Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1679480 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3675 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:50 am »

You can easily skip the Plantoid pack; it's all cosmetic. Leviathans might be worth forking over some extra money for.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: November 07, 2016, 11:00:23 am »

Get it on sale. It's a nice game and getting better, but it's still lacking in quite a few things. I'm sure there'll be a sale at some point. Paradox loves sales.

Also, 80 USD, what the hell? I hope that's for SotS, because I don't know in what universe does Stellaris with expansions get anywhere near that.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: November 07, 2016, 11:19:05 am »

Get it on sale. It's a nice game and getting better, but it's still lacking in quite a few things. I'm sure there'll be a sale at some point. Paradox loves sales.

Also, 80 USD, what the hell? I hope that's for SotS, because I don't know in what universe does Stellaris with expansions get anywhere near that.

SotS with all expansions is 10 bucks. That's one of the reasons I love it, I can buy it for people and guilt them into playing with me for as much as a lunch out.

*Minor fact checking later

80 Bucks was the package with all expansions and the nova edition. (70 USD for the standard edition, 90 USD for the galaxy edition)

More intelligent purchasing brings it to 50 USD (original game and the Leviathans DLC)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: November 07, 2016, 11:37:39 am »

If you can't wait and want to get it - GMG has it t 20% off. Definitely not the cheapest it's been, but it's better than full price, no?

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/stellaris/

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: November 07, 2016, 12:25:05 pm »

If you can't wait and want to get it - GMG has it t 20% off. Definitely not the cheapest it's been, but it's better than full price, no?

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/stellaris/
If you think that is a good price for you then go ahead.

But I would advise everyone here to try the unofficial demo first before buying it at its current state.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3680 on: November 07, 2016, 03:53:04 pm »

Well that's... dumb.

I enlightened a bronze age planet in the center of my empire. They became my protectorate, and the little circle around them became contested territory. I kept the mining stations there, but all the systems in it was marked as unowned. I didn't think much of it until my neighbor popped in and built a frontier outpost in the system (which has 2 of my colonies and the protectorate colony).

The result? The system is now contested by 3 empires, and him having that little blob of their own territory in the center of my empire gave them a big swathe of my territory. The borders that once looked like

X

is now

X
      /  \
___/    \____

And all the systems in that area along with all their stations now belong to my neighbor. Including a system with 12 points of science, a wormhole with another 5, a system with a 24 size planet that I was about 3 months away from completing terraforming, and my only source of pitharan dust. All that conquered by building a station without a shot fired while we have a nonaggression pact, and I'm the agreement breaking aggressor if I want to take it back.

I used console commands to destroy the station and closed my borders to him. Now my friendly neighbor is a bit pissed at me, but at least he can't do it again. Glad I'm not playing ironman.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:13:49 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: November 07, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »

Sounds like a bug that should be reported.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: November 07, 2016, 05:06:00 pm »

Goddamn this game still sounds awesome. I know I asked a similar question earlier, but there I was directly relating it to to SotS (which is the best sci-fi 4x), now my question is, is it worth the ~80 USD to buy the game and expansions?

(No, expansions aren't mandatory, but there's always that thought of: "well, maybe the expansions would fix all those niggles I had the base game" [Again, like in SotS.] if I don't try them. )
If you're hankering this much, you'll probably enjoy it regardless of whether you also fly into a screaming rage about it or not. At least, that's been my experience.

That said, it does go on sale often, so if you can wait six weeks you'll be able to get a better deal. On the base game, at least, dunno if the DLC has been out long enough.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: November 07, 2016, 07:19:40 pm »

I know that when Leviathans came out, the Plantoid pack went on sale by at least 25%. Only reason I got it, really.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3684 on: November 07, 2016, 11:29:21 pm »

Been goofing around with different settings. I just realized if you start as Commonwealth of Man it generates a United Nations of Earth empire of the same race in Sol on Earth - but doesn't generate the nearby stars that it normally generates from them and always puts them on a continental world. You can make any edit you want to the Commonwealth as long as you only save the changes one time (so it keeps the flag, editing the edited empire loses it). So you can make the United Nations of Earth spawn in as crazy lizard people with desert preference, but they won't have any nearby colonies spawned in like normal if they spawned randomly and their homeworld will be 20% habitability.

I had one game where it made Sol RIGHT by Deneb, which is funny given the lore.

Also found out that if two races share the same traits, portrait, and name - they are treated as the same race. So it is actually possible to create starts with multiples of the same race if you wanted to play out some kind of ideological war between the same species.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:37 am »

Finally made contact with a bunch of other civ. As expected from beign limited to only three worlds and with the science bonus from the Technosphere, no one is my equal in tech. Luckily, I run a Military Dictatorship with the Grand Fleet edict so with a maxed naval capacity of 70 I'm also one of the strongest. My plan for now is either terraforming or enlighting a steam age civ who have a preference that fits a couple of world around my territories.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: November 08, 2016, 12:25:00 pm »

So I've gotten a planet as a wargoal and its in a system with planets belonging to another civ (the one I was at war with) - how can I take over that system without going to war with them again?

On a side note, warscore seems really, really rubbish. I was at war with a civ and was absolutely destroying them - they had pretty much no navy, and I took their capital planet - 22% warscore. I won every battle and destroyed pretty much everything I could see. Granted they had a big empire, but I only just managed to get it up enough to win some of my war goals after years of complete domination.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: November 08, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »

So I've gotten a planet as a wargoal and its in a system with planets belonging to another civ (the one I was at war with) - how can I take over that system without going to war with them again?
Probably the only way is to wait for that planet to rebel or some other empire declares war on them and wants that planet to be liberated or something, then vassalize that planet and intergrate them 10 years after that.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: November 08, 2016, 03:02:40 pm »

I'm still kinda baffled there doesnt seem to be a way to ask for certain systems rather than planets as wargoals, not that I've seen anyway, altough I'm pretty sure I saw something like that in previous versions several months ago, and now I simply can't find the option somehow. Recently I've found the infinity machine in one of them but its in someone else's territory and there isn't a single planet nearby.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: November 08, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »

I'm still kinda baffled there doesnt seem to be a way to ask for certain systems rather than planets as wargoals, not that I've seen anyway, altough I'm pretty sure I saw something like that in previous versions several months ago, and now I simply can't find the option somehow. Recently I've found the infinity machine in one of them but its in someone else's territory and there isn't a single planet nearby.

Yeah, it really doesn't make sense to just ask for planets. I get that it allows a bit more granularity and that the wargoals for systems would be necessarily higher, but the situation I'm in now kinda doesn't make sense.

I think the whole wargoal/warscore thing needs to be shook up as it just made no sense that I was absolutely destroying them in every single way, had invaded half their planets and took out all of their fleet, just so I could only just hit enough warscore to get two very measly planets. More than that, I had to play ping-pong with their 80 power fleets for about 20 years.

Previously it didn't work as you could just win a very slow war of attrition (I once won a war that I was hopelessly outnumbered in just by letting them come to my station/fortress nets), but this way seems way too difficult to work up the warscore. There should be a bit of an 'overwhelming odds' modifier, where they're just never going to be able to build up a fleet that can resist you no matter what.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 632