, two relatively uneventful decades later I get an interesting offer: The Helvan want to join the DAS.  Now clearly they aren't a democracy in any real sense, but this aligns with our political interest and they're democratic enough that we can sell it to our people.  So now they're in, and we again have the advantage over the Axis.  I begin expanding my navy with new Liberator Destroyers that bring to bear larger missiles as well as point defense systems.

Before I can declare war myself, my bird friends come with an interesting offer that doesn't really live up to their pacifistic ideals: they want to attack the Harmonious Axis, with the goal of "liberating" planets to form a new democratic nation.  Its not strictly optimal but I decide that, yes, this is totally something that space NATO would do so I agree.  The war was annoyingly micromanagy but the on the backs of the allied navy and Earth's space marines we did it.  We spread democracy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The new state consists of Boki birds and Them lobsters living together in... well, harmony is the theory, and when has anything like this ever gone wrong before?  Their old governments have been replaced by an indirect democracy where everyone uses the internet to vote on everything.  If they develop a strong military I might let them into the DAS, otherwise I'm vetoing them because I want to conquer some of the Boki and Them worlds and I don't want another vote in the DAS that I have to appease.

Oh and we've discovered a nation out there that has overwhelming military compared to us in every category and is NOT a fallen empire.  Hopefully we can fly under their radar in the short term.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 09, 2016, 08:01:31 pm »

After having to restart (was boxed in by three xenophobes, and my mineral income was crap), I am doing surprisingly well. Got two allies in the form of pacifists (alliance name that got generated was Bright Pact, I liked it so left unedited), and already subjugated a space fox civ that was decadent fanatic materialists collectivists.

Does the text dump Ultimuh provided make them appear as a potential civ, or just as a starting option?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:03:20 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 09, 2016, 08:12:58 pm »

Does the text dump Ultimuh provided make them appear as a potential civ, or just as a starting option?
Just tested yours, and it seems like it would be both actually. (I think I may keep them around.)
This is a decent way to share empires if anyone wants them.

edit: Although you may want to give a warning if the empire portrait are from a DLC or a mod, because not everyone might have them.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:15:08 pm by Ultimuh »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 09, 2016, 08:14:40 pm »

The New Imperium of Man's national anthem is officially "Megalovania" with how sociopathic-ly murderous having Militarist, Spiritualist, and Xenophobe as your ethics causes. With our Glorious Divine Mandated leader and our acceptance of xeno slavery, the endgame of my small map test game ended up being just kinda gruesome, even for me. We enslaved multiple worlds and quickly turned the indigenous species and opposing civs population into shock troops to be loaded up and forced against their will by our most holy commissariat to fight in meat grinder combat AGAINST THEIR OWN PEOPLE, WHO WE THEN ENSLAVE AND DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

The New Imperium

Note, having weak means nothing when you forcibly conscript slaves to do ground battles for you.

If you wanna try em out:

*Edit, leader name is a place holder for now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:20:57 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 09, 2016, 08:16:52 pm »

I have a feeling that this line: spawn_enabled=yes is what determines if it can appear in-game as an NPC.

Also non-reptiles that like you (if you are a lizard) call you "beautiful dragons", which is just amazing.

Spoiler: Actual event spoilers (click to show/hide)
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 09, 2016, 08:45:32 pm »

My space alliance is getting really annoying.  Its difficult to declare war and benefit each of them, and they keep spamming me with invite requests.  I want to leave, but then they'll inevitably invite more people and form a federation (if you could click around on the different races it would be very obvious why) and then suddenly I'm the weak kid on the block.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 09, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »

Got the card for pisonics. I think I will be pretty much unstoppable by anything other than an endgame threat or fallen empire once it's through.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 09, 2016, 09:04:03 pm »

Amazing diplomacy.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:35 pm »

Welp, those badass space marines running around conquering everything?  Just died to a man in space to a single corvette because the retreat command is glitched.  GG Paradox.

Edit: I set wargoals to conquer three planets, which is one homeworld for myself and two normal worlds for my allies.  The Harmonious Axis surrendered when nothing but the homeworld had been conquered and gave all of them up... to me instead of my allies.  GG Paradox.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:36:06 pm by EnigmaticHat »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:32 pm »

What do you mean, glitched? It didn't work or something? You do know that it has a charge-up time and damages ships, right? Just checking.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 09, 2016, 09:37:23 pm »

As in it never fired.  I tried spamming the button, hitting it once and then waiting, hitting it from different screens.  It made a clicking sound but nothing happened.  The transports slowly died over about 3 minutes on fast.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 09, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »

Oh. Lovely. That sure sounds like a fun time right there. Yeah, no clue what that's about.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:28 pm »

Well in some real life cultures, giving gifts would be considered impolite.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 632