Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687489 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1815 on: May 09, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »

I have 70+ physics research and a 66% modifier to my physics research speed... and there's a stupid fallen empire trying to tell me what I can and can't do with it.  I want sentient AI to give me even more research dammit!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 09, 2016, 11:04:14 pm »

Great. I'm 1,5 hours in the game, my science ship surveying and leveling up. And then suddenly I hear a explosion sound and get a pop up. Some critical failure on my science ship lead to it explosion. <.<

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 09, 2016, 11:22:04 pm »

Threat from wars is weird. Again.

So one of my neighbours is a fanatical purifier. He declares war and assaults me with several fleets of around a hundred corvettes each. Somehow I defeat them all and stage a counterattack. After I've captured one of the 3 planets I set as my war goal the guy surrenders and I get all 3.
2 seconds later I'm getting sent insults by 3 other xenos I'm usually on very good terms with.

I look at the diplomacy screen and every single AI player is at -200 or worse, with a -300 or -400 relationship value for threat.
Hello? I'm the victim here, I was the one who got attacked. Even my war goal was only a third of whet my attacker demanded (annex 5 planets, liberate 3 more).
Winning a few battles and accidently killing a few populations with orbital bombardments don't make me Spess Stalin.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:47 pm »

Kinda disappointed with the mid to late game. I had some cool explorations stories going on, but those hit a brickwall when I started discovering other empires and eventually got boxed in. Now I can't expand, everything is explored and I'm in a pretty strong federation that can only declare war when I have the presidency. So... my galaxy is pretty stagnant except for the four years or so that I can declare war.

Also, diplomacy is kind of weird. If I declare war with the goal of taking planets from my enemies and giving it to members of my federation... most of the time when they surrender they give ME the planets. Not a big deal, but it's just an extra annoying step to distribute the new planets.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 09, 2016, 11:43:52 pm »

Only about an hour in to the game (still in the tutorial), but I really love the feel and ascetic of it all! Also it runs extremely well on my macbook which is a huge plus!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 09, 2016, 11:49:36 pm »

This just came up on steam as recommended for me.  It looks interesting.

So probably a stupid question, but this is like a 100 page thread, so even if I do a search I'll probably miss it.

I can't really do Real Time Strategy (lets just say last I played starcraft I got zealot rushed when I was building my first barracks) and I really like turn based strategy games.   Is this game Real time or Turn Based?  Turn based tactical and real time battles like Sword of the Stars?   Something completely different? Free pause strategy like Dwarf Fortress? Play Turns by email?  Play Turns by FedEx?  Football?  Chess? Tic Tac Toe?  Senet?

The trailers look like it's real time, but usually steam has that as a tag if it is, and I don't see that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:53:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 09, 2016, 11:57:49 pm »

Its real time with pause.  Like FTL but with being able to decide how fast time goes on top of that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 10, 2016, 12:00:38 am »

Sweet, thanks much.   Probably going to get a buy from me then.   A game on bay 12 with 120 pages can't be bad.

Except for LoL.  I hate that game with the fury of 1000 honey badgers.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:31 am »

I don't think anyone in existence loves LoL unambiguously.
Kinda disappointed with the mid to late game. I had some cool explorations stories going on, but those hit a brickwall when I started discovering other empires and eventually got boxed in. Now I can't expand, everything is explored and I'm in a pretty strong federation that can only declare war when I have the presidency. So... my galaxy is pretty stagnant except for the four years or so that I can declare war.

Also, diplomacy is kind of weird. If I declare war with the goal of taking planets from my enemies and giving it to members of my federation... most of the time when they surrender they give ME the planets. Not a big deal, but it's just an extra annoying step to distribute the new planets.
I would avoid federations and giant alliances for now.  They make the game more stalematey and AFAIK the AI will be slow to form them on its own.  There definitely needs to be some kind of restriction on having half the galaxy fighting on the same side; lord knows it made the pre-release stream super boring.  If you ask me alliances should have a scaling influence cost based on their power relative to each member, and federations should have a mechanic to encourage infighting or otherwise make them easier to break up.  Since their intended purpose is clearly to be like a CK2 realm but actually they're more stable and powerful than a single nation would be.

Your allies not getting their wargoals is a unintended behavior, a dev said as much during the Blorg stream.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 10, 2016, 12:24:06 am »

AFAIK the AI will be slow to form them on its own.
That depends on how aggressively you (or I guess other AI) are expanding via conquest.  1/3 of all the AI empires in the game (6 out of 17) formed an alliance within the space of a year after I conquered one of my neighbours early on.  Prior to that only 2 of them had allied together, just cos they liked each other.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1825 on: May 10, 2016, 12:36:42 am »

Spent about 3-4 hours on it so far. I skipped the tutorial because fuck tutorials. It's fun! I colonised a few planets, declared war on my fungus neighbours (because they stole a really nice system from me just before I could land a colony ship) and promptly got my fleet of 10 destroyers and 15 corvettes absolutely wrecked by their higher-tier weapons and shields. Apparently science is important. Who'd have thought.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 10, 2016, 12:45:28 am »

I played this five hours last night and what can I say? It is better than I expected. Paradox games have a habit of being quite hollow, but the exploration events make this atmospheric. I actually feel like the galaxy is huge and filled with wonders, like the tagline for the game was, at least unofficially.

Weak part is other empires, they feel generic and...random. They are mostly randomly generated so that is no wonder. Diplomatic interactions would need more work. Likewise, I think first contact - like the very first contact with intelligent life - should start an event chain that molds your species for good. It is bound to be a huge thing. Now you just get a couple of pop ups and that's it.

Still, considering how intriguing the base game is right now, I can't wait to see what it will be like in two years, especially after all the mods start popping out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 10, 2016, 01:05:30 am »

I've fallen into a noob trap I think.  I have a single, max size continental world that I've filled with Physics Lab IVs for shiggles.  But the thing I'm realizing is, that was kind of throwing money away.  The basic lab provides 3 tech for 65 minterals, a PLIV provides 1 tech for 175 minerals.

On the other hand, I've got over a 100 physics research and a 66% physics research multiplier.  The path I took to get there was hella inefficient but its working.  Takeway: don't upgrade until you've colonized and built the basic buildings everywhere that you can.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1828 on: May 10, 2016, 01:53:48 am »

40k mod is gonna melt brains

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 10, 2016, 01:53:50 am »

AFAIK the AI will be slow to form them on its own.
That depends on how aggressively you (or I guess other AI) are expanding via conquest.  1/3 of all the AI empires in the game (6 out of 17) formed an alliance within the space of a year after I conquered one of my neighbours early on.  Prior to that only 2 of them had allied together, just cos they liked each other.

In my game some fool accidentally
and so everyone clustered into a ton of alliances immediately. As far as I can tell galactic politics have pretty much stagnated since then.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:07:31 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 632