Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679413 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2400 on: May 19, 2016, 06:08:31 pm »

How long does the recently conquered debuff last? It's the main reason my newly conquered subjects are so unhappy and wanting to revolt(and I'm not playing as dicks and enslaving pops this game)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2401 on: May 19, 2016, 06:09:10 pm »

If you mod the game's build block radius to something much smaller, don't Fortresses become a viable military threat? Their cost will also mean you can't heavily fortify everything, but you can certainly turn an important hyperlane/warp off point into a no-go zone

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: May 19, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »

So is it just me, or do random home systems tend to be terrible?

I remember on my first game starting in Sol, I had a bunch of minerals and EC to mine, along with a bit of research. It really helped me get going. However, now I'm messing around with aliens who get random systems by default, and none of them are very good. Typically I get 2 of either EC, minerals, or research, and that's it. It's getting to the point where I'm about ready to always start in Sol, immersion be damned.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: May 19, 2016, 06:21:46 pm »

I dont know, I always go for random home systems, and half the time I get really good ones, and half the time really terrible ones :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: May 19, 2016, 06:39:42 pm »

Is it just me, or is their forum moderation weird? I've been banned three times now, on a generic "trolling" reason, with no real explanation or anything. And this is the same rules as the rest of the Paradox forums, which I've previously never even been warned on, despite posting plenty on the CK2 forum. Anyone else had such an experience?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2405 on: May 19, 2016, 06:48:25 pm »

I think we've just been spoiled by Toady's moderation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2406 on: May 19, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »

You gon get b& boi

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: May 19, 2016, 07:17:32 pm »

Is it just me, or is their forum moderation weird? I've been banned three times now, on a generic "trolling" reason, with no real explanation or anything. And this is the same rules as the rest of the Paradox forums, which I've previously never even been warned on, despite posting plenty on the CK2 forum. Anyone else had such an experience?
I think other sites don't get your nitpick-dere disposition whereas here we all know you.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: May 19, 2016, 07:18:46 pm »

But with the way fleets work, a war is pretty much decided by the first big engagement, so if they did that the only limit on blobbing would be how long you feel like eating war exhaustion.
This is probably my only major complaint about the game that I don't have any faith in getting fixed. It feels wonky and lazy in a "screw it, doesn't matter" kind of way. Hopefully I'm wrong, because there's a lot of different ways to do combat to achieve a lot of different vibes and/or effects, and "the bigger guy wrecks the smaller guy's shit" doesn't feel like any of them.

This is in contrast to the war score system which also doesn't seem like it knows what it's doing, but nonetheless feels like effort was put in to produce something other than "the bigger guy wrecks and then assimilates the smaller guy's shit."

So is it just me, or do random home systems tend to be terrible?

I remember on my first game starting in Sol, I had a bunch of minerals and EC to mine, along with a bit of research. It really helped me get going. However, now I'm messing around with aliens who get random systems by default, and none of them are very good. Typically I get 2 of either EC, minerals, or research, and that's it. It's getting to the point where I'm about ready to always start in Sol, immersion be damned.
My home systems tend to be okay. I don't think I'd have described any of them as better or worse than other random planets save for size/system goodies, so if Sol/they're "supposed" to be super awesome then I guess I would indeed rank them as terrible.

Never tried it, but that's alarming. Have you been able to narrow down what they took issue with?

Getting chain-banned and not knowing why hints at pretty terrible moderation and/or personal awareness. I wouldn't call finding that strange being spoiled.

You gon get b& boi
Galactic Xanyr Hegemony plz go
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: May 19, 2016, 07:34:23 pm »

Yeah, the fleet combat is utter garbage. Even fixing fighters and nerfing corvettes is just patch-work, ultimately. Combat's literally just "right click once, wait for it to resolve". That shit works okay when it's just masses of pre-industrial infantry, but it's fucking infuriating with spacecraft. It's like Paradox looked at how other 4Xes handled stuff and said "Lol, let's do it like EU" instead. They copied the superficial aspects in that they have the rock-paper-scissors weapon and defense setup (thankfully with more than three options total *cough*GalCiv*cough*), but didn't actually understand why those distinctions exist.

