Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687265 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3750 on: November 12, 2016, 06:06:47 pm »

Decided to do a little description of my UN of E game's world for the hell of it

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: November 12, 2016, 09:30:46 pm »

Sorry for the wall of text! D:
@Tiruin, I don't know about the goverment glitch you've gotten yourself into, is it possible to hold an emergency election?  Or change government types to say, a 5 year democracy and then change back after a vote goes through?

As for the science ship crash, I bet that's happening because science ships set to avoid hostiles try and flee themselves automatically as soon as it's able, and you clicking the retreat is most likely causing it to double-flee and break the game.
IN 14 years, yes. :P Because somehow you have to 'change the government with the 20 year cooldown' once you unlock the advanced governance types.

Also the science ship was set to passive because 'wow let's run because there's an enemy station I'll never touch on the way'. -_-
However the same holds true for BOTH when I had science ships in passive and evasive. :-\ (Although evasive usually blew up before that, because of obvious reasons :P)
@Tirun/Everyone,
I also had the crash on manual retreat from science ships. Doesn't seem to make a difference what stance they're set at. Lost two ships to that as there was just nothing I could do :(
Woo, someone else who has the thingy with me :D
...Now to collaborate what even happened :I

How is current weapon balance?
Is strike aircraft useful?
Do missiles still suck except against heavy shielded ai designs with no PD?
1. Plasma is best. Except against shields.
2. Kinetic is good overall.
3. Giga Cannon and artillery is great.
4. Energy Torpedoes are good against shields. They're also immune to PD.
5. Lances are worthless. (They did just patch this so no idea if this is still true)
6. Everything else is meh.
Does anyone know the tech tree? As in visible tech tree rather than 'connect the artistic tech squares' on the wiki? :P
I've been floundering about wondering which is best, and being a mil. dictatorship with all the choices doesn't help ;~;

Like, energy torpedoes. Only use I've got for corvettes once I go cruiser+ is for torpedo boats.

Then try verifying integrity of game cache (right click game -> Properties -> Local Files tab). In theory, that's the default way to fix something obviously broken with the game (meaning obvious to Steam, corrupted files or the like). You can also try that first if you don't want to bother testing the mod.

If that doesn't work you might try uninstalling and reinstalling it completely, though with your internet speeds... :'(
I did all that and it's all verified ;~;
And Beautiful Universe only touches graphics (so I can do achievements on ironman with wonderful backgrounds :P)
And yes. My internets. I've been having trouble even loading B12 lately because of the interrupting speed. :'(

Amoeba Flagella are pretty nice if you can get them, totally piercing shields and ignoring half the enemy's armor, giving them a damage output almost as good as top-tier bombers.
Of course, PD will shred them.

One nice thing I've seen from Scout craft is that they themselves serve as PD, shooting down enemy missiles long before they get close enough to serve as a threat to your ships.
Could I ask a tutorial about fighters and scout craft and which can be used against what?

...I would have the in-game tutorial pop up for me but I had it disabled and it takes long to even get to that point, other than clicking 'don't see again' every single time. :-\
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:35:05 pm by Tiruin »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: November 13, 2016, 09:12:48 am »

Amoeba Flagella are pretty nice if you can get them, totally piercing shields and ignoring half the enemy's armor, giving them a damage output almost as good as top-tier bombers.

One nice thing I've seen from Scout craft is that they themselves serve as PD, shooting down enemy missiles long before they get close enough to serve as a threat to your ships.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at how good they are. They're tier 2.75 bombers, and if you get them first you can basically ignore the whole small craft tech chain, as it saves you years for a VERY minor upgrade to your strike craft

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: November 13, 2016, 09:47:03 am »

Not just that, the game seems abnormally stable for a PI game. I can't recall ANY crashes at all (barring start up crashes with mods that aren't playing nice)
Synchronisation is pretty awful tho. I've had lots of synch issues with it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 09:09:57 pm by PanH »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: November 13, 2016, 11:54:21 pm »

Nope. I can't recall having any crashes. Might be something to do with your system.

Not sure where the crashlogs are stored, but if you can find them it may be an idea to go to the forums and drop them off there.
As in, when you've a science vessel with a leader caught in combat, then you press manual retreat (as in you live for the 30-ish days? :P), the game crashes?
Not just that, the game seems abnormally stable for a PI game. I can't recall ANY crashes at all (barring start up crashes with mods that aren't playing nice)
:(
All I want is to play with my empire pretty well. And giant battleships. Those too.  :-\
(Though somehow the steam achievements don't even activate for some reason -_- I've heard that even if your net dies while the ironman game is going, it'll still work as long as the checksum [unmodded] isn't changed...but I've never even gotten the 5000 EC OR 'complete a trade deal' achievements >_>)
Thanks for the advice though everyone c:

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at how good they are. They're tier 2.75 bombers, and if you get them first you can basically ignore the whole small craft tech chain, as it saves you years for a VERY minor upgrade to your strike craft
Wait...you mean the tech I can get around 'in the first decade just by corvettes or by just meeting those amoebas' is better than nearly half a century worth of tech for hangars? o_O
Really keeping notes on the tech here. And thoroughly wondering in the mid-game, if Cruisers seem to be the basic workhorse given their general variety over destroyers and corvettes along with Battleships as backup. (It seems that cruisers move to the front MORE than destroyers for some reason? But they have as bad an evade as Battleships.)

