Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687537 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5220 on: August 16, 2017, 10:25:36 am »

The right mods make the game much more engaging at least. I have about 25 or so mods I use regularly, and tend to add one or two as I think something else needs expansion.

The core mods I use are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:58 am »

I like NSC&M, but it definitely needs some rebalancing work. Certain ships such as Battlecruisers and dreadnoughts replace rather then supplement the original models, and even internally, once you have carriers you never have a reason to build light carriers again.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:20 pm »

Yeah, in stellaris the lack of cool sci-fi stuff kind of annoys me.  I mean, they have some of it, but they lack.. something.
Story.

No, I'm serious. Even games like Civ have a story: Tribe rises from being stone-age grouping of people to a intercontinental war-machine/culture/diplomatic powerhouse/scientist haven. Stellaris is just a tad too open-ended and fluff light to have any kind of story to it - Events could have been used to fill the void but really the only ones I know of that are triggered by time or you doing something you have to do are the crises, which are responded to by basically everyone exactly the same way, because even pacifists figure out pretty quickly that the Unbidden make poor friends.

Having a deeper, less wide tech tree won't fix that but it's a step forward.

Ship Power Stations: Compatible with NSC, gives dedicated reactor slots so you don't have to fill half a ship with reactors.
[/spoiler]
I've always felt there should be more tiers of reactors and they should be rarer techs (also they should start at fusion, fluffwise, and take a bit longer to get to ZP and beyond. It's irritating how little each ZP reactor seems to power on its own - I mean, they're literally drawing power from nothing at all at rates several times faster than even the energy gained from having a shipboard star, they really ought to be able to power more than just a few railguns.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: August 16, 2017, 01:48:31 pm »

I think its cause Stellaris has gone into the deep end of multiplayer 'balance', rather then substance that would normally be put into a singleplayer game.

Not a lot of room for atypical stuff when you also have a competitive(?) multiplayer portion to worry about.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5224 on: August 16, 2017, 01:51:03 pm »

I think its cause Stellaris has gone into the deep end of multiplayer 'balance', rather then substance that would normally be put into a singleplayer game.

Not a lot of room for atypical stuff when you also have a competitive(?) multiplayer portion to worry about.
vomit.png

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: August 16, 2017, 05:46:46 pm »

Well, I guess that's where mods come in.

The Singleplayer at least desperately needs some debalancing.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: August 16, 2017, 07:48:00 pm »

Well, I guess that's where mods come in.

The Singleplayer at least desperately needs some debalancing.

That is a fantastic quote.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:22 pm »

Finally saw the Horizon Signal chain to its end. Unfortunately, I had shit luck otherwise through the entirety of that game (EVERYONE around me had the same planet preference, so it was a mad scramble to colonize) and I was being warred to death by the time I finished. I thought about picking the bad ending, but opted not to.

What was shall be.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: August 17, 2017, 01:28:48 am »

Just looked up that event chain.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:00 am »

Just looked up that event chain.

Um, the entire premise of the event is about an infinite recursive amount of harems for the one big dude.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: August 17, 2017, 12:17:48 pm »

Horizon Signal is fun, I just wish it somehow reflected in the galaxy at large. Like, had a reaction from Fallen Empires or your neighbors due to a black hole appearing and stuff. There is the interaction with the Infinity Machine, but nothing else. I think that is my problem with Stellaris in general. It has so many moving parts that don't interact with each other and it makes the world feel sort of implausible.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: August 19, 2017, 10:02:53 am »

Ded Diary 82

I'm mostly reposting this one because of what they're saying the next one is about.

Spoiler: MACHINA VULT (click to show/hide)
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: August 19, 2017, 10:11:48 am »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: August 19, 2017, 10:13:28 am »

Synthetic God
Why do I like this so much?
It is a very nice synthwave piece. Very 80s, very blade runner.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: August 19, 2017, 10:45:21 am »

Nice track. Reminds me a little bit of Space Crusade. Thanks for linking in their dev posts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:48:33 am by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 632