Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687205 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2010 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:38 pm »

Question, since the game is so new I'm still very confused about the pace early on. Maybe I'm just being bad about efficiently constructing resource collectors, but it seems to take a very long time to get the ball rolling. How long does it usually take for you peeps to get planet #2?

EDIT2: With that said, the planetary side of war is lame as fuck. It feels so barebones, I'm sure there'll be a DLC focusing on it. Why can't I do anything with the planets after I've occupied them? I've got a massive fleet hovering around and I've filled the slots on the planet full of xenomorph troopers, I'm a maniacal xenophobic miltaristic empire whose sole goal is to enslave or purge everyone, and for some reason I can't touch the buildings or the people on this planet I've taken? I want to be able to sic my army on the populace, purge them all or enslave them all and ship them off to some far flung colony, do some actual damage to my opponent. But the military aspects of this game feel very poorly thought out and designed for multiplayer only, so I'm not too surprised.

Well you can do all that (kind of), you just have to observe the ancient custom of "ending the war" first. I agree though that the game could do with some options for war-time atrocities. Maybe a system where you can purge, enslave and resettle the populace of a temporarily controlled planet during a war with the regular opinion malus + a "war crimes!" malus on top of that. Possibly make resettlement of slaves from the planet free or cheaper, since it's essentially your army taking prisoners at gunpoint (I don't really get why resettling slaves cost influence in the first place, I mean it's slaves, who cares?)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2011 on: May 12, 2016, 12:56:19 pm »

Things in need of rework:
-Colonization UI
-Environmental pop interactions (there are little to none)
-The ability to actually starve people to death
-Any actual ability to conduct diplomacy
-More maps, ones for sectors, diplomacy, federations, government types, ethics and so on. Also a pretty galaxy terrain map to bask in the lovely scenery
-Slave revolts
-Divergent ethical factions trying to break your Empire's galactic law or force it to their liking
-Fix the bugs where sitlog missions that require surveying of star systems cannot be completed because one of the star systems has nothing to be surveyed or already was surveyed
-More ability to scout information from other Empires
-More detailed spreadsheets
-Internal economy of trade, civvy ships?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:57:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 12, 2016, 01:14:21 pm »

So I made the Kea Space Program empire, based of a game you should all know by now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It does not use any DLC or modded content so it should be safe to use by those who doesn't have them.

Also, another thing I thought of..
Maybe we should have a separate thread for our custom Space Empires?
So they won't get lost within these discussions.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 12, 2016, 01:27:44 pm »

So... This just came back from the Beyond...
An Annomally took my Science crew for a moment then brought them back, they say they were in another area of space where all types of alien vessels just hung motionless in the void. They returned with their lives but for half their numbers. I continue for a month when suddenly the missing crew member arrive back aboard another science vessel. They say they don't remember anything and offer the ship they returned in as an option, the other was to destroy it...

Hope this was the right option. tbh though I don't see what it can offer me, it doesn't even have sensors and is powered by a chemical engine...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 12, 2016, 01:28:23 pm »

Though I just finished a rare orbital mind control laser tech, so if i could afford it, I could push them back with -30% ethics drift.
Fucking damn. And I thought I was well-off with a rare -15% building.

I have to say, the IGN review is pretty spot on: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/05/09/stellaris-review
Yeah, it's a pretty solid and accurate review, it matches my experience too. Not his overall verdict that it isn't fun, I've been enjoying it, but in its current state it's gonna be more like the ~70 hours I put into EU4 than the ~600 I've put into CK2. I think Stellaris has a better foundation to build on though, all the problems he mentions can be addressed with patches and DLC, although making sectors interesting, presumably by making sector governors matter, would be a really big one.

Another quick feature addition: The ability to click on systems to build ships in them, as you can do with troops in EU4.

We're probably looking at EUIV-style DLC (i.e. smaller and more frequent), with regular patches and so on.
That's not good. We need big ones.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 12, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »

So... This just came back from the Beyond...
An Annomally took my Science crew for a moment then brought them back, they say they were in another area of space where all types of alien vessels just hung motionless in the void. They returned with their lives but for half their numbers. I continue for a month when suddenly the missing crew member arrive back aboard another science vessel. They say they don't remember anything and offer the ship they returned in as an option, the other was to destroy it...

Hope this was the right option. tbh though I don't see what it can offer me, it doesn't even have sensors and is powered by a chemical engine...
I kept mine around for a bit then scrapped it. It doesn't seem to do anything.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 12, 2016, 01:38:29 pm »

Re: sectors.  I've been rotating every sector in my empire between industrial, tech, and energy production whenever I remember to.  I give new sectors huge resource grants and don't tax them, then within about 10-20 years once I'm sure they can be self sufficient I move them up to max taxation.  So far I have more energy and minerals than I know what to do with so it seems to be working.

I see a lot of complaints about hitting a point where you can't expand peaceably anymore in this thread... what comes after?
War.
Ah, so less CK-like and more 4x?  Wants me some elaboration.
I've played for a little under 30 hours in my first game and colonized huge swathes of space.  Still have more colonization to do.  It mainly depends on how the early game goes; sometimes people get boxed in by larger powers, sometimes you break out and everything is good.  Inevitably if enough time passes everything will be colonized and then it turns into EU4/ CK2.

So... how feature rich/barren is the post-colonization phase of the game? 
I see a lot of complaints about hitting a point where you can't expand peaceably anymore in this thread... what comes after?