What does the "Track" value do for ships? And is Evade a 'pure' value, or is it countered by Track or something?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:56:05 pm by Tiruin »

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: November 14, 2016, 12:15:32 am »

afaik Track nullifies Evade.

20 track VS 40 evade = you effectively have 20 evade instead of 40
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: November 14, 2016, 02:04:47 am »

Waaaaait, scouts are better than fighters or bombers? That makes no sense!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: November 14, 2016, 07:52:23 am »

As I understand it, scouts are the precursors to fighters, in that both will act as point defense and deal with missiles and enemy strike craft. bombers/amoeba, on the other hand, actively go after the enemy ships and ignore missiles and strike craft.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:36 pm »

This has probably been asked before, but under default conditions, does Stellaris ensure that the closest AI power to you at start is someone with diametrically opposed ideologies?  Because that's been my experience over more than a dozen games.

Turning off some of the game start options sounds like it would randomize things more but I haven't seen much effect.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: November 15, 2016, 01:16:19 am »

I don't think they have to be diametrically opposed as in perfectly inverted from you, but being Surrounded By Assholes appears to be the rule in the only game I've properly played post-patch.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: November 15, 2016, 01:34:38 am »

I'm not prepared to spend money on this as incomplete as it is, but I gotta say from watching some players, Xenophobes are not viable at all and it could be fixed. I think they could be rebalanced to work pretty easily, because their problem is a clear one: They have no way to deal with alien pops or to conduct diplomacy. I hope you're magically listening Paradox, every other dev seems to visit Bay 12.

My thoughts:

- Add a third option to slave reproduction, giving us Allowed, Balanced, and Prohibited. The last will result in slave pops slowly dying off without as severe a penalty as the purge.

- Add a migration treaty variant to expel pops from the empire to either another or space, given that they're fleshing out fleet-based civilizations soon this is hopefully already in the cards. Can also get rid of troublemaking ethic drifters, for that matter. This could let the Xenophobe avoid a diplomacy penalty at all, instead spending resources.

- Familiarity breeds contempt, reduce xenophobia and atrocity penalties by distance between the closest borders of empires. "People" on the other side of the galaxy shouldn't care that much about what some random empire is doing unless they're into democracy and friendship or some other mental illness.

- Maybe an opinion bonus for Xenophobes who don't border each other to cancel out the xenophobia malus, like "Mutual Isolation". Balance with a more intense malus for bordering Xenophobes, "Imminent Threat".

I think just a few changes like these would make xenophobes more viable for both players and AI so they have a chance to become galactic powers instead of trouble spots to have to roll over and integrate. Even pacifists don't get hit with as bad a stick, and don't get me started on xenophobic pacifists...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: November 15, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »

Xenophobe AI should also get a bit of an over-time bonus when you don't interact with them. Like sort of "You haven't bothered us lately so we're not quite so bothered by you, unlike those jerkholes who keep pushing into our borders and trying to *ptoo* "trade" with us."

So you can occasionally work with them if it's only once in a while, but the more you try and push into them diplomatically, the more repulsed by your hideous insectoid carapace they are.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: November 15, 2016, 01:37:34 pm »

Simply put, I don't think there is enough malus to having a multi-species empire to make xenophobe trait viable.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: November 15, 2016, 05:22:43 pm »

Where I'd really like to see xenophobes shine is in areas that don't exist yet but really should. Specifically trade/influence/neighbor interaction type stuff. You could gain bonuses if you can stop alien trade from corrupting your citizens and penalties if it does, be incredibly resistant to espionage efforts, or have remarkable control over what your citizens think of any other given empire, greatly reducing the penalties and hoops most other empires have to go through trying to change their diplomatic situation with each other.

Without that kind of nuance, the hammer solutions of +30% border range or +15% weapon damage or +10% happiness at war or whatever are probably going to feel wonky, not make perfect sense, and find it really hard to compensate for what are an entirely separate set of problems.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: November 15, 2016, 08:23:15 pm »

Yeah I think the Klingon Empire would have a cultural bonus against infiltration.
Even if you manage to look like a Klingon (rubber forehead), and drink like a Klingon (ethylredoxrazine), you're still going to get the crap beaten out of you repeatedly.  And then they might get suspicious.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 632