Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687442 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3600 on: November 03, 2016, 12:49:22 am »

Launch drones/missiles in the general direction of the enemy, boosters trigger when they get within something resembling a short range? Assuming they use propulsion systems roughly similar to those of the spaceships, they ought to have much higher acceleration than manned ships.

And if you want to say "sure, but the targeted fleet could just move somewhere else", the same is true for any other space weapon system you could imagine.

"If" you ended up within one tenth of a light second of another vessel (and dear Hel is that a big 'if'), then a relativistic weapon (such as a laser, ion, particle beam or other near c device) would be near enough to instantaneous to successfully strike its target, a guided weapon on the other hand is extremely unlikely to be moving at any reasonably measurable fraction of c, and will not strike its target as the time to target is beyond any real engagement range.

The most practical application of drones/guided missiles in space would be for defending static emplacements, where you can control the engagement range, in any kind of space battle that involves movement they become completely useless except as 'maybe' a way to control your opponents movement.

But at that point you should kill your admirals and R&D people, because they're going to bankrupt you.

*Edit: Aaannd I just realized that I restated what Retropunch just said, albeit in a less verbose manner.  Great job me.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:11:26 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: November 03, 2016, 05:45:46 am »

*Edit: Aaannd I just realized that I restated what Retropunch just said, albeit in a less verbose manner.  Great job me.  ::)
Verbose!? ME!?  I think it is absolutely compunctuous that you accuse me of being a long-winded lout! Sir/Madam/Internet Person, you are a vagabond and a scoundrel, to the duelling green!

:D Good points NFO, there's also a strategic problem that you'd basically be fighting blind. If you were able to fight at any distance that allows you to engage targets against their will (in terms of, not having to say 'lets meet at exactly here at this time') you'd not be able to see if you'd had a hit or miss for a significant amount of time. This would make any sort of meaningful ship to ship warfare pretty much impossible.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: November 03, 2016, 07:03:07 am »

You are handy with your tongue I shall certainly grant, and in truth your words serve more to enlighten than befuddle, and thus mine own do seem rude in comparison.  Your demand for satisfaction is however, unwarranted, methinks, and I pray thee to reconsider, for truly I do hold you in great esteem, and would not care to spill your life's blood upon the field.

I'm fairly certain that space warfare will eventually be a thing, but you are certainly right that with existing and near future systems the viability of space battles is fairly close to nil.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: November 03, 2016, 08:23:56 am »

Stellaris acts like your standard sci-fi game/movie, where you don't enter orbit and obey physics so much as ignore it to fly directly to wherever you want to go, because people think space physics is too confusing for audiences to understand or something?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: November 03, 2016, 08:41:44 am »

Making a space 4x or RTS follow KSP physics would be a huge programming challenge with almost no practical payoff.

See: Planetary Annihilation
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: November 03, 2016, 11:05:10 am »

I know everyone seems to like corvette swarms, but a large cruiser fleet with a healthy core of battleships seems to trump everything.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: November 03, 2016, 11:32:53 am »

My friend and I started a multiplayer game after the expansion, now a late game event has come and the horrid tentacle horror folks from another dimension have appeared in his territory, which is adjacent to my territory.  We naturally panicked, paused and started building defenses all around, but the swarm isn't moving, not attacking, or conquering or anything.

is this a bug anyone else has experiences, or is this normal behavior?  Somehow I've only ever gotten the Unbidden before and they rapidly ate up surrounding space after appearing.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: November 03, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »

5. Lances are worthless.
Awuh, lances are awesome though.  I need to replay Freescape 2 sometime...  Now there's a "war in heaven".  Stuck in a dinky fighter-bomber as the capital ships joust.  (though naturally you have to tip the fight with dogfighting and precision strikes)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: November 03, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »

The wiki says the swarm defends their planets and sends out constructors and then colony ships instead of war fleets.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: November 03, 2016, 01:48:11 pm »

Stellaris acts like your standard sci-fi game/movie, where you don't enter orbit and obey physics so much as ignore it to fly directly to wherever you want to go, because people think space physics is too confusing for audiences to understand or something?
I deal with normal people every day. The general populace considers understanding even Aristotelian Physics a mental feat.

Newton is way too hard for the average man.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: November 03, 2016, 01:55:24 pm »

Honestly... I had considered myself rather smart until I started taking physics courses. Besides Newtonian Mechanics... well, it was really the first subject that didn't come naturally to me.

EDIT: Which is to say that, yes, physics is hard!!!

EDIT: COADE is a fun game to be sure, but I imagine it could get tedious on a massive scale. However... It would be interesting to see hundreds of ships battle it out in an relativistic way.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:57:05 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: November 03, 2016, 02:12:05 pm »

I'm telling you guys, its a bad idea.  There's are good reasons that "walks around thing that is in the way, sometimes" is the limit of what most RTS units are capable of.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: November 03, 2016, 02:16:06 pm »

No, its okay, if it works we get a unique and interesting RTS, if it doesn't then we get to watch his computer melt down from attempting the calculations.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: November 03, 2016, 03:38:54 pm »

I feel like tracking realistic physics would be neat, neglected by almost everyone as a feature, and demand massive efforts on the part of the devs. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: November 03, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

Looks like the Unbidden are getting rebalanced... and that Paradox is not getting the major problem with precursors (if someone else surveys their system before the end of the chain, it breaks).

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 632