There's no point giving ships missiles if they're going to blindly charge into knife range with everything else. There's no point using anything except the most broken weapons (Torps vs. anything without point defense, those high-DPS autocannons against everything else) when there's no nuance and no ability to kite or maintain range. There's no reason to have variable sublight speed if everything boils down to a head-to-head brawl. The combat is dull, lifeless, and shallow. Normally in 4Xes I live for the moments where I get to carefully fight my fleets and win through skill and careful composition design, but not here. It's like less complex Civ 3 combat, and that takes some doing.

That's my main criticism. Everything else can be tweaked and fixed pretty easily, but combat is utterly and comprehensively shit at the most basic level. It's as bad as GalCiv combat, and that's literally higher number wins with a grand total of three weapons and three defenses, because at least GalCiv pauses the greater galaxy or lets you autoresolve.

I mean god damn, it's not like they didn't have SoaSE to copy the combat from, because damn near everything else feels like a pretty close replica of that with the Paradox spin on things. And hey, there's another thing they missed out on, specialty capital ships and active abilities for ships based on class and modules.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: May 19, 2016, 08:05:17 pm »

I think other sites don't get your nitpick-dere disposition whereas here we all know you.
Except the CK2 forum is ostensibly the same rules and mostly the same mods as the Stellaris one, and I've gone there for years about as often as you can before being considered a regular.
Never tried it, but that's alarming. Have you been able to narrow down what they took issue with?
"Trolling" is the rule cited, and the second time I asked for clarification but just got told to read the rules. Asking again didn't get good results and there's only so far you can go with that before you're just doing yourself a disservice.

Also, the way it's set up, getting banned also means you're banned from PMs so for the latest ban (that prompted me to mention it) I haven't been able to even see the reason for yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2411 on: May 19, 2016, 08:16:08 pm »

You gon get b& boi
Galactic Xanyr Hegemony plz go
Alien creatures, I speak on behalf of Xanyr Hegemony, the undisputed ruler of the Galaxy. Respect our borders and keep out of our affairs, and perhaps our mighty space marines will refrain from visiting your wretched worlds.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: May 19, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »

there's another thing they missed out on, specialty capital ships and active abilities for ships based on class and modules.
Battleships have passive auras based on modules. Lack of active effect is like the lack of active involvement in general. Which works in most Paradox games because you have a lot of unimportant little engagements none of which singly matter that much.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:02 pm »

Still, I'm kinda miffed about how anything larger then a corvette is mostly irrelevant in combat. Well, destroyers aren't irrelevant, but they're not cost effective to build en masse. Ships dont have big enough of an impact by themselves, which is kinda sad since we can't experience situations like "ahah, behold my secret huge weapon capital ship thing and despair" that pretty much every space sci fi thing with ship combat has.

Doesnt help that every ship model is of roughly the same size.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:02 pm »

Still, I'm kinda miffed about how anything larger then a corvette is mostly irrelevant in combat. Well, destroyers aren't irrelevant, but they're not cost effective to build en masse. Ships dont have big enough of an impact by themselves, which is kinda sad since we can't experience situations like "ahah, behold my secret huge weapon capital ship thing and despair" that pretty much every space sci fi thing with ship combat has.

Doesnt help that every ship model is of roughly the same size.
I can kind of see why they cut out the death starring, since it's fun but not entirely realistic... but I haven't played enough of the game yet to get a good look at anything bigger than corvettes (my whole navy is currently six of them) and I have noticed that everything does seem about as big as a grain of sand on jupiter.

Not to say my engagements with the DAMN CRYSTALS haven't been intense and bloody.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 632