Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687436 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5670 on: January 04, 2018, 02:08:50 pm »

You should add more tech divergence to that list.
What kind of tech divergence?

Things like needing certain resources to research and use certain techs, thus making empires more unique and systems more interesting on a strategic level.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:10:36 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: January 05, 2018, 12:04:03 am »

reminds me of the "sword of the stars" games tech tree... that had a bit of randomness in what techs are available each game

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: January 05, 2018, 02:33:49 pm »

I liked that feature in SotS. Would be great if there was an option for "random" tech and also for a more traditional tech tree.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: January 05, 2018, 03:37:37 pm »

The random tech tree in SotS is really cool at first but it eventually became (for me at least) like "Oh. I failed a 90% roll to break into this part of the tech tree. I guess I won't have this option and I'll just be weaker for the rest of the game."

I think it'd be a pretty cool option though, to at least have it as an option. Especially if the game had a lot more depth then it currently does, with multiple paths to develop your nation and such so you could have meaningful different tech paths and weighting of certain techs.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: January 05, 2018, 04:14:11 pm »

Anyone here play the new horizons star trek mod?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:30 pm »

Anyone here play the new horizons star trek mod?

i have. it's good but so slow. so slow.

content continues to improve, of course. not sure the performance does (or will ever) make it worth it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: January 06, 2018, 12:18:28 pm »

I've been playing a federation game on the full map for 4 days, and it's only 2271. The slowdown from the early game is very noticeable, but so far I don't really mind.

There's the smaller whole galaxy scenario, which I haven't tried yet, and there's an alpha/beta quadrant scenario (I don't know if that leaves out the Borg or if they show up via events), too, and those should have better performance.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: January 06, 2018, 02:17:39 pm »

I've been playing a federation game on the full map for 4 days, and it's only 2271. The slowdown from the early game is very noticeable, but so far I don't really mind.

There's the smaller whole galaxy scenario, which I haven't tried yet, and there's an alpha/beta quadrant scenario (I don't know if that leaves out the Borg or if they show up via events), too, and those should have better performance.
I never actually managed to reach a crisis due to the slowdown, but I just rummaged around through the files a bit.  It looks like the only crises that would be considered like that are the Mirror Universe and Undine/Species whatever at present, but the latter relies on the Borg existing to stir them up.  If we wanted to talk crises for the smaller maps, the Borg and Dominion would make obvious and great options, but I think they tend to focus on the full galaxy map where those empires are already available for regular play.

I do enjoy it, and they do some interesting things with the game, but it does drag noticeably on my poor old machine even with the smallest 500 star Alpha/Beta Quadrant map. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:21:54 pm by Culise »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: January 06, 2018, 02:26:30 pm »

The random tech tree in SotS is really cool at first but it eventually became (for me at least) like "Oh. I failed a 90% roll to break into this part of the tech tree. I guess I won't have this option and I'll just be weaker for the rest of the game."

I think it'd be a pretty cool option though, to at least have it as an option. Especially if the game had a lot more depth then it currently does, with multiple paths to develop your nation and such so you could have meaningful different tech paths and weighting of certain techs.
Different techs for different empires would be neat if it wasn't (100% at least) random. But right now the game is simplistic enough that I'm not really sure how that could work; It's not like there's a real diplomatic game, espionage, or (civilian) economy. It's mostly ship techs, government techs, and building techs.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: January 07, 2018, 11:01:19 am »

Anyone have a successful strategy for forcing a white peace with an empire twice your size? Legit, I cannot possibly match them on the field. At absolute maximum time before first engagement I can muster a fleet about 1/2 theirs, and thats after letting two planets fall to invasion and bolstering the fleet action with defense platforms. Is there anything I can do? Surrender isn't really an option as they want literally all of my planets.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: January 07, 2018, 11:22:52 am »

Are you good at micro? You can split your fleet and while they chase one half forever, you can invade their worlds. Once they lose a planet, the AI tends to obsess with retaking it.

If you want to micro further, make a small but powerful enough fleet to Thunder Run through their systems and pop their spaceports, which cuts off any reinforcements bigger than Corvettes for at least a year.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: January 07, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »

I think micro is my only option here. The only problem with popping spaceports is that they are about 2k in strength and my whole fleet combined is only 4k. I could starve them of resources and get their fleet away from my systems while I build an invasion force to start taking their planets.

Maybe float around with smaller fleets destroying outposts while I constantly build sacrificial frigate fleets to pop their spaceports? and also build that invasion force?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5682 on: January 07, 2018, 01:45:04 pm »

If they are over their fleet capacity (as AIs often do during war) one option is to try and starve out their energy if they have enough unprotected worlds. Send small fleets around to all their unprotected worlds and bombard them. This stops their production, but they still pay building upkeep. If you have their systems surveyed you can specifically target energy producing mines as well. Take out the weaker spaceports if you can and bombard those worlds too. You can destroy mineral producing mines too if you like, especially if they have trading friends nearby - but leave the research stations as they drain energy. You have to keep the ships on the planets to keep the production switched off.

If you're lucky they may be low on energy already and you can get quick results. I managed to successfully do this vs a huge fanatical purifier. Their fleet power dropped hard as soon as the negative energy penalty got applied, and I was able to beat them with my much weaker fleet.

Just note that if there is a trader enclave or friendly empires nearby (not an issue vs fanatical purifier, heh) they will trade for energy - so it may take a while to see results or not work at all depending on how strong their economy is.

Having no energy is just as crippling to the AI as the player. They may even disband a chunk of their ships.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: January 07, 2018, 06:38:02 pm »

I had to abandon the game. Raiding was mildly successful, but the other empire was just too large to cripple.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5684 on: January 07, 2018, 07:20:26 pm »

Small vs large combat is one thing the 2.0 rules changes are supposed to help with. You won't be able to win against overwhelming odds but might be able to force a peace by driving up their war weariness
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 632