Also, mentions about AI sticking to their alliance/federation through thick and thin, despite things, sounds... bad.
It depends, really.  You can start playing the game like EU where its all about interacting with other empires, mainly through conquering them.  Sometimes crisis will happen (like the Unbidden everyone keeps talking about) but that's not a sure thing.  Some of it feels a little half baked right now.  Alliances and federations are a bit... off at the moment.  Like they could use a little cleaning up and a few extra features before they're really going to start making the game more fun.

There's some fun internal stuff you can do with pops.  You can genetically engineer them to be different, build robots to populate worlds, and do all kinds of stuff with migration/resettlement/enslavement/purges.  The only real use of all this is to incrementally increase efficiency or to open up new worlds for colonization.  Beyond that you can have fun role-playing the kind of civ you want to be.
Late reply, but thanks for the answers.  I'll wait till it gets a few DLC in on discount, heh.  Got me a huge backlog anyways.

Also, don't forget, you might still be on the honeymoon phase of the relationship.  Doesn't mean the game is inherently bad, its a time of magic and you'll come out having a better idea of what could be improved...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:03 pm »

Whoop whoop, just made my first suggestion on how to improve the game, titled War Crimes!

I'm thinking the people from this forum are exactly the right kind of people to have making input on that kind of topic  :D

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/war-crimes.929786/

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 12, 2016, 01:56:18 pm »

Though I just finished a rare orbital mind control laser tech, so if i could afford it, I could push them back with -30% ethics drift.
Does your rare -15% building cost 5 EC in maintenance each, and a starport slot?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 12, 2016, 02:05:06 pm »

Quote from: Fredrik Wester
We are immensely proud of the Paradox team for putting together such a stellar release
Money is good, bugs and poor reviews aren't important. Not that this is the wrong take for a CEO, but I'm contrasting it to the "typical Paradox release" sentiment in the thread.

Does your rare -15% building cost 5 EC in maintenance each, and a starport slot?
I'm not at home, but I assume the maintenance is substantial. It requires the highest level capital, but still cheaper than a starport slot. But I'd pay that for those recently conquered worlds. Even though the ethoses don't have a ton of in-play effects, nobody wants to tolerate different opinions.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 12, 2016, 02:28:21 pm »

Soooo....this last patch break resources for anyone else? No planets nor stars have any resources I can mine.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 12, 2016, 02:38:07 pm »

As long as we're advertising the suggestions we've made on the official forum, here's mine: Allow the Violating of National Borders.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 12, 2016, 03:23:39 pm »

Sectors.

I'm not sure if they're unpolished, ill-imagined, or just downright bad, but they're definitely *something* that isn't good.

I get the idea - split up your empire to allow easier administration and to minimize micromanagement for the player. That's perfectly fair - and done well, I can see ample opportunity for inter-Empire drama. Apparently there's problems with the tile-placement AI (covering up necessary resources and/or rare resources) and they're weird with Observation Posts (as-a-player, you lose all decision-making ability). I completely believe all of those, but they aren't the source of my rant.

No, my biggest problem is that I legitimately can't tell what's buggy behavior for a sector vs intended behavior. I can't build on tiles, but I can build spaceports, control spaceport modules, and build ships from modules. But I have to jump through major hoops to get access to the spaceports... is that intended? Or a bug? If I build a colony ship, it builds just fine, and it can be used, but trying to select the colony ship then the planet is a losing affair - the ship doesn't really appear anywhere. It's easier to find the planet then choose colonize. Does the AI build mining posts, spaceports, etc on its own? Or a military? I've heard very mixed messages...

It's great that I can reduce micromanagement, and I'm not going to argue, but building out sectors just feels like I'm hobbling myself if I want to maximize planet usage and absolutely crippling myself for army output if I go to war just because there's so many hoop to jump through to build ships in sectors. It's just a pain.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 12, 2016, 03:32:39 pm »

boy I miss the distant world universe interface, where you can say build this here and ai makes it happen

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:57 pm »

Just coming out of my cave to say I'm playing on a 17-empire, 2 fallen empire, 600 star 4-spiral galaxy (default settings except for the galaxy type, I think) for my first game.. and I'm having a blast.

I made a point to hunt and troll the hell out of any Zealots, and the game is getting to a point where 'good folks' are getting into alliances together, and 'bad folks' who where gaining territory are now desperate, and I'm slowly conquering and liberating their planets. Already integrated 2 species, one atomic-era species I was passively observing since the started killed themselves in a nuclear war, and my 215+ human pop for years elected an alien Separatist President from a conquered 15 pop Xenophobic Evangelist for no reason, which made me go brainwash left and right and support human presidents since I can't just purge, resettle or enslave people, unfortunately.

My alliance has 7 members of varying sizes. I was aiming for more members but empires decided to band together out of desperation, I think.
I've been playing for 3 days and I still don't know what my goal is, but I guess I'll try to make my inter-species federation rule the whole galaxy by any means necessary.

This game is also a threat to my life, it seems. I forgot what Grand Strategy does to me. bwhaha

Only complaints about the game I have at the moment (which seems like bugs), are:
- If you create sectors, you can't control Observation Posts in that sector for some reason. Which means you can't XCOM younger races, and the base is always set as Passive Observation..which takes ages for anything to happen.
- Going to war when on an Alliance really should bump up the warscore limit. 4x4 fights only allowing you to take 3-4 planets every 10 years? Pretty meh.

And..
boy I miss the distant world universe interface, where you can say build this here and ai makes it happen
This. Being able to queue construction would really lower micromanagement.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:52:57 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 632